Author Topic: Should we remove "God" from this too?  (Read 498 times)

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
Should we remove "God" from this too?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2002, 05:42:22 PM »
Originally posted by Kratzer
Nice aggrandizement of what people said. :rolleyes:

Thank you! ;)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2002, 06:06:08 PM »
"Aghh, don't talk about death, it upsets me, in my religion 'death' is referred as 'step to another dimension'"

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2002, 09:51:11 PM »
actually, the Declaration of Independance is NOT a federal document.. I know its tough  for some to grasp..it predates the United States by 13 years..it has as much legal weight as the Federalist Papers. Both landmark works.. just not a government documents..so it can say 'god' all over and not violate Article VI, Section III.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2002, 10:32:27 PM »
Ozark! :D

"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2002, 11:50:16 PM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
Ozark! :D

DITTO!!
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2002, 01:33:04 AM »
Declaration of Indepence is basically an idea put to paper.  A very good one too!  

The Constitution does speak clearly about a separation of church and state and this is the document that is at the core of our nation.  Until there is an amendment made, I believe that our government appearing to back any religious denomination is illegal.  There is no hinderance of anyone worshiping or pledging things to their god in the private setting.  "God" is many things to many people, but not everyone is God fearing and rather put "god" with the likes of the Tooth-Fairy, Easter Bunny and Santa Clause.  If you were made to pledge something to the Tooth Fairy, just how serious of a pledge would it be to you?

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2002, 05:33:40 AM »
Hehe "One nation under the tooth fairy" has a good ring to it :D
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2002, 10:20:00 AM »
I think Ping answered this rather nicely on another thread:

Originally posted by Ping
John 18:36 :   Jesus answered, My Kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
 King James version.

I think that Jesus already commented on seperation of Church and State.
 Are we so Arrogant as to beleive we should tell God what His stand should be?

Jesus wanted no part of Worldly political power, Satan offered him all the kingdoms of the world and he rejected that offer. Should we not follow his example?(those of us who are Christians, Athiests need not apply).
 It seems everyone here is arguing from their own viewpoint, But not once has Gods View been quoted or stated.

It seems all Nations Claim...maybe not Russia or Cuba ;) that God is on their side ex: Nazi Germany....Seems Jesus stated non allegiance to any state for a reason.

Argue this all you want When it comes to issues regarding God, Christians should look to the Bible and base it on that...Not some politician who has other agendas.
sand

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2002, 11:11:59 AM »
yikes

That's a bag of worms I'm not touching.

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2002, 11:13:41 AM »
you want a direct opinion? from somone who wrote it.  

"No religious reading, instruction or exercise, shall be prescribed or practiced [in the elementary schools] inconsistent with the tenets of any religious sect or denomination." --Thomas Jefferson: Elementary School Act, 1817. ME 17:425

pretty damn plain donch think. if one religion had a problem with it its out . and since all religions hate each other the are all totaly out. if you dont like it send your kids to parochial school. ( better drugs anyway and if catholic lots of help for young boys after school)

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2002, 01:23:16 PM »
So who forces anyone to say the Pledge of Allegiance anyway?  When I was a wee young'un we were never forced to say it.  If you had beliefs religious or otherwise that made you feel like you didnt need to say it, you didnt have to.  You just kinda stood there and didnt say nothing.....of course the rest of the kids then just thought you were stupid cause you werent repeating the words along with the rest of us.  ;)  

Hmmmm...you suppose these kids are being peer-pressured into saying the word "God" in school?  :eek:

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2002, 01:30:22 PM »
Hmmmm...you suppose these kids are being peer-pressured into saying the word "God" in school?

Yes, they are.  

"god" belongs in the church.  If you don't get to say the word "god" enough in your life, go to church more but don't bring your church into my govt...on my money, in my schools or at my freakin' sporting events.  It's very simple and we all know this idea:  separation of church and state.

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2002, 05:10:21 PM »
So...if these folks have such strong anti-pledge of allegiance beliefs, then why are they letting a little peer pressure force them into reciting something that they dont want to recite?

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2002, 08:06:57 PM »
Sling, who is anti-pledge?  Let's go back to your qoute:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmmm...you suppose these kids are being peer-pressured into saying the word "God" in school?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The word "God" is in the pledge.  Yes, children are pressured into regurgitating the word "God" because that is the state-accepted version of the pledge and that is what everyone has been chanting since the 1950s.

Our Constitution is the backbone of this country and clearly states a separation of church and state.  Everyone is free to worship in his own home and in his own church enough so that it should not be necessary to do so in the public sector.  Basically, teaching young minds to pledge this country "under God" is a form of brainwashing.  For the State to purport our country is under God is illegal.  But I realize the goal of most religions is the conversion of non-believers and so I am not surprised at the uproar behind this decision because the non-believers don't have to endure other's beliefs anymore in this little instance.

What will be interesting is how this will affect Christmas and Hannuka celebrations in public schools.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2002, 08:21:19 PM »
i say ban xmas , save me a ton of money...

say , wait a min. the schools that ban saying "god" get a week off for xmas , what is that about?

halloween is a pagan holiday should it be allowed in schools?

the military is part of the govt , why do they have chaplians??

why does the congress open each session with a prayer, dosen't that offend the atheists ??

the washington redskins should be named washington saxons, then you can read about the saxons defeating the vikings instead of the redskins defeating vikings ( i know redskins never win any games , but you get my point )
« Last Edit: June 30, 2002, 08:23:58 PM by john9001 »