Author Topic: USA: interesting view from a Brit  (Read 806 times)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
USA: interesting view from a Brit
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2002, 08:49:15 AM »
Actually Lazs, I was responding to Nuke. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline LoneStarBuckeye

• Copper Member
      • http://None
USA: interesting view from a Brit
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2002, 09:54:11 AM »
Mr. Sackur's observation that most American's don't understand "why they hate us so" is, it seems to me, quite correct.  Indeed, after the 9/11 attacks, I heard that sentiment echoed repeatedly among friends, family, and coworkers.  

The reason most Americans don't get it is because most Americans, as Mr. Sackur notes, are kind, giving, caring people.  Americans are basically good at heart.  Americans are also woefully ignorant of America's foreign policies, particularly as they are perceived by those that "hate us so."  Most Americans would not treat their neighbors the way that America deals with its neighbors in the world community.  Thus, we see the incongruity between the way Americans perceive themselves and their country and the way that the rest of the world perceives America, and, by extension, Americans.

The bottom line is that America acts in her own best interest, where most Americans act with an eye toward others' well-being.  For example, America did not attack Saddam because America had any particular love for the Kuwaitis or in an attempt to prevent manifest injustice.  We attacked Saddam because it was in our nation's best interest -- period.  We needed to ensure a steady supply of oil.  The reason America has not intervened (at least not seriously) in a similar manner in countless other hot spots in the world is because doing so would not be in our nation's best interest.

Does the fact that America acts in her own best interest make her evil?  Of course not.  It is quite easy for self-righteous Europeans (and Canadians or Aussies for that matter) to sit in the cheap seats and take pot shots at America.  However, you Europeans, Canadians, and Aussies are naive if you think that America is acting any differently than your countries would act given the same opportunity.  The fact is that no country has ever occupied the seat of power that America does now.  We are, to some extent, making it up as we go along.  I, for one, think we are doing a fair job of it.  

When judging the actions of America, remember that we are not acting in the best interest of Europe, Canada, or Australia, or even the world-at-large.  America acts in America's best interest.  If your country's best interests happen to overlap with ours, then we may also act in your best interest.  If you judge what America does by how it affects the world community, you will most often be disappointed and disapprove.  So be it.

Countries cannot afford to act like individuals.  Countries must, at times, act purely selfishly and in ruthless defense of their well being.  America understands this--so should the rest of the world.

- JNOV
« Last Edit: July 15, 2002, 10:12:43 AM by LoneStarBuckeye »