Author Topic: Lead Calc Sight Question  (Read 272 times)

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Lead Calc Sight Question
« on: July 09, 2002, 05:20:31 PM »
I know how to turn the sight on but what does the + really represent.  I know it should be the aim point but how is it calculated considering the varying velocities/ballistic properties of various guns in AH (or even on the same plane).

I know for a P-51 with .50's it seemed that the aim-point was correct, but for some others I'm not so sure (especially something with mixed gun loadout).  Does it compensate, for instance, for the drop on a G10's 30mm?  I also tried it for firing from the ground and it didn't seem accurate.  Not sure but I couldn't hit anything with the Ostie while aiming right at the point and firing forever.  Then again, it didn't appear to be giving enough lead for what I felt the aim point should be for that weapon.

-Soda
The Assassins.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Lead Calc Sight Question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2002, 07:53:29 PM »
Soda, the "+" represents the calculated lead according to the convergence you have set for the weapon. This does not mean shooting at the "+" won't give you hits if you are over convergence range, however, the dispersion is still a factor so shooting at a 600~700 yard range at the "+" will rarely give out any results if you are using a gun like the MG131. Thus, the lead sight helps accurate lead angle in acceptable ranges only. Getting the hang of "sniper shots" in 700~800 yard shots, or in vehicles like the 37mm Ostwind is just not gonna do with a weapon that drops a lot.

In the case of the MK108, a second "+" mark lights up. Thus, there are two lead sights, one for the MGs and one for the cannons.. and yes, it works.