Author Topic: "Immersion" Changes?  (Read 346 times)

Offline jarbo

• Copper Member
"Immersion" Changes?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2002, 04:11:19 PM »
Bullet holes in canopy after being hit some. Just a random dispersion.

A larger CV Class than the one currently modeled, with like 4 different deck spawn points :) perfect for a 4ship to be linedup b4 takeoff

Oh Russian markings for a lend lease C47
And the Japanese plane that was real close to the C47

Jarbo

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
"Immersion" Changes?
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2002, 12:41:16 AM »
God no. I don't want to have to micro manage to play this game.

- by Kratzer

A little side note:

IL-2 has changed a bit after patch 1.03(currently, it is version 1.10). The insane rate of over heating we used to see in IL-2 has passed a bit. The management is quite clear and simple, but not to easy, since it needs certain discipline.

Currently, I think IL-2 engine management is "just right" in terms of game play(not necessarily realism).

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
"Immersion" Changes?
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2002, 08:04:43 AM »
falling debris is modelled (to some degree), not sure if it can hit ya tho...

SKurj

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
"Immersion" Changes?
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2002, 11:12:07 AM »
If the guy doesn't bail out he can ram people on the way down.  I had it happen to me once a long time ago.....freak accident for sure, but it CAN happen.

J_A_B

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
"Immersion" Changes?
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2002, 01:46:52 PM »
It would be neat to see the 37mm rounds have proximity fuses.

It would be much more intense diving onto a field. With 37mm rounds popping all around you.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline STENDEC

• Zinc Member
"Immersion" Changes?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2002, 03:22:07 PM »
How about a functional CV lift? :D

Offline JoeDirt

• Nickel Member
"Immersion" Changes?
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2002, 03:28:24 PM »
something needs to be done about the sky... i dunno what...it just doesnt seem realistic....

Offline MAC

• Zinc Member
"Immersion" Changes?
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2002, 03:50:20 PM »
Awesome suggestions.  I especially like the CV Elevator.  How cool would it be to make the pilots have to unfold the wings after the elevator brings them up  =)

How about these:

REAL and VISIBLE tailhooks on CV capable planes.  Landing on the second wire would give more points than just landing on any of them.

Shell casings pouring out from under the guns.

Damaged ships would create an visible oilslick until repaired or sunk.

A well-placed (OK..PERFECTLY-PLACED)  2k bomb drop could randomly hit the powder room on CV and cause a catastrophic explosion. (KEY WORDS:  Perfect and Random)

Wake disturbance on all vessels.  Would be great to see PT boats bob a bit when they go through another vessels wake.  It would also tone down their accuracy to reality.

Also, real currents on the water with drifting.

CV Pitch and Roll.  Would make landing more challenging and rewarding.  (Maybe a landing officer could stand on landing deck like they did in real life with flags helping you out).

We have black and red outs, but how about smoke-filled cockpits where you are truly in a haze.

Sliding canopies.  You have to manage to open canopy if you are going to bail. If your pilot is too hurt, just like in real life, they send a letter to your loved ones.

Runway landing lights at night.  Makes base vulnerable.  But maybe they can come on when a friendly is within 3k or so.

When you land with a wounded pilot and make it to the fueling pad, perhaps waiting 5 minutes "cures" your pilot.  30 seconds to hot refuel/rearm.  5 minutes for healthy pilot.

Keep them coming!

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
"Immersion" Changes?
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2002, 03:50:32 PM »
Just make AH like IL2 except that.

IL2s gun FM is like the lottory or something. It looks great, even better than AH but its too hard to hit stuff because it's fudged to feel real. The reason why we are more accurate in AH as compared to real life is that.

a. we fly alot so we have practice but then in real life some people are just better shots as well while others cant hit anything no matter how much practice.
b. we have those range icons to figure out the most imortant part of shooting. Get rid of the numeric range and you'll see guys guessing the range with their pipers just like in real life making the same mistakes, time and time again but sometimes getting it right.

The FM in IL2 is balony. Its just like the microchasm of an arena that Janes USAF was. The FM in IL2 "feels" more real than AH IMHO but beyond the feel or handling, the maneuvoes etc... are fakey. It's designed to keep you and the bogeys within yelling distance for a good world war II style turn and burn arcade fite. I think AH could benifit by gaining that more real feel of IL2 in handeling while keeping its dynamic flight envelopes and realistic trajectories of aircraft during flight and combat. Theres no joy right now in just lifting off and flying from point a to point b as you would get in real life flying. Its all about the dogfight which IMHO is only part of a good WWII combat sim. IL2 has a better "feel" in that dept. Taking off feels real in IL2 but landing is way under modeled in IL2. Too hard to orient plane around field then the landing feels rather fakey.

More realistic engine management. This would slow down the average speeds overall and make for better game play and more realistic engagements. Right now everybody flies around at 100% throttle all the time then WEP whenever they want. Thats too much power. In real life, pilots didnt or couldnt fly their planes like that. Not 100% power all the time.

Dont get me wrong, AH is a fantastic game and was in IMHO ahead of its time even with WB then. However IL2 has set a new yardstick in terms of game "feel and immersion" and thats what Im trying to make a statement about. I played IL2 for about a week. I've been playing AH for years.

Just my thoughts...

:)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2002, 04:39:52 PM by senna »

Offline jarbo

• Copper Member
"Immersion" Changes?
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2002, 06:41:07 PM »
I really like the functional CV lift.  How about the re-arm pad at bottom poin of lift. Land hit ALT-R to rearm, elevator lowers, plane rearms and elevator comes back up.  A bigger CV might allow this :)

Jarbo