Author Topic: Some insight into the current AK AH map design.  (Read 153 times)

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
Some insight into the current AK AH map design.
« on: July 06, 2002, 12:48:58 PM »
For a couple of years, I worked in wargame design/development.

First off, I cannot believe lazs doesn't like the map. It should give him even more time to climb his Ta 152H-1 to 30,000' altitude! 8)

Anyways - just a comment on the 'pie' shape. Some people seem to think this is silly.

The map wasn't meant to be historical, and so the 'pie' shape is basically an ideal shape for 3 sides fighting in the MA - which is supposed to be a tactical/operational/'strategic' 'chess game' fought with aircraft and vehicles.

The 'pie' shape means that each side has an equal ammount of 'front line' facing 2 opponents at the 'beginning' of every 'map reset'. Ideally this prevents terrain anomalies from putting one side at a disadvantage.

In other words - each team has an equal # of airfields, AI defensive firepower, etc. facing in every applicable direction at the start of a 'war'. That's about the only balance you can plan when you are dealing with 3 sides with no AI units - make sure the terrain for the 'war' is as balanced as it can be until the humans unbalance the 'war' thru other means.

Just some 'theory' behind the map design. Also, chill out. In two weeks there will be adjustments to alot of things if needed. There usually are in AH, which is why I like it better than anything else available.

Mike/wulfie

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2002, 12:57:44 PM »
Wulfie,

Don't sweat the complaints. There are folks who will compl;ain about anything new. Some of the so called "realists" have no clue that this is a MMOG based on air combat with a few other things thrown in not a full blow simulation. If it were a sim they wouldn't pay to have their play turned off for a time period after every death. :eek:

The new map you made opens up the arena to play like it was before the massive influx of players. Now you can pick your fights as they are spread out. Thanks!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2002, 01:16:36 PM by Maverick »
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2002, 01:01:24 PM »
Well said.

Also important, it doesn't matter what it looks like on the clip board.  From the air or ground, the terrain looks great and is conducive to a variety of fun fights.

If you don't like the way it looks, just zoom the map in more, use the Shift key and drag the map around.

Spend more time flying, and less staring at the Pizza, and you'll have more fun.

eskimo

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2002, 01:46:15 PM »
It can be a sticky problem to squeeze a perfectly balanced 3 sided war onto a square map.  

I told HT he needs to change to a 2 or 4 sided war to make things easier for the map designers.

He just gave me a prune face and said tuff. ;)

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2002, 02:19:10 PM »
lol theres more then 1 wedge....Ive never been off my slice yet...

Im scared ..its a big world out there..Its funny to see som1 gain bases,,,,and your like,,well wherever the hell that is its not on my pie..lolololol

"what is this.....Hair Pie?"
Takashi-----Revenge of the Nerds

Love BiGB
xoxoxo

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2002, 09:02:31 AM »
got no problem with the shape.   the alts are a little silly.   the map is too cluttered and right now people are having a hard time getting around in it.   I think the furballers will allways have a hard time getting around in such cluttered maps.  

I would love to see an early war area in such a large map.
lazs

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2002, 11:51:05 AM »
Too high.

Wierd shape.

Mars.

Too much a sci-fi gamer map and not a real world earth map.

Cmone on dont you feel wierd climng up to 20K, then only being 8,000 feet higher than a field which is on the edge of a 11,000 foot deep ravine that drops straight down.

It's simply too ridiculous to maintain any suspension of disbelif of flying WW2 airplanes.

If terrain plausaibilty is so irrelevant to AH why fuss over FM, or guns or damage.

Basically this map sucks and is quite possibly the worst one ever. Maybe I will make enemies with the AKsquad by saying this  but It's simply how I feel.

Earth please, not sci-fi Mars.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2002, 11:57:07 AM by GRUNHERZ »

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2002, 03:06:23 PM »
SO whjat u guy swant ..GREEN HAERT???

a flat piece of land???

The canyons are KIK ASSSS

AND u dont like launching off a base at 11k and dropping right doen into =valley???

I god ..Thank god there is much more positve repsonses then yours!

It's simply too ridiculous to maintain any suspension of disbelif of flying WW2 airplanes.

WHAT????

Too much a sci-fi gamer map and not a real world earth map.

Gee what do you want...Tunsiania..thst would be boring as hell...

what you want germany,,,,,,arent there any mtns in that counrty???

Love BiGB

xoxoxo

P.s.  sissies

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2002, 12:53:30 AM »
I want a map like Baltic, it has pretty much everything.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2002, 01:29:41 AM »
I must admit this terrain is growing on me.

Although Id prefer if it was in a rotation of at least half a dozen maps a bit more believable.  Get to work you topographers!
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns