Author Topic: AH scoring...no sense  (Read 133 times)

Offline Gonz0

• Zinc Member
AH scoring...no sense
« on: July 22, 2002, 09:34:07 PM »
Does it make sense to score this game as a combined effort of Fighter, Attack, Bombing, and Vehicle stats?  Did Navy pilots have to drive tanks in WW2 to earn rank?  NO...they didn't.  I have never liked running buffs or driving tanks since I started to play war sims in 1998.  Why is my score punished because I don't like those aspects of the game?  HTC...this is your game and I chose to play it...however...dont you think it is time you allowed peeps to excell in one facet of the game and allow that to be reflected in overall score?  Why dont you let us declare what subset we wish to be scored at the outset of each campaign.  Those who wish to fly fighters would not be judged against the Pt boat driver.  That type of scoring would have an interesting effect on gameplay, squad formations, and overall pilot skill.

Just a thougt.

Gonz

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
AH scoring...no sense
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2002, 02:06:05 AM »
The people who do everything are the ones who win out, I don't really see whats wrong here.  After all, the more people do only one thing, the more apt they are to whine when something happens to it. :D

Offline tgnr2001

• Zinc Member
Re: AH scoring...no sense
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2002, 09:22:25 AM »
Originally posted by Gonz0
Does it make sense to score this game as a combined effort of Fighter, Attack, Bombing, and Vehicle stats?  Did Navy pilots have to drive tanks in WW2 to earn rank?  NO...they didn't.  I have never liked running buffs or driving tanks since I started to play war sims in 1998.  Why is my score punished because I don't like those aspects of the game?  HTC...this is your game and I chose to play it...however...dont you think it is time you allowed peeps to excell in one facet of the game and allow that to be reflected in overall score?  Why dont you let us declare what subset we wish to be scored at the outset of each campaign.  Those who wish to fly fighters would not be judged against the Pt boat driver.  That type of scoring would have an interesting effect on gameplay, squad formations, and overall pilot skill.

Just a thougt.

Gonz

Hmmm.. interesting thought.. but which skill would determine overall rank?  The only real value in rank (I think) is to get control of a CV group.  Since CVs are kinda like vehicles, I guess vehicle rank should then take priority :D  The way it is now, best all around skill gets the rank & therefore can control the CVs.. seems as logical as any other model.

Other then that, your score is not "punished".. you can be the highest scoring fighter pilot and that will be reflected in the fighter pilot rankings....  if rank & score is important to you (not that that's a bad thing :D )  But you don't need to declare your subset.. there are individual ranks for each subset.

tgnr

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
AH scoring...no sense
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 10:54:49 AM »
I think that most people who have any respect for the rank system value fighter rankings more than overall rank.  It's clearly the most competitive of the four ranks.   Be happy with your fighter ranking if that's what you care about.  As far as overall rank is concerned, overall means everything.  Someone who is good overall does a bit of everything, and does it all well.

eskimo

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
AH scoring...no sense
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2002, 11:10:42 AM »
As has been pointed out, the only thing over-all rank gains you is control of a strategic asset, i.e. the CV group.  Since Admirals and other high ranking officers have to be generalists (no pun intended), it makes sense that overall rank be used in AH to determine who gets to play a flag officer.  As has also been pointed out, stats are also posted for specific skills, i.e. fighter, bomber, and ground vehicles.  Since I play mostly in the CT, rank doesn't mean much to me, but I don't begrudge that it does to others.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Re: AH scoring...no sense
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2002, 11:24:29 PM »
Originally posted by Gonz0

Just a thougt.

Gonz

What a point dweeb :)

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Gonz0

• Zinc Member
Pot calling kettle black
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2002, 10:54:01 AM »
What a point dweeb  

NwBie

Geez if Nwbie (the dweeb of all dweebs) is calling me a dweeb then it must have been a really bad idea.

Gonz0