Author Topic: Carrier attacks  (Read 309 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Carrier attacks
« on: June 14, 2002, 04:46:10 AM »
Ok, I know it takes 8x1000lb bombs to sink a cv and you lead it one boatlength for evey 10k of altitude you have on the attack, but I still have a question.
Say you up a B17 and hit 5 of 6 1000lbers on the desired cv and get shot down or auger for another fort to finish the job. You reup and drop more bombs on it. Does the cv regenerate or repair damage or will it only take 3 more hits to finish it off?
Is there a regenerate/repair time other than the respawn when captured?
I swear I tried this and scored 5 of 6 and 4 of 6 hits on two attacks against an enemy carrier and didn't sink it. Another guy came along and dropped from his Lancaster and finished the job off.
Anyone know about this?
Thanks in advance for your input on my output.

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Carrier attacks
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2002, 09:12:45 AM »
CV like all other high poundage targets does repair. IE you drop 2k on hanger, if someone else drops another 1k on it in less than half hour it goes down.  

Lag time "appears" to be around a half hour. So it maybe possible to go back and finish that CV but don't waste any time.

This has caused some confusion at times.

Pilot A dropped 2k on CV, then died & went elsewhere. Pilot B ups 20 min later and drops a 1k on cv and it dies. He of course thinks he just sunk CV with a single 1k bomb.

CV damage is the one thing I'd really like to see changed in AH. Objects on the CV should take damage and be killed. IE AA Guns, 5" guns, etc.
Once all objects are dead a 1k bomb would finish it.

Plus it should be easier to strafe CV & do dammage IMO.You can kill Ack on field easily but you can't kill ack on a CV without killing the whole thing.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Carrier attacks
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2002, 02:50:50 PM »
Thanks fer the info Guru Ghosth :)
I also just noticed, that post put me into the 'Senior Member' status.
I know I feel older :rolleyes:

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Hammerhead

Carrier attacks
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2002, 06:08:11 AM »
I  completely agree with Ghosth.
The guns, the AA guns atleast, should be STRAFEABLE. Its plain DUMB to see a 1000k bomb hit the water 2 inches from the a destroyer and those manned acks still firing, (see any naval movie, bomb drop near ship = gunner get injured:D LOL).
But seriously, damage modelling on the carrier group is lousy.
Speaking of which I think the entire battle group is incorrect.
A battle group should consist of two cruisers, nearly six destroyers, two carriers, one main and a secondary supply carrier, and ten non-existant frigates....:D .
But what the heck, I'll settle for just naval acks that can be killed.......:D :D :D

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
Carrier attacks
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2002, 10:14:59 AM »
Originally posted by Hammerhead
I  completely agree with Ghosth.
The guns, the AA guns atleast, should be STRAFEABLE. Its plain DUMB to see a 1000k bomb hit the water 2 inches from the a destroyer and those manned acks still firing, (see any naval movie, bomb drop near ship = gunner get injured:D LOL).
But seriously, damage modelling on the carrier group is lousy.
Speaking of which I think the entire battle group is incorrect.
A battel group should consist of two cruisers, nearly six destroyers, two carriers, one main and a secondary supply carrier, and ten non-existant frigates....:D .
But what the heck, I'll settle for just naval acks that can be killed.......:D :D :D

I totally Agree with Ghosh and Hammerhead.

Damage modeling to the guns would be much more realistic.
It would be nice also to have Direct hits slow the speed of the ship you hit... Therefore causing either the whole fleet to slow down to stay in formation or allow the slow ship to become a straggler...  Great Ideas Guys !!!

BOOT

Offline stynger

• Zinc Member
Carrier attacks
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2002, 01:24:57 AM »
how about some smoke atleast. that would let others know that the cv has already sustained damage,and would impair ship gunners. i posted something about this in the game play forum
big grinD

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
Carrier attacks
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2002, 02:08:44 PM »
I agree with stynger.  When you are talking about targets that take large amounts of dammage, It would be nice to have a visual clue about how much more dammage is required to sink/destroy it.  IE: If I see a smoking and burning carrier, I would know that I could sink it with 2,000 lbs or less.  That means I can call in a heavy fighter to finish the job, or only drop part of my bomb load and spread the rest around on other targets.  It is a shame to drop 8 x 1,000 lb bombs from a Lancaster when only one would do the job.

Offline DW58

• Zinc Member
Carrier attacks
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2002, 05:36:59 PM »
Smoke or something would be nice. I get confused on the whole damage model thing. I dropped 4 1000# from a B-26 the other night and sank a carrier. To my knowledge no one else had dropped anything on it but i suppose someone must have in order for me to kill it with what i dropped.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Carrier attacks
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2002, 10:54:30 PM »
What about when a damaged ship leaks oil?  There was a lot of instances when a ship was damaged and it started leaking its fuel oil. This would add more realism to the fleets.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Carrier attacks
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2002, 03:35:04 PM »
I know this wont happen, but listing ships, and turret flashes would be nice to see as well...