Author Topic: GET RID OF THIS KILL SHOTER BS  (Read 807 times)

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
GET RID OF THIS KILL SHOTER BS
« on: September 22, 2001, 11:30:00 PM »
Please, why do we have this? I have always wondered?, why cant friendly fire do nothing?

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2001, 11:41:00 PM »
Kill shooter is in place because you don't get courtmarshalled for being a teamshooter in AH.  You also don't get people firing over/through/under their teamates in hopes of landing a few more pings and getting credit for the kill.

In a world where such a large percentage of people are willing to act like asses, killshooter is necessary.  Welcome to the net.

AKDejaVu

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2001, 11:41:00 PM »
"why cant friendly fire do nothing"

Good question.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2001, 12:06:00 AM »
killshooter off
friendly fire on
friendly collisions on ( air and ground)
A/C spawn only from hangers(one at a time per hanger)

what is this? a arcade game or a flight sim???

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2001, 12:10:00 AM »
lol guys, have you really thought about this?

Do you not think there would be people flying around waxing friendlies? Are you proposing turning off killshooter with no penalty for killing friendlies or what?

Offline FDisk

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2001, 12:14:00 AM »
No kidding... you know what kinda trouble you'd be in?
I some times play counter-strike and you'll find the occasional server with FF on ... it's ALWAYS a mess!
poeple are amazinhunks..
sorry..
end of arguement

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2001, 01:00:00 AM »
Why can't friendly fire do nothing...Of course we cant have friendlys shoting each other, DJAVOO's point was closet to making sence, people firing through u to get a kill,This happens now, only somtines they die.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2001, 01:19:00 AM »
hblair they are saying have it do nothing at all if a friend shots ya nothing happens......

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2001, 01:25:00 AM »
Killshooter is really annoying when youre lobbing 30mm Mk108 death balls. At least the guys firing 50cals ans 20mm get a lil instant to stop before they die...

Anti 30mm conspiracy I say!!!!  :)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2001, 01:27:00 AM »
If friendly fire did nothing combat would be less of a sim than it is now.

If friendly fire did nothing how many people would hold fire because there was a friendly between them and the target?

A bunch of people ignoring the positions of friendlies in relation to their fire is less realistic than people holding their fire because the damage would be applied to them when a friendly is in the way.

The only possible different solution that I can think of that would be at all realistic would be for both the shooter and shootee to take the damage. The advantage of this system would be to discourage people from diving into other's lines of fire to get a kill that another worked for. It would also reduce the ability of prettythangholes to kill friendlies.  It would not completely eliminate the prettythanghole problem however and you can rely on being shot down by a few each tour.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2001, 01:45:00 AM »
Man, if friendly fire did nothing, I can just imagine the scene!  I'm firing away at my target d300 and a friendly chog shoots through me and kills my target!  I don't think so.  :)

Besides, I've been kill-shot maybe once or twice when it was a surprise.  The rest of the time, I knew I was taking a chance.

AKcurly

Offline Obear

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2001, 01:57:00 AM »
killshooter is porob the best solution all round, ive been hammering a few rounds into a cons tail only to have a team mate pull in front of me quick and i fill his tail with lead, boom, im dead, its anoying as hell an di give him hell for doing ti but it rarely happends.

It make syou think beofre you shoot, stops all the spraying and praying.

if your getting to many killshooters, your really doing somthing wrong.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2001, 02:20:00 AM »
Folks, killshooter was an evolutionary offshoot of allowing friendly fire.  If I'm not mistaken, games such as Air Warrior and Warbirds originally allowed people to kill friendlies with a persona non grata penalty for shooting down too many within a certain period of time.

The result?  Massive amounts of fragging, most of it intentional, as squads vying for rank would switch sides and mercilously frag enemies.  Squad operations would often revolve around suppressing base defenses by having one or more squaddies switch sides to frag anybody trying to up from that base.  And let's not even talk about the random jerk who was just out to ruin everyone's day.

Killshooter was the answer to this stupidity.  It's the solution to it, not the problem.  Suggesting that we remove killshooter in the MA is like suggesting that mankind would be better off devolving into some sort of cave-dwelling ancestor species.

-- Todd/DMF

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2001, 05:21:00 AM »
YEP!

While sometimes annoying killshooter is the best way to deal with the issue.

Offline Apar1

• Copper Member
      • http://gruenherz.carnimaniac.pronym.org/
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2001, 06:24:00 AM »
Kill shooter is in place because you don't get courtmarshalled for being a teamshooter in AH. You also don't get people firing over/through/under their teamates in hopes of landing a few more pings and getting credit for the kill.

The problem is that non-teammates couldn't care less and dive right in front of you from below, high or any direction. Happened to me 3 times in 2 days, where I'm finally on the cons 6 firing at him, and somebody decides to finish the Job for me. PLS don't I really don't need it I can finish it myself!!!!
P.S. And this wasn't even during a field vulch party but merely in a small furball.

I'm happy to take my chances with killshooter off. It will make people more aware of diving into a existing fight.

I realise there are many pros and cons for killshooter. But we've been flying around with killshooter on long time, why not give the other option a try. If it doesn't work out HT can always change it back.

One of the main problems with friendly fire enabled is the possibility of country men shooting eachother down deleberately. HT could wright the code so that if you fire at somebody with no enemy con in say 1000 yds range that you still shoot down yourself. Within 1000 yds of enemy range you shoot down the friendly. That wouldn't rule the possibility of deleberate friendly fire out completely but limit people trying to hunt down friendly.

[ 09-23-2001: Message edited by: Apar1 ]