Author Topic: A great example of selflessness and teamwork among strangers in the MA...  (Read 133 times)

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
...all entirely to help me, with no benefit for any of the helpers.

Sometime yesterday (Monday) afternoon, the knights were getting pounded. The enemy was making a push to take a major airfield, located at 7,500' alt. and roughly 20 miles from our capitol.

So I mention over ch. 2 that even if you don't care about 'strat' (which is totally fine with me - there are some nights I only care about trying to hit anything with a torpedo from a PT boat) you are going to want to defend A38 (?, I think it was A38) because if our radar gets totally wiped out both opponents are going to jump on us for easy kills and a reset.

A fair number of people silently agree and a big fighter sweep takes of from 30 miles away and heads towards the masses of enemy aircraft pounding A38.

With 4 airfields and a CVG under our control, I roll a Me 262A-1 for the second time ever in the AH MA.

I basically burn a full tank of gas making fighter bombers evade and lose 3,000' of altitude and a bunch of built up speed just before they get within visual range of A38. This is important: A38 is on a big plateau at 7,500' so these guys are basically boring into A38 at 1,000' AGL and at speeds of 250-300 MPH - much easier targets for AA and much more engageable by knights taking off from A38.

During an entire tank of gas I think I fired one actual burst of cannon at a fighter. I missed an Ar 234 that I totally should have killed (still paying mental penance for that one) and shot down a Lancaster III (who loves ya' lazs? ehehheheh) and shot the wing off a B-17G that didn't die (nice ditch/landing whoever you were).

I get so involved in what I'm doing (many many many enemy aircraft present) that at 21,000', maybe 5 miles from A38...nnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeerne eeeeeerneeeerneerneer (insert sickening sound of Me 262A-1 engines running out of fuel).

Now by this time, there are a couple of enemy fighters that are 'stalking' me - building up E and trying to be lined up in the right place at the right time for a good d500 shot on my Me 262A-1.

So I ask for some help. The enemy has by now captured the airfield (small) immediately to the South of A38. We are down to 3 airfields total. I explain over ch. 2 that I am no fuel and no power and gliding into A36 if memory serves (large airfield, on the coast, at sea level). I ask if some guys could head there to cover my landing, because even though I'm a really nice guy I don't want to send some C.202 driver to bed with a huge smile on his face because he shredded a Me 262A-1 and landed the kill.

And lo and behold, with alot of action only 15 miles away, and me not knowing any of these guys really (as opposed to some of the guys I flew WB with for years), I get 3 guys hovering over A36 - with no enemy in sight - just to make sure I have a chance to land. No gurantee they'll get a kill for investing 10 min. of their free time. Saving 200 perks for some guy they don't really 'know'. Pretty cool in my book. Call it 'WB 1.11esque' even. 8)

So a big thanks and a big (S) to Bison, and Moot, and NghtHawk, and to the possible 4th knight  who was there and was missed on the attached screenshot.

A lesson to all in the MA - I won't forget this. Those handles are on a post-it note attached to my monitor. If one of those guys launches a mission, or is on the deck in a 20-1 fight, I'll be along shortly - no matter what kind of mood I am in.

Thanks again,

Mike/wulfie

Offline palef

• Gold Member
Nice post :)

palef
Retired

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
exibit A, above, on why that damn jet should be caged.

Nice post BTW. :)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
It is that type of flying that keeps me coming back to AH time and again. Nice post and to all those he mentions and even to those he does not mention.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"