Author Topic: Hostile Shores article on Wargamer.com!  (Read 216 times)

Rojo

Hostile Shores article on Wargamer.com!
« on: September 25, 2001, 08:43:00 AM »
Follow the link below to read it.
 http://www.wargamer.com/articles/hostile_shores_main.asp

The only thing they messed up on was on the little intro peice on their main page.  They refer the "Operation Hostile Shores" as a USAF Academy training program, which is not strictly correct (though I guess you could argue it served that function).  The article itself gives due credit to HTC and the Aces High on-line community, however.  So I'll forgive the small error  ;).

Over all, not a bad bit of press for our favorite addiction.  Hope you enjoy it.

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2001, 09:03:00 AM »
Enjoyed, thank you  :)

Hope in future new events like this will have place.

s!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2001, 09:16:00 AM »
Excellent article!  Thanks, Rojo.

I think this was a terrific use of Aces High.  I hope it becomes an annual event with the Academy.

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2001, 11:19:00 AM »
Very nice article!  I'm looking forward to seeing the cadets in future events as well!

Camo
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2001, 11:32:00 AM »
Very interesting read. Great idea, HTC - and good marketing, too  :)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2001, 11:52:00 AM »
:)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2001, 04:23:00 PM »
Great article!

eskimo

Rojo

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2001, 04:58:00 PM »
Thanks, guys.  The real heros, and I wish I had stressed it more in the article, are you in the AH community.  You embraced the idea of the cadets' participation without reservation, and welcomed them with support and enthusiasm.  When they made mistakes, you didn't gripe or denigrate; instead you offered serious advice and encouragement.  It was one of the most personally rewarding scenario events I've ever had.  Special cudos to the CM team for approving this, and to HiTech Creations for making it possible by their support to the Cadet Wargaming Club.  

I hope HiTech and Pyro don't mind my taking the liberty of allowing Wargamer.com to reprint this.  This piece was the final report I wrote up for the Academy faculty, regarding the cadets' Aces High activities.  One of the professors passed it to the Air Force Wargaming Center at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery, AL.  One of the officers there passed it to a retired Major who works for Wargamer.com, who in turn contacted me and asked for permission to reprint it on-line.  And now you know the rest of the story...  :cool:

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2001, 06:22:00 PM »
It was a good article, and interesting to see what you emphasized.  Personally, I was dying to hear the part of the story I'd only had in fragments: the intel efforts the cadets used, the way the command structure functioned in the chaotic environment of a frame and how it was adjusted from frame to frame to be more effective, and so on.  I also thought that the low turnout of frame four could have been justified less along the lines of "dead pilots" and more in terms of one of the more underrated aspects of these multiframe scenarios: unit morale.   Part of the fun of these things is keeping the interest level of the participants up.  While certainly going AWOL isn't as prevalent IRL, there certainly is in my mind a good analogy between non-attendance late in frames and units with broken morale having little combat effectiveness.

Anyway, great read, nice to see it get some circulation, and nothing would please me more than to take place in a similar event in the future.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2001, 06:46:00 PM »
haven't read it yet, but I wonder if they mentioned me smahing my corsair into the bridge of my CV on my landing ;)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2001, 07:38:00 PM »
Great article, and it was a great scenario  :)

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2001, 11:58:00 AM »
Fantastic reading. THAT has to be the best after action write up I think I've ever written. Thanks for the link!

Westy

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2001, 04:19:00 PM »
Great Article !!  :)

I'm with Ammo, *snif* *snif* they didn't mention the combat prowness of 1841 Sqdn.  ;) ....whoops, but at least they didn't mention our abysmal carrier landing record either  :D

Heheh thinking back, I think we lost more planes to bad traps than to enemy combat aircraft.

It would be fun to do it again in another scenario.  :)