Author Topic: New bombing explained(with pictures)  (Read 3401 times)

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
New Bombing Method Totally Explained
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2002, 09:40:24 AM »
Excellent walkthrough Kweassa!

Deserving of a training credit IMO, cause you know everyone who's helping newbies with bombing is gonna refer them to this thread :D

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2002, 09:41:36 AM »
Probably the best post I've seen.  A huge for the time and effort Kweassa.

Now we can get down to some REAL bombing and now we'll need REAL fighter cover.

Sparks

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2002, 09:51:35 AM »
Kweassa:

!  A lot of folks have chimed in but this is truly excellent work!  I'm posting the link to this thread for the 412th to read!

Tango, XO
412th FS Brauco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline RRAM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2002, 10:28:11 AM »
Originally posted by Virage
Do you have to mark the target when calibrating?  Or can it be any point on the ground?

in my experience, marking any point will do the trick.

My experience is 90% of bombs into selected target area...so I'd say it works :D

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2002, 10:30:24 AM »
Wow Kwessa...

Thanks for putting the time and effort into this lesson.

HiTech should give you a months free service for writing a manual this concise...

I am sending the link to this thread to all of my Squad.

Thanks and Salute

Offline airbull

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2002, 10:32:42 AM »
Kweassa: salute:) fantastic job helped alot thanks
'Crashed slow-rolling near ground. Bad show'

http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2002, 10:35:28 AM »
thanks for the post/lesson

question;

why are you dropping before the point you targeted? Isn't the drift calculated so that the bombs will hit chosen center when hairs are on original chosen point/target (Y) ?

how much lead would you give it? wouldn't it vary by speed & alt? whats the purpose of the "Y" if you have to drop before it? Just to get it close? Just wondering... thanks again for taking the time for the tutorial - it helps.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2002, 10:46:37 AM »
All I would say is it is alot less complex then that... and bombing is alot more accurate than this tutorial would have you believe.

Get to the alt you want to bomb at.
note the throttle setting..(calibrate at 3/4 throttle and you will have more time over the field)
open your doors. let the plane slow down.
You will have to bomb at this altitude and this speed to be effecitve.
Go to the bomb sight
Go to calibrate mode.
Pick a spot on the ground.. ( I watch for a nice mark target as I fly) As far as I know the alt of the calbrate target is irellivent. Only how closely you match your speed and alt at drop to your speed and alt at calibration
Use the joystick to put the cross hairs on it.
Let the cross hairs settle in for a sec till your steady.
Hold down the mark key for as long as you can.
(5 seconds is easy)
When you release the mark key it will tell you to click on the target on the map to put the target alt in..

.. leave calibrate mode by hiting calibrate key again.

now
If you had a very steady mark..
and if you fly at the speed you where at and the alt you where at during the calibration, and if you are reasobnably steady during your drop, you can still hit very accuratly...

you can definatly take out acks at 10k with 100 pound bombs..I got three in my first pass with 3 bombs...and there are 3 of you dropping...

You can certainly do several passes at a base just like you used too. but you have to do the long bomb runs that are described..cause you have to get back to our alt and speed almost perfectly..

Totaly different bombing game...

this system is a blast...
Thanks HTC.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2002, 11:16:59 AM »
Kweassa

HiTech

Offline StracCop

• Copper Member
      • http://www.digitaldioramas.com/
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2002, 11:39:34 AM »
What map was that...I couldn't help but notice that the desert had greened up.

Offline Rocstar3

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2002, 11:42:01 AM »
THX for the tip
:D

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2002, 11:45:07 AM »
Kweassa!!!!!!!!

I figured out the calibration yesterday when the game got updated and it was a lengthy process of trial and error....your post with the pictures was simply OUTSTANDING!

I drop things for a living and have to give a 2cents comment in there as well.......Make sure your plane is straight, level, and established on airspeed when doing your run!!!!!!!  Anything else risks error on your run.

GREAT POST:D

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Re: 6. Marking the target
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2002, 11:53:20 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
When you have found your target, and have placed the cross hairs on it, zoom in with the "Z" key and control the zoom level(preferably maximum zoom) with "[" and "]" keys.

Once it is maximum zoomed in, press the (default) "Y" key for more than 2 seconds. Make sure the cross hairs don't move while you are doing this.
Wouldn't it be more accurate to mark a point immediately below you rather than on the target itself?  :confused:

Great write-up BTW - obviously a lot of hard work!    :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2002, 12:08:48 PM by Flossy »
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Alino

• Zinc Member
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2002, 12:00:08 PM »
Kweassa thanks a lot for this Explanation. You made a lot of work for us all.
                         <<<>>

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2002, 12:28:54 PM »
Pongo:

Yes, what you say is true. Knocking FH by FH style of pin point bombing is still possible, but as you mentioned in some other post yourself, it is widely inefficient. Each passes will need a long traverse from the target to gently turn the formation again, and from what I have found out, in something like a large airbase, by the time you knock out every hangar, the first one you dropped would be popping up again :)

Eagler:

In truth, I am not dropping before the place I have "targeted". The mark process is really measuring the relative speed, so as other people have pointed out, you really don't have to 'target' the crosshairs on the object when calibrating.

Since the open doors/mark/measure alt process already calibrates the speed and altitude info into the "green" bomb sight, the lead does not vary. If you have calibrated correctly, the first bomb dropped will land on where the crosshair was when the 'drop bombs' button was pushed. The rest of the bombs land traversing forward from that first point. So, what really varies is how long the rest of the bombs traverse from the first drop point - and this is determined by salvo and delay.

Flossy:

Any point on the ground would work. There is no difference in accuracy because in a bomb run, the bombers are flying in a constant speed.

Tthe reason I chose to demonstrate it by moving the stick to mark the hairs on the target was 1) to do it in a lil' bit more immersive/realistic fashion, and 2) the target on the ground is a better reference to use than just any arbitrary point on the ground.

The reason why the target further of in front of you is a better reference than the ground directly below you is, because, it is way easier to keep steady the cross hairs and mark it for 2 seconds. (human sight perspectives and some physics have to do with this.. kinda hard to explain. The further out the crosshairs are, the less they relatively travel, and thus easier to keep still at a single spot for two seconds - try it yourself).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2002, 12:52:58 PM by Kweassa »