Author Topic: Aircraft ID Distances  (Read 406 times)

Vyper

Aircraft ID Distances
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2000, 05:10:00 PM »
I was surprised to see this thread resurface.  I hadn't read the last several responses and appreciate the positive comments.  Andy, I'll pass along your hello to Fredhog the next time I see him.  He retired about 2 years ago and now flies for UPS.

------------------
Vyper
134th Fighter Squadron
VTANG

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Aircraft ID Distances
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2000, 10:30:00 PM »
I can't help but agree that we need some assistance for newbies, but I wonder if BVR icon ranges are really much of a help.  Think of this situation:
pilot is flying a p51 at 10,000 feet, when a dot on radar shows itself to be a FW190 at 20,000 feet d8.0 away.
If pilot is a vet, pilot runs away screaming.
If pilot is a newbie, pilot charges the FW, becoming an easy meal for the FW.
Ok, you say, but what about bounces.  Newbies will find it frustrating to get shot down without even seeing their enemy.
Think back to your first days online.  Did it really matter at what range the icons were?  Heck, you had trouble just working the view system.

The current radar-and-icon setting for me has nothing to do with helping out newbies.  What it does, imo, is add to the "furball corridor" syndrome by letting people know in what general part of the map the enemy is.  The BVR icon and ident doesn't help them one bit.  How many of them do you think actually know the difference in performance between a yak-9u and a n1k?  These are advantages given only to those with a bit of experience.

funked

Aircraft ID Distances
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2000, 10:43:00 PM »
In AH we are flying WW2 aircraft with WW3 radar, IFF, range finders, and helmet display.  How one can expect to simulate WW2 air combat under those conditions is a mystery to me.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Aircraft ID Distances
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2000, 10:50:00 PM »
Yeah, Funk...and don't forget the 17" or 19" monitor that takes the place of a 3' wide windscreen and life size planes!!!

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!