Author Topic: Bmw = Garbage  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2002, 05:26:30 AM »
LOL !

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2002, 05:29:38 AM »
Text translated: "How is it going / How is it humming over there"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2002, 08:18:15 AM »
Originally posted by hblair
Was gonna say Rip, that if it was white or red I believe they are still without clearcoat paint. I'm not sure about the black and I'm too lazy to drag out the chip book. :) When you wax it is you rag black?

It is hard to believe in this day and age some car manufacturers are still producing cars with single stage paint. Just a week ago, a guy came by with a '97 volvo wagon we did some repair work to a year ago. His complaint was "your paint job doesn't match". I went out, looked at the car. The fender and door we did repair work on was still bright as it was a year ago (sher-will base/clear)but the rest of the car was already going chalky. Typical single stage factory paint. Ran the car downstairs and got the detail guy to liven it up with the wheel just to show the fella that indeed the paint does match, but his factory paint required waxing every 6 months to stay alive. He didn't like that. :)

Hblair, all BMW's since 1994 (I think thats the year) come with clear coats.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2002, 08:53:40 AM »
LOL funked... "basicaly ugly"???  butt ugly is more accurate.   Slow, ugly and stiff shifting with an engine that sounds like a fat mans flatulance after 50 cent burrito night.  

One thing tho... I would be surprised if you couldn't find that thing in a parking lot.   Maybe if you spend another 30 grand you can have someone pump it up to (sniker) 300 hp for you.    Oh well, at least you won't have to learn how to weld or use hand tools.

cept for tacking on a chrome coffee can to the exhaust but you can just use hose clamps or have the dealer do it.
lazs

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2002, 09:44:51 AM »
Rip, bright red code 415 is single stage thru '02. Don't believe the BMW salesman propoganda. ;)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2002, 10:10:02 AM »
Rip, bright red code 415 is single stage thru '02. Don't believe the BMW salesman propoganda. ;)

Hblair, I detail BMW's and I just did a "Bright red" 2001 325Ci  last week end...believe me, it has a clear coat! ;) (No, no "color" on the applicator, and you can even see the "orange peel" of the clear coat.  Also, all the touch up bottles, every color they currently export to the USA, comes with a little bottle of clear coat to place on top of the touch up.  Not sure where your information comes from, but its inaccurate.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2002, 10:16:50 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2002, 10:27:36 AM »
Speak no more of these WRX's.... please.

My father just bought a 2002 330i a week or two ago - its a nice car.  Admittedly, we're still breaking it in, so I havent taken it past about 4500 RPM yet, but I could sum up the car with "It fools you into thinking its fast until you try and actually go fast."  The car has surprisingly significant tourque at very low RPM, the throttle response is quick (cant beat an NA engine for that) and the suspension breaths confidence into your driving.  However... if it were actually to be put through its paces I think it would be a bit lacking.  Far too heavy for the engine output.  I will say, however, that for a simple "fun" factor, it fits the mold.

Im currently on the lookout for a 1995 E36 M3... cant seem to find what I want, but thats besides the point.  Even the 3.0L M3 seems a bit lacking... the 3.2 (1996-1999) is better, and I havent driven an E46 M3... couldnt afford it even if I tried, so it doesnt really matter.  :P  Handling is great, brakes are "ok"... what the car REALLY needs is a supercharger.  Bump that 240HP to about 320 or so and Id be happy.  I just think the E36 M3 is a beautiful car and it would make a slightly more exciting than normal daily driver.

However...

"There is no substitute."  :P

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2002, 10:36:07 AM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
Speak no more of these WRX's.... please.

My father just bought a 2002 330i a week or two ago - its a nice car.  Admittedly, we're still breaking it in, so I havent taken it past about 4500 RPM yet, but I could sum up the car with "It fools you into thinking its fast until you try and actually go fast."  The car has surprisingly significant tourque at very low RPM, the throttle response is quick (cant beat an NA engine for that) and the suspension breaths confidence into your driving.  However... if it were actually to be put through its paces I think it would be a bit lacking.  Far too heavy for the engine output.  I will say, however, that for a simple "fun" factor, it fits the mold.

