Author Topic: Could someone give me a quick run-down of the major Aces High Issues :) ??  (Read 804 times)

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
Rather than reading through a huge list of old posts, could someone give me quick history lesson on the hot topics?

I hear people talking about "EZ" mode, about certain planes that are "bad" for the game, etc etc.

I would like to know who is who, and who the major active Squads are in the game.

I'm also curious to know opinions about the best fighters, and why you like them. Also, are there some of the planes that are more or less accurate than they were in real life?

Thanks  
See ya in the sky.

BotaBing

funked

Just play BotaBing.  
Let your experiences with the game shape your opinions, not the hot air (including mine) which is exhausted on this board.

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Ummm quick?

-BEst squad. Jg2. Stop.

-Best guns. Hispanos. Stop.

-Best country. Knights. Stop.

-Best plane. Me109G10 (IMHO). Stop.

-Best squad. Jg2. Stop.

-Easiest plane. SpitIX. Stop

-Hardest plane to fly. Me109G10. Stop.

-Best squad. Jg2. Stop.

-Worse 20mm gun. Mauser MG151/20. Stop.

-Dweeb-plane-o-the-week. N1K2. Stop.

-Best squad. Jg2. Stop.

-Hardest plane to fly[edit]FIGHT in. Fw190A8. Stop.

-Dweebest guy in AH. FunkedUp. Stop.    

-Nicest, handsome guy in AH. RAM. Stop        

-Did I say that the best squad is JG2? . STOP!!!

Time for my pills (STSANTA...NOT THE STICK ONES!!!!                        )

------------------
Ram, out

Fw190D9? Ta152H1? The truth is out there
JG2 "Richthofen"------------->REMEMBER, THE BEST SQUAD AROUND!

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 06-01-2000).]

funked

The best plane for a beginner is the P-38L.  Engine/prop torque is a big stumbling block for newcomers, and the P-38L doesn't suffer from it (counter-rotating engines/props).  And the P-38L does everything well enough that you are not at a disadvantage.

After that I would rank the La-5FN, Spitfire Mk. IX, and Fw 190A-8 in that order.  They all have pleasant handling.  They each have a weakness though - La-5FN has short range,  Spitfire is a little slow, and the Fw 190A-8 doesn't turn well at low speeds.

P-51D is a good choice too.  A little trickier to handle than the others, but IMHO the best fighter in the game.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 05-31-2000).]

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member

Originally posted by funked:
The best plane for a beginner is the P-38L.  

Cc but note I said "easiest plane", no the best plane for beginner.

Once you know to counter the torque (easy), the Spit is much more forgiving than the P38. its slow, yes. But still easy to fly and very well armed for a newbie.

IMHO.

P.S: and I wish the only drawback for the 190 was its lack of turning. That sucking climbrate is way worse than turning, at least for me.

(I'm praying for D9 to come soon)

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 05-31-2000).]

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Funked the P-38L was a good ship till you guys convinced them it should be nerfed for playability and #$@! play balance.

personally I think they made the induced drag to high now,

it dosn't turn better or accelerate faster than a p51 either in AH.

[This message has been edited by Citabria (edited 05-31-2000).]
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

funked

Cit you are kidding right?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Citabria Said.

Funked the P-38L was a good ship till you guys convinced them it should be nerfed for playability and #$@! play balance.

It's post like this that are on the top of the whine list ,not called for, totaly incorrect,Just a pet peive of yours along with icon's, that a lot of us get realy tired of.

If you don't belive the 38 is modled correctly do some research. and Find some HARD data.

HiTech.

funked

I think this is the thread Cit is talking about.  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum9/HTML/000312.html

There is no discussion of gameplay, only the laws of aerodynamics.  The key moment is when Niklas does some calcs to estimate the induced drag of the P-38L vs. the Me 109G-10.  This apparently led Pyro to realize that he made a substitution error in his own calculations for the P-38L.  Not a theoretical error mind you, just plugging in the wrong value.  And sure as hell not a "playability" change.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 05-31-2000).]

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
Calculating induced drag is easy   Its the skin friction and wave drag thats trickier (unless you have a prototype to test). The best way to calculate induced drag (and lift coefficient) with limited computer resources is to use the "vortex lattice" method, where you create a series of horseshoe vortices over the surface of the wing and use their circulation to find the lift distribution on the wing. The results of this method are pretty good up to about 14 degrees AOA since it doesn't account for seperation (plus the fact that you should alter your form drag at high AOA since the exposed area of the wing becomes more significant.

JENG

To get this thread back on topic  

Don't worry about the hot issues on the BB. You'll soon catch up.

Hot issue 1: The level of überness of the F4u-1C (aka Cannonhog). You've got some strong talkers on both sides of the fence on this one. Best to just stay out of it... btw if ya want to start a topic that will list high on the hitmark (start the BBQ   ) go with the cannonhog.
Hot issue 2: Ez (easymode) in the MA. This all started when the Ez mode was discontinued in WB, and the followup thread in AGW (unofficial BB for WB). HT made some remarks and alot of guys started making assumptions on the topic. At the moment nothing is realy known about the implementation of it in AH. (Another nice one if ya want to start a flamewar).

Who's who? Well alot of guys are well known being on the BB (posting alot) or as good 'sticks'... some are both   Here are a few that stand out IMO (most of them are ol WB sticks). You'll get to know most of the guys that fly in your timezone and country of course... so don't worry.
rooks: Lephturn, Vila, Funked, (oops ran outa names... sorry never flown rook so don't know the rookies that good   )
bishop: Hangtime, wardog, natedog, superfly(both HTC guys), torque (for some a nemesis), citabria, yeager, etc, etc
knight: Kieren, Ghosth, Ripsnort, Ram, Saintaw (a posting maniac   ), leonid, aper, ammo, badger, hristo, stsanta, visconti, axe etc, etc. (lol I'm knight after all   )

Bout the major squads... well I suggest just looking them up on the squadboard. You can also just ask on country channel or watch the textbuffer.

Mmmm the best fighters... well it's the pilot that makes the difference. Some guys fly 90% of the time the same plane and get realy good in them cause they know it in and out. The best plane for a new guy is IMO the spitIX (best turn, good guns, easy handling, good E retention) and the p38 (specialy cause it's got no torque and all guns in the nose). Best thing to do is to experiment... just fly alot of planes and then make up your mind and stick to one until you know it inside and out.

Bout FM being out of whack... well they seem very accurate to me... but then again what do I know (ps: that's also a good one to start a flamewar... just say XXXX plane's FM sucks!! and I can lit the BBQ   )

Seeya in the unfriendly skies  

------------------
BEE(JENG)
=CO=II/JG2~Richthofen~
JG2 "Richthofen"

'Nemo Me Impune Lacessit'

[This message has been edited by JENG (edited 05-31-2000).]

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34

Originally posted by RAM:

-Hardest plane to fly. Me109G10. Stop.

-Hardest plane to fly in. Fw190A8. Stop.

I can only conclude that RAM flies his G10 hanging outside the cockpit trying to reach the stick lying there.  

------------------
"Head-ons are for pilots that don't know what their next move should be"

Ltn. Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
RAM has had too many stickpills  

How are them tight jeans, ram?

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
ROFL!...YOU LIZARDS!!!!

heheheheh well in fact when I am in a G10 I fly like I am REALLY hanging out of the plane trying to reach for the stick  

Watch the edit...I meant that Fw190 is the hardest plane to fight in   but late night hours made me say that wrong.

StSanta...heh...you jealous?...I can send some of them to you. 50$ each pill  

hehehehehee