Author Topic: Icon Labels  (Read 186 times)

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Icon Labels
« on: June 22, 2002, 03:03:15 PM »
If we have label for sp14 why not all the spits?  Same for F4U.  Heck why not all of the planes?  Would not the same rational apply in either case?

Would like to know what kind of plane I am fighting.

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Icon Labels
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2002, 06:17:56 PM »
In air combat you would not be able to tell anyway, so it should stay like it is. During the war the LW guys (for example) would repor having seen a Spitfire that can suddenly keep pace with their planes. LW Command would then label the plane with their own nomenclature. They didn't have a link to the Supermarine factory, so they had no idea what the actual labl was.

The reverse is also true of LW types. In the early stages of the war the Brit's could have easily asked boys living around LW airfields what they knew of local aircraft, but somehow intelligence overlooked that. So, this is why several types and variants were mis-labelled during the war.

It's really not a problem. Spits die really easily, but you have to hit them. ;)

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Icon Labels
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2002, 09:35:48 PM »
I think the point is,
Either we should see the variant models of ALL of the planes, or of NONE of them.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Icon Labels
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2002, 09:41:37 PM »
Originally posted by Innominate
I think the point is,
Either we should see the variant models of ALL of the planes, or of NONE of them.

This man wins the prize for catching the point :)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Icon Labels
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2002, 12:32:34 AM »
Perk planes are supposed to stick out, cuz they're perkplanes.

If you think about it, having it like that prevents an awful amount of whining ("he was flying a superplane and I couldn't even tell what total BS" and so on).  I LIKE having them ID'd like they are too, and indeed an opportunistic pilot can make good use of the horde of enemies a perkplane will attract.  

J_A_B

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Icon Labels
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2002, 12:41:05 AM »
I love a parade.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Icon Labels
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2002, 12:57:05 AM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
Perk planes are supposed to stick out, cuz they're perkplanes.

If you think about it, having it like that prevents an awful amount of whining ("he was flying a superplane and I couldn't even tell what total BS" and so on).  I LIKE having them ID'd like they are too, and indeed an opportunistic pilot can make good use of the horde of enemies a perkplane will attract.  

J_A_B

Then why not id all of them for exactly same reason? :)

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Icon Labels
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2002, 02:02:08 AM »
Following VOSS's thoughts, why put a "bang me" icon on the perk planes then?

Heck, when I fight a g10, they are easy to identify as soon as you see them zoom, I think I will recognize a spit14 the same way.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Icon Labels
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2002, 04:57:10 AM »
Yup, all planes can be quite easily recognisable once you get close, perk icons shouldn't show up until D3 at the most IMO. Upi don't recognise, a TA152 for example (which looks alot different then a 190) at 6000 yards, too far.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Icon Labels
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2002, 09:02:03 AM »
yep.. I think they should all be called out especialy the spits and 109's with their wide variation in performance between versions.

At the very least tho the perk rides with their huge performance advantages should be called out.   Besides... If you fly a perk pane you should be targeted.
lazs

Offline wantok

• Copper Member
Icon Labels
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2002, 07:41:28 PM »
i don't like the way perk icons distort the game... but it would be good to know exactly what you've fought after the fact.

how about this: all icons only show the general plane type with no specific variation info... and the kill message in the text buffer shows something like this:

"L33T4c3 in F4U-4 shot you down"
or
"you shot down L33T4c3 in Me-262"

on a different point - i don't see why victims' names aren't broadcast in the system kill messages... so the system message could be:

"Victory 42 to L33T4c3 in F4U-4 (wantok in Spit I)"
Madina ... AHWiki