Author Topic: aces high may not last long  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
aces high may not last long
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2002, 11:34:52 AM »
Originally posted by Flossy
SAC didn't work like that!  All the information was kept on your own computer, and only you saw the skins you specified!  Nobody else saw them, and in fact somebody else would probably have them set differently, and only they would see them as they had set them up.  Combined with customisable terrains (we could change the look of a terrain in the same way to look like desert, snow, etc), no two players would see things exactly the same unless they set the same skins/terrains as each other.  Everybody else not using SAC would see the default colours - not a problem at all!  :)

So a player could setup these skins so that enemy planes were a bright neon green instead of the original camoflage? If so, then this is what would kill it for most people I think. If would effectly negate any of the various camoflage schemes used. Need to spot those NOE C47s sneaking into your base ... color em bright pink. ;)

I like the idea of HTC controlled skins for different campaigns ... camoflage was different in the desert than it was in the Pacific, etc...

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2002, 11:39:05 AM »
Originally posted by Exile
So a player could setup these skins so that enemy planes were a bright neon green instead of the original camoflage? If so, then this is what would kill it for most people I think. If would effectly negate any of the various camoflage schemes used. Need to spot those NOE C47s sneaking into your base ... color em bright pink. ;)
Although that was possible - how soon can you see the colour of an aircraft anyway?  I think we can see the icon before the colour, so what would it matter what colour it was?  :p

Where SAC comes into it's own is when flying in formation, especially during a scenario!  Seeing a group of historically accurate aircraft skins is an awesome sight, and adds to the whole atmosphere of a scenario....  :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2002, 11:42:00 AM by Flossy »
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2002, 11:53:23 AM »
Player skins is a whole lot of fun. I've got my stable, took me months to put together, wasn't flying much.

I disagree on terrain though. While the plane skins and cockpits rock over there, I think there terrain sucks. It's called green jello. That and while the sky and sun are very good, there is a permanent cloud layer. ALWAYS grey over there. Like a summer in San Francisco. And I've had enough of those ;)

I found the terrain here suprisingly good. In fact I REALLY like it in comparision. Mate the sky from there, with the terrain from here:D

Have the latest update over there, checked the Main, 70 people......

It echo's in there.

HT can look foreward to more pilots ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2002, 12:11:03 PM by poopster »

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2002, 12:09:01 PM »
Well put Flossy, I've heard these arguments again and again everytime I brought it up in Warbirds all tose years ago, the SAC really opened my eyes to what we could have and all those I remember shouting about cheats are now industriously working on their own skins :D It can be done and the effect on cheating even if someone can hack these files is minimal due to the icon system and the range that planes are skinned by the engine anyway as Flossy quite rightly points out. I think in the long run things like this should be limited to squads anyway as is the nose art, HTC could check the skin just as they check the noseart uploaded. For scenario's then we could have special art packs released by the CM team for a particular event.

Offline cobra427

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2002, 03:43:47 PM »
i love WB2 and AH the same ..... AH a lil more beacause its way better but i play WB2 with hundreds of ppl for free so i like massive wars in WB2 and i like gameplay in AH ...... and soon ill like alot of other games i dont play now bbut im finally old enough to get a job and ill be like stupid .... the "newb" and ill be comparing WWIIOL to AH ..... ill have my ups and downs for both but that doesnt mean one isnt better than the other .... just IMO but other ppl might like WB3 for the custom skins and more tanks ....maby even the F86 Saber is the reason ..... he is just showing ppl what he likes hes introducing ppl to a game like ppl did to get alot of you ppl in this game ...... a friend told me about WB2 and this game ...... and some other games that i didnt like but he did i respected him for that but i didnt play them i tryed them i still have them i get on them when he is on but thats about it........ps i have to post a pic from WB2 while i was online :D its the true non edited 3d graphics.....they arnt to good but hey its a game

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2002, 04:16:10 PM »
I actually like AH graphics, they look fine, and they dont look cartoonish and wierd like in other sims. Plus AH terrain is awesome.

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Re: aces high may not last long
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2002, 04:20:22 PM »
Originally posted by sutpid
i was jsut checkin a sight for the game warbirds  and it looks alot better that Aces high  i am yet to fly this game  but if the pics are at all like the game is  DAMN.  but  the draw back i see so far is  well over 100megs which is gunna take time to d/l. i dont know how many planes are in it  but i wont change  its $25 a month  and i'd rather stick to $15.

All I will say is L O L !!!!

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2002, 06:42:18 PM »
Heheh Revvin,forgot about that,I loved makin skins for WBs3,especially the Hurricane,and I had a lot of fun in AW making terrains and skins for SAC,Id love it if we had the chance to do the same in AH,but as has been said,theres always some sad person who would do their best to cheat,Im not sure about the best way to implement something likes skins etc. :/
Joc

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2002, 12:38:37 AM »
Exile the enemy planes in AH allready are bright red unless you turn icons off . I think SAC for AH would be great .

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2002, 12:53:03 AM »
It would make a huge difference if a player could have all bad guys show up in neon green. huge.
anyone that says different has never been in a canyon fight,
nor shot at a ground vehicle.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2002, 01:17:36 AM »
Originally posted by cobra427
i love WB2 and AH the same ..... AH a lil more beacause its way better but i play WB2 with hundreds of ppl for free so i like massive wars in WB2 and i like gameplay in

FH:(
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2002, 01:25:32 AM »
Ideally, and IMO, a sim should have plane graphics of WBIII, cockpits, terrain, damage model and effects of Il-2 with both Il-2 and AH parts of FM model.

Player made 3d models would be cool aswell. Can make some if HTC will be interested.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2002, 01:37:22 AM by Hristo »

Offline cobra427

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2002, 01:29:06 AM »
whats wrong with FH adds some really cool planes for free

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2002, 01:40:18 AM »
Originally posted by cobra427
whats wrong with FH adds some really cool planes for free

whats wrong with it?

I'm not going to even touch that one. I'll let some of the other sim vets handle it.

All I'll say is there is a damn good reason why even the mention of freehost on AGW gets a post locked down quicker then you can say gunman26
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2002, 01:44:27 AM »
Read the news, player customized plane skins coming to AH !