Author Topic: Padlock... who does and doesn't use it  (Read 905 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Padlock... who does and doesn't use it
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2001, 10:00:00 AM »
Good one Westy !

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2001, 10:05:00 AM »
Westy, I see his comment hit your forehead and made the noise "thud" when it tried to penetrate your mind.

Remember all that stink just before padlock was added? So many stated "Adding padlock will bring more people" "adding padlock will get me to fly more" "adding padlock will help me get laid!" etc...

Here we are after HT spent a while coding it, only to find out it's barely used.

There's coding to help disabled people, and then there's a waste of coding.

Of course I'm sure this will get the more dull minded to jump on me "oh blah blah blah I'm righteous, I'm better, etc".

No, I'm not saying Padlock is bad.. but if only one person is using it you have to admit that is a waste of time/coding.
-SW

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2001, 10:05:00 AM »
Neeneer Neeener! take that DJ!

:p

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2001, 10:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:
No, I'm not saying Padlock is bad.. but if only one person is using it you have to admit that is a waste of time/coding.
-SW

You have a good point there.

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2001, 10:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:

Only one person who uses it and that's only because of a disability?

AKDejaVu

Its never only to be disabled, try chop of a thumb and see how u do in life ?
well even if only one person use it i think its worth the efford, and maybe a lot just dont read this or atleast dont post much here.
Actually its very much the same names going on  :D writing here.

airguard

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: air_guard ]

Offline Effdub

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.netsurf.de/robert.sander/
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2001, 10:14:00 AM »
wait a minute!! "adding padlock will help me get laid!" Arrgh! All those years wasted flying AH with snap-views  :(

:D

Effdub

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2001, 10:16:00 AM »
I don't use it.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
I understand your POV SW but it's one person among the poster of this BBS (not one among the reader of this BBS neither among the MA and H2H players) so without a representative sample to the HA population what can we demonstrate ?...

Nothing...except that the number of sample is to low...

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
Yeah EffDub, see when you fly with snap views you will grow an unusually large right thumb which scares the women away.

Now with padlock, you only have to press one key when the enemy is in your view.

No more unusually large thumb and you don't sit there talking to the women and moving your thumb when you look around.   ;)
-SW

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2001, 10:20:00 AM »
Right Straffo.

I'm not saying "well in hindsight we obviously didn't need padlock", from what I've seen though.. I don't think we needed it.

From my understand of how it works, it can only maintain a lock on the enemy as long as he doesn't go behind canopy structures or wings/tail/dash/nose etc.

So basically you can only maintain lock when he's right there on your 12Oc?

I could be mistaken though, but it just seems like a "worthless" system... going by other game padlocks that will follow you around the whole time.

The latter system would be, IMO, better for a disabled person because it doesn't require you to reacquire the target and lock him each time.

Of course, with my whole 0 hours using padlock, I could be mistaken on how it works.   ;)
-SW

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2001, 10:26:00 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, if padlock helps one disabled person play this game who couldn't play before, then it was worth it.

But then again, it's HTC's responsibility to decide if they're wasting their time or not, not mine.

anRky
(never tried padlock)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2001, 10:32:00 AM »
Just FYI, using the "disabled person" line as a reason for padlock doesn't hold water as much as it use to.

Joysticks, and other gaming peripherals are moving in the direction of accomodating both left and right handed people.

As an example: The X36/X35 combo has two hats on both the throttle and joystick. Granted, the two hats on the throttle do not look like the hats you are accustomed to, but they work just the same (if not better.. they've both outlasted the X36's hats).

I use the hats on the throttle to give me multiple up/down views. Like forward/left/down forward/left/up etc

Anyways..
-SW

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2001, 10:33:00 AM »
I'm not trying to be caloused towards someone with a disability benifitting from the padlock view.

I remember when the debate raged... the arguments for and against.  Disability was not an issue.  Those arguing for the padlock view are either not here or are not using it.

I'm glad that it means one more person can play AH.  I just don't know that making the game playable for all disabled persons is<should bee> the responsibility of HTC unless its an easy fix. Color blindness and icons comes to mind... an easy fix implimented for a reason.

Once again... while I'm glad that someone can play because of the padlock view, I'm very disappointed that it seems he's the only one using it.  Its not really that difficult to understand now is it?

AKDejaVu

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2001, 10:36:00 AM »
I understand your POV SW but it's one person among the poster of this BBS (not one among the reader of this BBS neither among the MA and H2H players) so without a representative sample to the HA population what can we demonstrate ?...

Padlock views were discussed extensively on this BBS.  Where are its supporters now?

AKDejaVu

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
" I'm very disappointed that it seems he's the only one using it.  Its not really that difficult to understand now is it?"

Yes. Because how can you KNOW that one person out of the 10% or so that post on these boards is the ONLY person using it?

I don't use it fwiw.  But you're remark was so calous and ignorant sounding I posted with what I felt was an appropriate reply earlier.

As for the remarks and the debates prior to padlocks implementaion in AH as I recall most  players posting here were against it with the exception of a few vocally adamant folks who insisted it would bring more folks. Wrong. Most would never have paid $30/mo just for the inclusion of padlock.  I do believe most of those folks have either moved on to WW2O or gone back to FA 2.5 after thier 2 week trial(s).

Westy