Author Topic: The MAP, on further contemplation, tis a fine first large map effort.  (Read 128 times)

Offline peterg2

• Copper Member
I have been one of the more vitriolic critics of the this new map. I take no pride in that. It has been rather upsetting for me personally. After chilling out with some time away from this whole game deal (Hey it's Summer out there guys.) I can see my comments and post threads were initiated by total frustration caused by a dramatic change to a game I thoroughly enjoy. Let's face it, it's still the best sim...period.

The AK's, HTC, and people in the know, were more aware of the details of the impending release of the Circular 60 Degree Divided Expanded Desert Texture High Terrain Map (aka, the PIZZA) than me, and probably most of the other members. So, logging on one day last week expecting to find the usual game available, and finding a radically changed Map, threw me for a shock, as one of my squadies put it. Maybe if I had more of an idea of what to expect, and its impact, I would not have been so upset.

I assume most criticisms of the game are the result of this radical MAP change. Maybe if people get away from the game for a bit and think about it, They'll chill out about the MAP.

The game we were accustomed to playing has changed. We can't go back to the old MAPs. I assume HTC's business plan necessited the change. If HTC doesn't change, they could go out of business, and we would have no game to play at all.

So, I assume most detractors will adjust eventually to the new MAPs. The time it takes people to adjust will vary. But, hopefully, most people will adjust.

The AK's did a commendible job on this first MAP with the HTC specifications. I know from personal experience in game development what a bear it is to construct a level or MAP of such magnitude. They're all probably totally sick of looking at it because they had to look at it for so many hours during construction and testing.

And after so much effort, I react by throwing stones. Their intention was most certainly not to upset me or anyone else, but to create the best MAP they could possibly assemble. So, I really feel like crap now. My apologies to all I have offended.

So, MAP critics, I know you're upset about the NEW FIRST MAP, but, if I can chill out, relax and enjoy this FIRST MAP, then probably most of the other critics can too. It's just frustration guys. I know. But,it will pass. Give it time. Take a breather. Take in a sunset, etc. It's still the finest PC flightsim entertainment you can get for 50 cents a day.

(Would someone please pass me the crow.)

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
The MAP, on further contemplation, tis a fine first large map effort.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2002, 08:30:53 PM »
peter

good post. (i dont mean sound too fanboish either)
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2002, 08:59:34 PM »
peter, always takes character to apologize. No doubt emotions are high all around, please accept my apology for any offense.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2002, 09:09:51 PM »
No drama.  There was a lot of change in one version for everyone to digest.

HTC can learn from what worked well in our map and what didn't to make better maps in the future.  Not everything we tried necessarily was sucessful.  But you'll never know if its not tried.  You got to start somewhere.

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2002, 08:22:27 AM »
Punt &

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2002, 08:24:10 AM »
peterg2
JG11

Vater

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2002, 08:58:08 AM »
The overall peace-sign pizza look didn't do much for me, but when seen at 20,000 feet from a cockpit and having limited range, the map really isn't all that bad.  The variations in ground textures, the caverns, the mountains, the deserts, the ocean-wide canals with islands...its not all that bad.  Of course, the overall size makes it hard to figure out where the action is because I have to zoom so far out to fit it all into the clipboard, but once the shooting starts I tend to like the overall design.

Should've gone with a more random pattern, just to make it more life-like, rather than the geometric peace-sign, but I guess that's its landmark feature that everyone can identify.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2002, 09:37:39 AM »
he lost me at vitriolic.  :D
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.