Author Topic: Is This a Good Idea?  (Read 282 times)

Offline Taco

• Zinc Member
      • None
Is This a Good Idea?
« on: August 06, 2001, 11:52:00 PM »
Maybe we could add a plane with a huge cargo bay that would allow us to put Tanks, Jeeps, basically GV’s in to it, After there where all loaded up, take off then push them outa the back of the plane with a parachute. They could land next to an enemy base and help with the Take Over. Please Tell me what you Guys think.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Is This a Good Idea?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2001, 11:59:00 PM »
hmm - the messerschmitt 321/323 gigant is about the only wwii era lage capacity cargo plane i can think of, but i don't think they used the tactics you speak of - i think they were developed later with the advent of the c-130. might be cool to land them and unload the gv and troops though ?? bring on the gigant!   :)

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: mrfish ]

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
Is This a Good Idea?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2001, 12:19:00 AM »
We could also do the same thing with the C-47. I think the gliders they used could haul the half-tracks, but yes, bring on the Gigant!

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Is This a Good Idea?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2001, 01:08:00 AM »
I would love the Gigant!
I think it would get much use in this game.

eskimo

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
Is This a Good Idea?
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2001, 01:16:00 AM »
Long term: Yeah, That would be a blast!

Short term: Maybe the trains will someday load and unload the gv and troops.

Offline Taco

• Zinc Member
      • None
Is This a Good Idea?
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2001, 02:33:00 AM »
Gigant? can i see a Pic of one? i don't think i know what it is.  :D

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
Is This a Good Idea?
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2001, 03:15:00 AM »
Guys Guys Guys,,,I wouldt like to see the gigant to,but are you aware of how long a runway it needs to take of?,,,,,,,,alot.
Dawvgrid

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Is This a Good Idea?
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2001, 04:01:00 AM »

<homer mode on> mmm gigant...........

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: mrfish ]

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
Is This a Good Idea?
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2001, 09:44:00 AM »
It would take one hell of a parachute to get a tank safely on the ground!

The plane I would like to see here is the Waco CG-4A Combat Glider.  They could carry 13 men and a jeep, or a 105 howitzer.  They were towed by C-47's, although they used everything from P-38's to B17's to tow them in test trials.  They were used in every theatre of the war, and were extensively used in D-Day, delivering troops behind German lines before the beach invasion.

It would be neat to be towed behind a C-47 to a base, release, glide in, open the hatch and drive the jeep and the troops to the field!  And the C-47 would still have it's internal troops to drop.  Vulnerable? Yes, but you have a lot more troops if you do make it, and if you come under attack you could always release the glider, making the enemy decide between the two targets  :)  It was not uncommon for the C-47 to tow two gliders at a time.  That would be 36 troops total!  

Here's a pic of one on the tow-line:

The Gigant would be nice but there were many more CG-4A's built, and they were more widely used. AH could be the first WWII sim to model the CG-4A.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Is This a Good Idea?
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2001, 12:11:00 PM »
I like the glider idea, but I see two problems.

1) It's going to be crazy with guys begging for a goon to tow them.

2) It's going to be hell trying to stay in tow behind ANY of my squad mates....I can see the unverted glider tow already :D

Actually the second point could be hours of fun....

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Is This a Good Idea?
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2001, 12:33:00 PM »
Maybe we could add a plane with a huge cargo bay that would allow us to put Tanks, Jeeps, basically GV’s in to it, After there where all loaded up, take off then push them outa the back of the plane with a parachute. They could land next to an enemy base and help with the Take Over.

I've not heard of any aircraft doing this in WW2 with the exception of gliders delivering jeeps (landing and unloading them).  The pics listed above was of a plane that could transport a small tank from one base to another.  I seriously doubt it was used to transport ground vehicles to the front line.

As for gliders... I don't believe they offer enough to impliment.  Their greatest benifit was that they were quiet.  You have that already with all aircraft ;)  Maybe if we could talk HTC into modeling aircraft noise (other than the one you're in) it would be something to think about.  But, that would mean supporting external aircraft sounds first ;)

AKDejaVu

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Is This a Good Idea?
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2001, 01:08:00 PM »
Cool idea...gliders.
How about if gliders would not appear on radar, - that would balance the silentness a bit?
Gliders could carry jeeps, troops, and field guns...yet another chance.
Carry on with it, nice idea.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Is This a Good Idea?
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2001, 01:31:00 PM »
Ok,  Heres a transport for you

http://www.theaviationzone.com/facts/c54.htm

The Douglas C-54 (designated R5D by the U.S. Navy) was the military variation of the DC-4 four-engine commercial transport. It was the first four-engine transport to enter USAAF service. The USAAF accepted a total of 1,164 Skymasters from 1942 to 1947. Its maximum load capacity was 28,000 pounds of cargo or 49 passengers.

Offline Taco

• Zinc Member
      • None
Is This a Good Idea?
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2001, 01:37:00 PM »
Hear is a Lame pick of that Plane.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Is This a Good Idea?
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
Heres a better one
 http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/outdoor/od27.htm

The C-82 was designed to meet the need for a large capacity cargo aircraft that could load at near ground level. The single prototype first flew on September 10, 1944; deliveries began in late 1945 and ended in September 1948. Two hundred twenty-three Packets were built--all but four were -As. It was primarily used for cargo and troop transport, but it also was used for paratroop operations and towing gliders. Its capacity was 41 paratroops or 34 stretchers and it had clam-shell rear doors that allowed easy entry of trucks, tanks, artillery, and other bulky cargo.

Of course it may miss the mark, not in service until 45.

Or how bout the C-87 Liberator Express
 http://aeroweb.brooklyn.cuny.edu/specs/consolid/c-87.htm