Author Topic: Another point for the no "God" crowd  (Read 2373 times)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Another point for the no "God" crowd
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2002, 02:33:46 PM »
Actually, you are the only one making the attempt at twisting it to mean something it doesn't.

"God" pure and simple means ONE supreme being. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are interpreted as being what makes up God. So in this case, you can't say "God" and expect it to mean his Son.

In other religions with multiple Gods, you can not twist this to make it fit... well YOU can, and anyone who is on the side of keeping the word God everywhere, however the real believers will have a bit of a problem since they don't pray to only the "supreme" God, but to all of them.

So again, you are the only one twisting it around to make it appear as though it can be used as a reference to not just monotheistic religions... I'm merely showing you can't twist it.

You, and other monotheistic religious people, lose nothing, you are still free to say it as you wish. People who are polytheistic or atheist have to deal with some sort of state supported religion. They are free not to say it if they choose... but they are not free from it, which they should be and is entitled to them in their basic rights.

EDIT: Eagler, so? Most Middle Eastern countries aren't free. You can't compare those countries to the US.. it simply ain't gonna work. The majority of this country might be Christian.. but then again, the majority of this country use to be white and enslaved black people... the majority ain't always right.
-SW
« Last Edit: July 18, 2002, 02:36:23 PM by AKSWulfe »

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2002, 02:40:26 PM »
Originally posted by LAGUERRE
Sandman Life is good?????????For some of the lucky ones it is......Im sure the family of the murdered molested child would differ with you, or maybe the some of the families of fallen servicemen, or families of victims of 911.........Is this the famous ostritch act, bury your head in the sand and it will all go away?????  Yep ignorance is bliss...

LAGUERRE

Are you unhappy Laguerre?

Would it make you feel happy if I spent the rest of my days lamenting the loss of 3,000 people that I don't know?

How about if I just sit at home and cry about the fallen servicemen and murdered children?

I think my family would have trouble with that. I have my own life to live and gawdamnit, I'm going to enjoy it. Otherwise, what's the point?
sand

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Originally posted by Eagler

the majority of folk in this country are Christian. I do not see an issue with christian prayer being a standard in this country.

But what if it were the other way around?

Please answer the question:

Imagine that YOUR child's teacher begins to teach your child Islam and they pray to Allah every day. What do you think about removing THAT kind of prayer from your school?

eskimo

Offline LAGUERRE

• Zinc Member
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2002, 02:57:03 PM »
Im not unhappy at all....Get to sit here at work and stir the pot...Hehehehe...watch all the tempers fly...hehehehehe...get to hear some real funny stories..........and in 2 hours I will be sitting back sippin a scotch and cooking up a bowl crawfish bisque, watching blues clues with the girls......What more is there???????

At least I dont need to go dig them damn holes.........

Hehehehehe

LAGUERRE

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2002, 03:00:00 PM »
mmmm.... mud bugs. :)
sand

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2002, 03:12:45 PM »
Laguerre, thanks for the Eisenhower quote.  It's good to see that he also pushed his beliefs on our soldiers well before he pushed them on the entire country!  ;)

Eagler, the day Christian prayer (or any religion) is a standard in the United States is the day I look to ex-patriate myself.

Sorry Eagler, but "God", if he even exists, doesn't care about you and there's no "Heaven" for you to go to when you die...  get used to it.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline LAGUERRE

• Zinc Member
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2002, 03:13:47 PM »
Hay there ya go....and you probably thought we had nothing in common.........:D

LAGUERRE

Offline LAGUERRE

• Zinc Member
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2002, 03:17:55 PM »
Hey nifty maybe you can get a ride to ex-patriatism with Alex Baldwin and Babra Striesand, heard they were doing the same if Bush was elected.................Oh... .Hehehehehe ya'll all just talk alot of shi#t.

Dont let the door hit ya in the bellybutton on the way out...

LAGUERRE

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2002, 03:24:30 PM »
Originally posted by Nifty
Laguerre, thanks for the Eisenhower quote.  It's good to see that he also pushed his beliefs on our soldiers well before he pushed them on the entire country!  ;)

Eagler, the day Christian prayer (or any religion) is a standard in the United States is the day I look to ex-patriate myself.

Sorry Eagler, but "God", if he even exists, doesn't care about you and there's no "Heaven" for you to go to when you die...  get used to it.

hehe

not looking for a heaven to go to when I die as through my education and studies I don't think heaven is a place nor are we judged for eternity based on a mere 80 years at best ... but that is another thread :)

all you godless ppl, do you celebrate Christmas or Easter?

Isn't that hypocritical on your part if you don't at least partially subscribe to the Christian faith? Or do you look the other way and take the presents and the time off work/school anyway .. :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline LAGUERRE

• Zinc Member
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2002, 03:27:31 PM »
AKS: Weather you believe it or not the catholic "God" is the Father, Son, and Holy spirit. You can pray to all or one, they are each individual but the same, this is what catholics call faith,,,,they dont try and understand it they just believe....And seeing your lack of knowledge of the catholic relidgion,,,they quite often pray to Mary, and other associated saits in the same way they pray to God....You are trying to TWIST the word "God" into anybody you pray too........Oh well like I said I will never change your mind and you wont budge me so whats the point???

LAGUERRE

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2002, 03:28:29 PM »
My family celebrates Christmas and Easter. I don't. I receive gifts, even though I tell them I don't want 'em, so I gotta give them gifts. I would just give the gifts back, but then that just seems like I'm an ungrateful bastard.

It's actually winter break, Christmas ain't no month... so why would it be called Chistmas break?

As far as I'm concerned, they could do away with spring break. I just look at it as a week off, if they got rid of that.. I'd get out of school a week earlier.
-SW

Offline LAGUERRE

• Zinc Member
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2002, 03:30:02 PM »
Eagler you wont get an honest answer to that one.............

With no God why worry about hypocracy

LAGUERRE

Offline LAGUERRE

• Zinc Member
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2002, 03:33:20 PM »
AWWWW Hell Eagler AKS is still a student............How old are you AKS????????????

LAGUERRE

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2002, 03:34:17 PM »
Apparent lack of knowledge of the catholic religion? Based on what? That I said the 3 are on in the same? You can pray to Jesus Christ- yes, but that ain't God. You can pray to Mary, you can pray to saints, you can pray to the pope... that still doesn't mean they are "God"... when you are praying to God you are only praying to God.. not to the Holy Spirit.

"You are trying to TWIST the word "God" into anybody you pray too"

Uh, no.. you are doing that. I'm trying to point out to you that "God" only applies to one God. It does not apply to multiple Gods, Buddah, Allah or the lack of a God.

Therefore that effectively means that many religions are left out...

I ain't trying to change your mind, I'm simply pointing out the facts and laying them on the table. You are using the Star Spangled Banner, trying to say "God" could mean anything even multiple Gods, and saying that this country was founded on religion (when it was founded on freedoms)...

So basically, I've got a bunch of stuff with substance, while you've got second hand rhetoric.

I ain't trying to change your mind, just proving my point- and you're helping me out.
-SW

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2002, 03:34:19 PM »
I think you are all missing the point..   The point is that anything government run sucks.... including public schools.    simply offer vouchers and every school can compete based on results and personal taste.    Would be nice to have some choice.... for everyone
lazs