Im currently on the lookout for a 1995 E36 M3... cant seem to find what I want, but thats besides the point.  Even the 3.0L M3 seems a bit lacking... the 3.2 (1996-1999) is better, and I havent driven an E46 M3... couldnt afford it even if I tried, so it doesnt really matter.  :P  Handling is great, brakes are "ok"... what the car REALLY needs is a supercharger.  Bump that 240HP to about 320 or so and Id be happy.  I just think the E36 M3 is a beautiful car and it would make a slightly more exciting than normal daily driver.

However...

"There is no substitute."  :P

Agree 100%, the 330 has more body roll than you'd care for at the track, alot of guys go with aftermarket suspension upgrades.  Personally, I just want to have fun at the track, nothing serious...

As for the older M3's, very good choice for a track car, but be cautious, the 1995's had alot of electrical problems, your best bet would be post-95', like a 1997 M3 4-door, the sedans have a better body regidity than the coupes.  Its also very hard to find an M3 that has not been hammared on by some 20 something kid...

Hey, join our Bimmer forums, lots of info there:

http://www.bimmerfest.com
« Last Edit: July 18, 2002, 10:38:47 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2002, 10:44:08 AM »
I submit the following as evidence:

Qualifications:

I work in the autobody repair business. We repaired over 500 cars last year and do not advertise at all, not even in the phone book, and are 6 1/2 weeks behind right now. (we have a customer base)

Facts:

A.  We have our own mixing system in our paint shop. Our painters do nothing but mix, tint, spray all day. Our head painter who is also part owner of the company has 25 years experience as a painter and is the type of guy who when he sees a car rolling in the shop usually knows what paint code it is without looking. I was back there yesterday and asked him if BMW still came with single stage. Off the top of his head he said "there's a white and red that is". We both looked in the chip book 30 minutes ago and sure enough there's a red code 415 that is single stage thru '02.

B. Just because you cleaned up a red that wasn't single stage doesn't mean they're all clearcoat, there's more than one red.

C. We repaired a '00 BMW a month or so ago that was single stage.

Said paint booth:

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2002, 10:48:44 AM »
Hblair, what I am telling you is ALL BMW 3-series have clear coats today.  The only evidence I could give you is 27 years of detailing experience, I *know* a clear coat when I work on one. ;)  Now, if you want an official letter from BMWNA stating so, go for it, I am not one that needs to be convinced ;)

All BMW paints are applied using the same process which involves a powder base coat and a powder clear coat that are then baked on. I have a friend that has been the to the factory and watched cars of all colors-- including red, black, o blue, topaz blue being painted in the same exact automatied process.

here is a link for the PPG clear coat process:
http://www.electrocoat.org/dp/news/news_search.cfm?Mag=COAT

And one of the state of the art Paint facilities, this one for the Mini, but was modeled after the Germany facility.
http://www.autointell.com/european_companies/BMW/mini/oxford-plant/bmw-oxford-plant-05-paint.htm

« Last Edit: July 18, 2002, 10:59:13 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2002, 10:58:45 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Hblair, what I am telling you is ALL BMW 3-series have clear coats today.  

Looks like some miscommunication maybe on my part. I was talking about BMW's in general, I didn't know we were talking only 3-series.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2002, 11:05:16 AM »

Looks like some miscommunication maybe on my part. I was talking about BMW's in general, I didn't know we were talking only 3-series.

I was under the impression that all of em today (since 199X?)have use the same powder base for the clear coat.  Now, a 1995 model, that I do not know, but today, I'm 99.9% sure they all have clear coats.  Hold tight, getting info  for you from their manufacturing site in Germany.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2002, 11:13:30 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2002, 11:44:16 AM »
monk.... what is a "monty"?
lazs

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2002, 11:58:11 AM »
here is a "Monty", sir
a Lancia Monte Carlo 037

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Bmw = Garbage
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2002, 12:43:38 PM »
I've seen 037 in action when it was only 2-wheel drive which still could fight against Audi "Big" Quattros and Peugeot 205 T16s.
Pretty impressive sight seeing it fly from bump to bump with nice flames coming out from exhausts pipes :)