Author Topic: Reno Air Races  (Read 188 times)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Reno Air Races
« on: July 12, 2002, 10:18:00 AM »
Starting my vacation last week, to make a long story short I was denied boarding going through security by a 80 year old security officer because my carry-on was to “big”. I had traveled with it ALOT of  times this year alone, and  know for a fact it fits pretty sweet in the overhead bin,  but not to make waves, and too close to departure to check it, I went back home. Fits and complaints of job titles and having seen the aircraft interior alot never impress people that should have retired 20 years ago. Why whine?!

Disgusted at the situation to say the least choosing the redeye flight 10 hours later, arriving near home I noticed a very sweet looking aircraft overhead. A P-51! Following it’s flight path, it proceeded over the Stead Airport. I live ˝  to 1 mile away, so I went over to Stead. Gates were open, 100 or so people were gathered, and to my surprise, there were a lot of old WWII aircraft flying. T6 Texan types as best I could tell. When they landed, here came the goodness. A Yak of sorts I think, and 4-6 P-51’s.  They must be running Reno Air race practice I concluded in obvious mastery.

Man, it was an air show of goodness time’s 10. Pass after cool pass. The Pony’s grouped up for what I assume is airshow type city flyovers and left, but the Yak just tore the course up. I think it was this, or one real similar.

As a bonus, a Korean vet came over and had lotsa good stories and raved about F4U ground support. By the time my balding fat head was burnt to a crisp, the P51 came back in force. Pass after pass, very nice.

Thing is, the Yak stole the show. It sounded good, looked good, looked faster than the Pony’s, and just was awesome. Never will I question LA-7 types, in real review they actually make the P-51 pale.

Then the Bearcats came out. Golly-geen, they should NEVER be in AH, lol… best flight delay ever.

Just saying, carry on.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Reno Air Races
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2002, 10:21:21 AM »
Super cool story!  Thanks for posting!