Author Topic: Gunflashes would be nice in AH...  (Read 113 times)

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
Gunflashes would be nice in AH...
« on: July 18, 2002, 02:58:53 AM »
...as long as there is a 'no tracer' option.

I've been shot down over an enemy airfield by a human manned AAA position that was firing with no tracers. I had no idea there was AAA fire coming from the vicinity of the airfield, even though I was scanning the airfield from a low altitude.

I just read a post by Toad about HO shots with no tracers and an 'unsuspecting' enemy flying thru a stream of .50 BMG fire.

The bottom line is, couldn't you see the gun flashes of a firing aircraft at a reasonable distance?

I don't know about WW2 aircraft - never seen one fire it's guns.

I'm *assuming* you could see the gun flashes.

From what I've read the point of no tracers was either people shot better and/or an enemy would not be warned by tracers flying past his aircraft.

Thoughts? If it would cause a big graphics 'hit' I understand why it doesn't exist.

Mike/wulfie
« Last Edit: July 18, 2002, 03:02:51 AM by wulfie »

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2002, 03:09:56 AM »
manned ack has no tracers, wether or not the person manning it has them enabled...

Offline MadBirdCZ

• Nickel Member
      • http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz088436/
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2002, 03:33:01 AM »
maned ack has no tracer or flashes... At the other hand you can see gunflashes at a firing airplane... But since the planes we have are not flamethrower equiped as the ones in IL-2 it is a bit harder to notice the flashes... BUT they are there!!! ;)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2002, 04:57:17 AM »
AH currently has only 1 light source that emits 'lighting effects' such as glare, flash, tone, shadows and etc., and that is the sun. You won't be able to notice a Cruiser firing its big guns at a distance of 1000 yards if it were not for the tracers.

I'm not quite sure if adding more lighting effects would seriously hit the fps rates, but it sure would be nice to be actually able to see enemy fire at distances further than 200 yards or something.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2002, 06:34:57 AM »
"in the real world" you would not have seen the muzzle flash from that AAA emplacement eiter, but you likely would have seen the smoke from the muzzle *if* you were close enough and *if* the emplacent was in plain sight (which would not have been likely).
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline dsrtrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2002, 08:01:41 AM »
I can't feel Gs HT. When are you going to model that? Give them a break guys. Airplane muzzle flashes are visible at 500d plus. Anything more would make be Quakish.

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2002, 01:24:31 PM »
See I never knew that there were gunflashes visible from aircraft. I only thought there were tracers visible.

You learn something new every day...

Mike/wulfie

Offline cajun

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2002, 02:06:55 PM »
We already have gunflashs, just look behind you next time nme is on your tail, if he's atleast 0.200k from you, you should be able to see them easily, in real life planes rarely shot at a target more than .300 and I doubt muzzle flashs were very visible at all unless they were firing very big guns (23+mm cannons).