Author Topic: Not Happy to see old MA map's again  (Read 602 times)

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
Not Happy to see old MA map's again
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2002, 08:18:12 PM »
I think this is a positive step. I'm quite happy to see a rotation again.
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2002, 08:21:16 PM »
Looks like the vocal minority of whiners got their way with the old maps coming back. I wold be very happy if I never saw them again. I think there will be just as many, (probably more), people coming on now saying 'please dump te old maps for good' as there were saying 'the new map is boring/too big/I fear change'

RIP the old maps... especially mindinoa (please)

Gatso

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2002, 09:12:18 PM »
What are you guys complaining about?  You can pick an empty corner of any map and fly for hours without seeing enemies to your heart's content.  If you want to milkrun undefended fields, offline mode is always available.  And much more satisfying Pizza is delivered almost everywhere in the United States.

Long live the old maps!

Hooligan

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2002, 09:32:40 PM »
Other map may have been pizza, these old maps are bland warmed over TV dinners that don't work with the new strat system.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2002, 09:50:26 PM »
People didn't use the new strat system with the new map anyway.  People just milkran undefended bases.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline cajun

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2002, 09:59:52 PM »
I love flying bombers, & missions, allot more than furballing, but I gotta say I love the smaller maps!

The pizza map was just wayy too big, couldnt find a single airfeild, enemy, or determine where the front line was, or what needed capturing.

AH may need a little bit bigger maps but Pizza map was just WAY too big!

I love to see the old maps again!

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2002, 10:58:12 PM »
As time went by on the Desert map I began finding even the remote bases being defended, milkruning was not as rampent as it had been, lines stabalized and Big Battles were being fought across a broader front, Change of any kind is a tough one for most to deal with, For me I remember the old days on the Beta map and all the good fighting that went on when AH had a lot fewer people in it now days on these smaller maps with the Huge number AH has in it reminds me when I flew FA, which was basicaly just one big furball. I can tell you this though, I went and watched TV tonight, I havent done that since the Desert map was out.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2002, 11:15:39 PM »
Old maps are a big let down, only small pockets for furbals, open spaces with nothing and no chance to buff without being noticed and slaughtered.

Pizza map loud mouth crybabies did get their way it seems........ a minority of loudmouth cybabies.

Pizza map had it all for me.

This Island map that is on now is way boring me...... only thing to do is mindlessly head for a furbal. Try to up a buff away from action (in order to get any alt), and you are marked as a buff as soon as you hit radar. No Gv fun either. No clouds, pure blue stark water .

Pizza map was really getting fun.

Oh well, I know that new maps will probably be on the way.

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2002, 11:35:14 PM »
Originally posted by brady
As time went by on the Desert map I began finding even the remote bases being defended, milkruning was not as rampent as it had been, lines stabalized and Big Battles were being fought across a broader front, Change of any kind is a tough one for most to deal with, For me I remember the old days on the Beta map and all the good fighting that went on when AH had a lot fewer people in it now days on these smaller maps with the Huge number AH has in it reminds me when I flew FA, which was basicaly just one big furball. I can tell you this though, I went and watched TV tonight, I havent done that since the Desert map was out.

I dunno, I certainly didn't see gameplay evolve into anything even remotely resembling that.

I did, however, actually have the urge to play again tonight. That was the first night I actually _wanted_ to fly (couldn't due to prior commitments mind you) since about day 4 of the pizza map release. At least now we're back to a format that accomodates a wider range of people. Once the pizza map returns, it will be my turn to catch up on TV.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2002, 11:38:08 PM by Vortex »
--)-Vortex----

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2002, 12:13:28 AM »
Well Vortex you have 34 hours, I have 92 hours so far this tour, I may of seam somthing you mised :)

BTW I curently have no life:)

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2002, 12:19:11 AM »
I also don't get how anybody could not find a fight, the Map is real easy to read, in about 30 sec I could find a Fight of any type, by looking at the map.

I gues it is a prime example of the Human condition, "excuse me miss wher is the informatin desk?", the cleark point's to the Big Red Sign over her head that read's INFORMATION , and she replies " you are at the information desk sir can I help you" I gues having to look at the map is to much for some people? Nothing personal just an observation.

Offline cajun

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2002, 01:09:57 AM »
I got an idea... How about a map inbetween the size of old maps & pizza maps! Think it would be a perfect balance!

What you all think of this idea?

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2002, 04:24:45 AM »
I think the 512 map is best personaly, and Ah is going to Grow Gents, that means more people....

Offline odie202

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2002, 05:30:35 AM »
Hell, Just be grateful they (HTC) went to the trouble to give us diffrent maps............... Thanks HTC:rolleyes:

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2002, 06:33:38 AM »
Well Vortex you have 34 hours, I have 92 hours so far this tour, I may of seam somthing you mised :)

BTW I curently have no life:)

Perhaps, although I doubt it. One doesn't need to spend 6 hours a night online to see the failings of the system. I found it quite obvious within a 30 minute time frame on most nights...at which point I'd usually log in frustration.

I also don't get how anybody could not find a fight, the Map is real easy to read, in about 30 sec I could find a Fight of any type, by looking at the map.

I gues it is a prime example of the Human condition, "excuse me miss wher is the informatin desk?", the cleark point's to the Big Red Sign over her head that read's INFORMATION , and she replies " you are at the information desk sir can I help you" I gues having to look at the map is to much for some people? Nothing personal just an observation.

The last week I flew, just about every sortie I had would start at a base close to what appeared to be a busy area. By the time I got to that spot the fight was usually done...i.e it would usually be 30/1 odds at that point. There is no real reason to defend bases in this map, so why bother when the milkrun comes your way? Moreover there was no discernable front. The size makes it too easy to simply bypass pockets of activity on the Magical Milkrun Tour. Accordingly most of my flights ended off in what was now the abyss with me Alt-Tabing out, and just doing a right click and "Close" on AH. I certainly wasn't going to waste more time traversing several more sectors in this ongoing quest for a fight.

That was the norm. There were indeed exceptions when a good fight would be close to your base. They just weren't that frequent unfortunately, or many times just didn't have much longevity for some reason.

If one flew outside the 4-6 hour prime time window then it was a real job trying to make it work. The map was an unmittigated disaster in that context imo. It is grossly oversized for prime time imo, let alone the 50-200 number range of off hours.

You see the problem is that when the "Information" sign is written in a language I don't read, and has a tarp thrown over it, and the desk it hangs over is stuck in a broom closest, it isn't really doing the job it was originally designed to. That's a much more apppropriate analogy methinks. There's a lot more broken with the pizza map than there is working, from a gameplay pov.

But again, we come full circle back to my original point. With a rotation you can have all the fun you want in the vast wastelands that is the pizza map, when it cycles though. I'll enjoy the shoulder to shoulder crowds of the previous maps. That's a far better solution than what was offered the last few weeks imo.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2002, 06:45:03 AM by Vortex »
--)-Vortex----