Author Topic: Fighter Ranks?  (Read 167 times)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Fighter Ranks?
« on: August 05, 2001, 06:19:00 PM »
How is that Fester, with a 72.5 KD is in 3rd place when Feed, with a 5.6 KD is in 1st place for fighter ranks?

That makes no sense.

Originally writing this, duckwing6 was in first with a 1.0 KD and 2 kills on top of Fester's 72.5 and 145 kills.

What's up with ranks? THat just don't sound right at all.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Fighter Ranks?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2001, 09:30:00 PM »
Right now,
Feed is #1
RAMMJAGR is #2
Fester is #3

The ranking computer looks at all 5 fighter categories equally.  Although most people look at K/D as the main indicator for ranking, the computer doesn't value it any more than K/S, K/T, Hit%, or Points.
All three of these guys have outstanding stats in all categories, except Fester's K/T is 0.0019.  This is understandable.  His current K/D could never happen in furballs and without using a lot of caution.  K/D and K/T are often an inverse trade off of each other.

A K/T of 0.0019 is good, but not outstanding, there are probably a hundred or few hundred pilots with better K/Ts (I'm guessing here).  Even if he was ranked #1 in all of the other 4 fighter categories, someone else would only have to make the top 20+ (on the average) in all 5 fighter categories to be ranked over him.

The ranking computer doesn't distinguish between a kill earned in a great dogfight Vs. a vulch.
It doesn't care if you killed the bandit in a 5 Vs. 1, or a 1 Vs. 5.
It makes no judgements, it just crunches numbers.
Don't read into it too much.
It over-rates and under-rates most players for many reasons.

eskimo

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Fighter Ranks?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2001, 12:33:00 AM »
It seems to value Hit% a lot. But thats only how I see it as my Hit% is very poor.

:(