Author Topic: AH most potent bomber killer?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline majic

• Silver Member
AH most potent bomber killer?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tails:
Just curious, but has anyone tried using a B-26 as a bomber killer?

I tried it once when returning from mision, could not close.  Someone tried it against me (I was in Lanc, he had alt, so he could close).  He was too big a target.  I blew out a couple of his engines ang got away. Don't know if I got kill or not...
Moral of the story is that its a bad idea.

Offline Dmitry

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2001, 12:11:00 PM »
If you have Alt advantage on buff than p47...
Its the beast at high speed handling so you can boooommmm him from way above and kill it on 1 pass.... usially buff driver wont even know u were there...
Imagine you are at 5K distance and suddenly coming on him at 500 -550 mph... his gonna have hard time hiting you even if he has good SA.... and those 8 .50 cal guns can kill anything if you hit it at 1 spot... just dont spray buff with lead - concentrate your fire on 1 spot.... tail or wing tip would be my choice....

Also previos tour i had a great success in YAK-9U against buffs at 18K and lower...
I remmember one sortie I got 2 Lancs and 1 B-26 with 1 ammo load.... that was fun  :)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2001, 01:01:00 PM »
190a8 up to 22k

109g10 anything higher

on a side note I was stalkin a b17 and a lanc the other day and waited till i thought they were in their site before I attacked.

they were in a good tight formation one in front of ther other off set to the right with about 100 to 200 seperating them.

the right wing of the lanc overlapped the left wing of the 17. I flew right at the lancs right wing firing a good burst in close before rolling away. I knew the lanc was dead but as I looked back the right wing of the 17 was gone and he was headed down as well. I figured I hit both but since I rolled away from the 17 to the left he may have killshootered himself by hitting the lanc. Either way I got a kick out of it.

[ 09-25-2001: Message edited by: Wotan ]

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2001, 01:34:00 PM »
If you need to catch high raid really fast you need g10. Perfect climb rate, good speed, very good punch of 30mm.

But I rate Spit IX very high as a buff killer. It is great against buffs at almost any alt, it has enough punch, and good climb.

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2001, 02:51:00 PM »
Tiffie works well for me

BgMAW

Offline AN

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2001, 02:57:00 PM »
Staga:
----------------------------------------
Once I tried to intercept a incoming 27k bombers with Typhoon(I was otw to do some jabo when someone noticed ib HQ raid).
Then I realized that when I would be in a co-alt with those bombers they would be already 30 miles ahead of me...   :D
That was year ago, not sure if Typhoon climbs better now.
----------------------------------------

Ya see, even more reason to take a Tiffie.

Flying around at 10-15k, see a bomber above me--I know I won't be able to intercept so I go find a real fight.

I just saved myself 30 minutes of climbing just to be bored even if I do catch up with the bomber.

anRky
(well, I wouldn't bother chasing the bomber to the stratosphere even if I was in a G10--maybe I would if I was in a goony)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2001, 04:28:00 PM »
Best? hmm.. lets see.. Ju88  :D

At least it will give a good feeling after you kill enemy buff.
Just parks in front of the buff and its pilot just wonders "wtf is that ju88 doing" and after he recovers from initial stun by this rare sight, hes got cockpit full of 7.92mm   :p

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2001, 04:35:00 PM »
<cough> BS <cough>

Originally posted by Buzzbait:

The Typhoon has the great guns, but its high speed handling is worse than the G10.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2001, 05:43:00 PM »
P47 by a long shot, it has the advantage with .50s to be able to open up at much longer range, therefore minimizing the threat.

2 17's downed in the same pass with Jug.

I fly YakT alot lately...  I don't find it much good versus buffs.  The slow ROF typically means I could kill the buff faster with 8 .50's.  I'm lucky if I've killed any buffs in 1 pass with YakT.

SKurj

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2001, 05:44:00 PM »

Not me but I have several kills in B-17.
Funniest was against Nexx over a year ago when we both had a B-17. I was laughing like mad when we attacked against each other like knights on their horses in ancient England  :D

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2001, 06:32:00 PM »

I hunted and killed a Lancaster with one after the Lanc had destroyed all of the FHs at the base.

I've also used the B-26 as a fighter for base defense when the FHs are down.  Got an F4U-1C with it.

The Mosquito FB.VI will probably be counted as a bomber and will replace the B-26 for such things.

Tac,

The Mossie will only be a good Buff killer at low altitude because it only has single stage Merlins.  The Mosquito FB.VI peaks in speed at 13,000ft.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2001, 06:58:00 PM »
aw crap

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2001, 10:36:00 PM »
S! Vulcan

You're the expert in the Tiffie.  I must be wrong on that one.    :)

Offline ET

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2001, 11:22:00 PM »
Since I fly a buff a lot,I'll tell the plane I have the most trouble with.

In a pigs eye I will.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2001, 06:55:00 AM »
G-10 30mm + 2x20mm seems to do the job whatever the alt or target.... even against ET  ;)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34