Author Topic: News - Wow  (Read 734 times)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
News - Wow
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2002, 05:14:43 PM »
We plan to start this arena with an 8th AF/Luftwaffe setup and eventually expand to all theaters

Cool , looking forward to it :cool:
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
News - Wow
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2002, 05:15:59 PM »
I'm a little worried about what happens to the MA if you take out all the hardcore strat players

I sure Lazs will be able to shine a little light on that for you...;)

Offline Moose1

• Copper Member
News - Wow
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2002, 05:22:42 PM »
Mudd, I'm surprised Lazs hasn't shown up on the threads about this new arena. :)  Actually I'll bet he likes it.  Separate arena, won't affect the folks that like to furball (of which I'm one a lot of the time), what's not to like?

My main concern is what happens if we split the population of the main--if people thought the Pizza was too big with 400-450 online, what happens if we take, say, 150 of them and shift them to another arena?  I'm sure that HTC has already considered this, though, and TBH, considering the way AH is growing, this might not be an issue by the time 1.11 comes out in "two weeks".

And maybe a mission arena will get more people into flying structured events like TODs and full-on scenarios.  It's a win-win situation! :)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
News - Wow
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2002, 05:23:32 PM »
Originally posted by Moose1
I'm a little worried about what happens to the MA if you take out all the hardcore strat players and drop 'em in this "mission theatre"

That sounds like a feature to me.  :)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
News - Wow
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2002, 05:24:18 PM »
Works for me!

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
News - Wow
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2002, 05:26:34 PM »
*yawn*

+)

SKurj

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
News - Wow
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2002, 05:31:43 PM »
My main concern is what happens if we split the population of the main

Who knows what might happen.  If HTS makes a game that appeals to an ever broader customer base then AH might grow to have 450 in the MA, another 180 in the "Mission Arena" and a few dozen more in the other arenas at the same time.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
News - Wow
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2002, 05:48:35 PM »
And maybe a mission arena will get more people into flying structured events like TODs and full-on scenarios. It's a win-win situation!

the SEA only holds 250 folks. Friday ToD hits near 200 every event ends up over booked.

Sunday ToD is less populated then friday tod but still draws a crowd.

I am curious how this will work and how it will be setup. With the exception of late war US and LW plane sets this arena will most likely run into the same things we run into in the combat theater. That is if it will take on a "historical" or "immersive"  flavor.

If the missions are as simple "Capture a34" on one side and "Defend a34" on the other with all plane types available then I doudt that it will be a real alternative to the main. If it falls to draw significant numbers then it will be a "milkrun" arena. People have always called for something more then the typical main. Very few actually mean it. Remember all the calls for the "combat" type arena. Half the guys that were for it and loved the idea in those originally threads never fly there. Regardless of how many times the settings are adjusted to reflect the "reasons" why they dont fly there.

I suspect thats what it will be. But I am guessing like everyone else. We dont have the planeset or the terrains or the detailed strat for it to be much more.

I will really have to hold any opinion until I see it work.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2002, 05:51:07 PM by Wotan »

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
News - Wow
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2002, 05:49:40 PM »
I predict laz will hate it...

due to the fact that while in the MA he can't 'see' or 'talk with' the other arena.

control issues there laz ?   :p

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
News - Wow
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2002, 06:02:53 PM »
All I can say is WOW! Sounds like a great plan! Looking forward to checking it out.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
News - Wow
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2002, 06:04:17 PM »
Ahhh... I can see it now... 16 P51D's at 25k, , 4 groups of 4 in diamond formation, 5k below 48 b17's in a tight box, below them schwinefurt awaits.

Out front, 8 FW190D9's dive for the box, and 8 more 109G10's in line abrest sweep towards the ponies..

..the ponies pickle the tanks and go to wep, 1/2 after the diving doras, the others engage the 109's..

Mayhem.

Bring it on HTC!
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
News - Wow
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2002, 06:11:25 PM »
This sounds like what I've been always dreamed to find from online sims...being able to actually be that fighter pilot in "real virtual war". Now that's "a role playing game" I want to play! :)

Hopefully it's a success and will have big enough sustained player base.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Greese

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/greese125
News - Wow
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2002, 06:14:23 PM »
One thing I have noticed lately, is that a lot of the veterans around here (and on AGW) constantly say they only really get involved with events anymore.  They are getting bored.  I really appreciate that the HTC group pays attention to the vets and setting this up.  I predict it will be far better than the CT (my current home, and still a great place).

:D

Offline faminz

• Copper Member
News - Wow
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2002, 06:18:41 PM »
Im in two minds about this.
My immediate reaction is similar to above.. ie: awesome! a career based AH arena but.... Ive seen this before where theres lots of initial enthusiasm tempered once its out by pragmatism.

ie: get killed a few times and see the experten only getting the ranks and I suspect a lot will drift back to the MA for those quickie half hour filler flights.

However I applaud HT for doing it no matter what happens. it shows that they are continually thinking and offering options and that is why were here eh?

personally I was hoping we'd see the beginnings of the first person shooter aspect where you could act out a paratroop role and defend the field with yr trusty M16....

one day....

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
News - Wow
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2002, 06:26:22 PM »
:D !!!
JG11

Vater