Author Topic: Padlock... who does and doesn't use it  (Read 907 times)

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Padlock... who does and doesn't use it
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2001, 11:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:

Padlock views were discussed extensively on this BBS.  Where are its supporters now?

AKDejaVu

In your usual over dominating manner DJV you miss the obvious.  Let me explain.

First off, if you feel like getting "LAMBLASTED" just say you are a PadLock supporter. Who needs it?

I have used PadLock in other Sims and really enjoyed it.  However; it is the implementation in those Sims that differs from the implementation in AH.

Other Sims, (Boxed Type) use a smooth scrolling padlock, with visual orientation cues.  Once you become accustom to using this form of PadLock the Sim becomes more realistic.

This is probably the most realistic view system possible on a computor, because this is how it is really done by real pilots in real life.  BTW the PadLock view system was designed by a real pilot.

AH uses a "Snap to View" type PadLock.  The reason this makes it very hard to use IMO is that it is extremely disorientation on the changing of snap views.  Your mind has trouble re-orientation when it is done so rapidly.

This system was designed very well IMO, for a "PadLock Compromise" not for a true PadLock.

Now that I have taken your bait hook, line and sinker I will continue.  :)

I believe the biggest draw back to any PadLock being used here at AH was the computer AI factor.  IE: The perfect target track afforded by the computor not the player.  This was a very hard rub to alot of players, and I don't blame them.

For the record, I tried the AH PadLock but found that the "Carple Tunnel Creating Very Unrealistic Snap View System" to be more effecient.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2001, 11:28:00 AM »
I tried it once, but prefer the snap views.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2001, 11:31:00 AM »
This is more or less in response to Mino:

It ain't realistic until we have a monitor system or some form of viewing shell all the way around our body.

Until then, it's just a technological compromise.   ;)
-SW

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2001, 11:46:00 AM »
I haven't ever tried padlock, but I don't think the programming effort was a complete waste.  I believe the "six call" is based on the padlock routines, and I use that feature all the time.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2001, 11:59:00 AM »
Good point Popeye.