Author Topic: News - Wow  (Read 735 times)

Offline RafBader

• Zinc Member
News - Wow
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2002, 07:23:19 PM »
Combat flight sim 2?

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
News - Wow
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2002, 08:55:06 PM »
This sounds great.  The strat guys will have a place to go do there thing.  And this should leave the MA pretty much to the furballers:)

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
News - Wow
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2002, 08:57:04 PM »
It just keeps getting better HTC. If they can pull this one off it will be what I've been waiting for for 10 years.

Charon

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
News - Wow
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2002, 08:58:45 PM »
Originally posted by Wlfgng
I predict laz will hate it...

due to the fact that while in the MA he can't 'see' or 'talk with' the other arena.

control issues there laz ?   :p

Methinks you might be chawing down some crow post 1.11.

I'm all for them giving it a go. I doubt it will have sustainable numbers above that of the CT though.
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
News - Wow
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2002, 09:10:55 PM »
I will get all the medals,,,the rest of you will not.

"The best thing about unsolicited commentary is that it is free"

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
News - Wow
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2002, 09:19:20 PM »
Originally posted by easymo
This sounds great.  The strat guys will have a place to go do there thing.  And this should leave the MA pretty much to the furballers:)

Just what the MA needs... less people.

I can hear the whines already.

Looking forward to the MT. Sounds like fun.
sand

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
News - Wow
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2002, 09:27:58 PM »
I agree the MA will be left with furballers only,for the above reasons and because all the player that play for score will migrate to this server and battle it out for stats positioning.

Offline zipity

• Copper Member
News - Wow
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2002, 10:03:28 PM »
Go figure, sounds like what warbirds had (or maybe still does) a few years ago.  At the end of the tour your rank would be assigned depending on where you ended up in the top 100.  A bit fuzzy on this but I seem to recall, whoever ended up ranked #1 made General, rank 2-5 make colonel, 6-10 Lt. Col, 11-25 Major and so on and so on...  Once you got a rank you kept it unless you changed your callsign.  They also kept stats on your best streak in terms of sorties and kills.  It was one of the few things I did like about WB.

WTG HT.

Offline AvidMC

• Copper Member
News - Wow
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2002, 01:18:19 AM »
THAT'S IT!!!! this is the final straw!!! Just as I was really cranking up the whineraid sirens HT goes and announces this. I had drafted my whine post for the BBS about the mindless furballing, I was working on my acceptance speech for the Whine of the Week awards show and now HT goes and does this!!! Thanks HT now I get no award, no expensive dinner, no big fancy show with DJ Funkedup spinning Aqua Boogie, Dr. Funkenstein and Mothership Connection. But most disappointing of all, I will never get to hold that gold statue of Rude impregnating a sheep.....THAT'S IT I QUIT!!!!!

Avid

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
News - Wow
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2002, 01:34:28 AM »
Underwater boogie baby

Offline lasse

• Copper Member
      • Lassenet
News - Wow
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2002, 03:16:11 AM »
This sounds good, real good :D

Just hope we get the numbers in there , so we can have some REAL war :)

I shure as he** will be in there.

The Wild Vikings

Commanding Officer
Lasse
You smell that? Do you smell that?
Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
The smell, you know that gasoline smell, smelled like victory.

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
News - Wow
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2002, 08:08:17 AM »
This makes me happy I opened an account a few weeks back.

Here's an idea. The one potential snag I see is the timing of mission launches. People are impatient, and won't like waiting for half an hour for launch. How about a system where a player can "reserve" a slot in a mission sometime in the future, and then go fly in another arena. Five minutes before "launch", he gets an alert from the server that his mission is preparing to launch.

The other key will be ensuring the system brings players together. Like in IL2 or a good scenario, a good mission setup brings players near each other at the critical place and time so a fight can happen. If you can find a way to automate that via a host process, you could have a winner.

The danger here is how to prevent milkruns or empty missions. I proposed a system for WW2OL missions a looong time ago that might work. Create a "Goals" structure ... a CM or HTC employee logs in, and pulls up a GUI to set short-term goals for a side. These can be fairly broad and based on time. A 48-hour goal set for one side might be, capture these 8 fields. With this goal laid down, now the auto-mission system can generate a slate of missions in support of that goal. Or, a player CM can do the same.

The missions would be generated for both sides based on that goal. Since the serve knows the goal in terms of objective and location, it can design automatic leap-frog missions to reach it. And design automatic "defense" missions for the other side, to bring people together.

For example, let's say one goal is to secure two or three fields. The server randomly picks a field from the once designated, and makes four missions for the next hour: one is Offensive CAP over the target area, one is Bomb Strike of the target. On the other side, it creates an Area Defense CAP mission near the target area, and an Area Recon in the area surrounding the target. These four missions are designed to put people in the vicinity of the target at the same time. the host monitors progress toward the goal, and creates similar missions as needed.

Capture doesn't need to be the only goal type. Other possibles are, Interdict Supply, Control Air Space, Defend, etc. anything that a host process could look at, analyze the arena, and create an automatic slate of offensive and defensive missions.

Goals could be short-term, say 12 hours, or long term, say 48 hours. They would provide a framework that could run on autopilot, at the "Goals" direction of a CM. Have a maximum of one short-term and one long-term goal per side.

Take those 4 possible goals per side, the automatic missions being generateds in support of them, and you got yourself a non-stop war. Allow ranking players to also post missions in support, and use the same server AI to post a complimentary defensive mission.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2002, 08:13:50 AM by Spitboy »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
News - Wow
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2002, 08:09:52 AM »
Between HiTech and Pyro, the thought processes and the ability to lay out the future for their software is an amazing one!  These guys are brilliant.  

Online time here is about to increase with V1.11.:D

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
News - Wow
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2002, 08:26:57 AM »
well..... I have allways said that I don't think seperate arenas work...  I don't like em much and don't move around in em.   Control issues wolfgng?   Naa... lazy like most folks.   And... tired of the same old tired solutions (seperate communities)

But....I think it is a better CT  It might have a few more players... more sustainable numbers than the CT..  For sure we won't have three viable arenas.. Right now, the training arena has more folk than the CT a lot of the time.  We really have 4 arenas right now if you consider CT numbers "an arena".

So... will having a few more, even double the CT arena numbers, be enough to make for a viable "missusn arena"??  

I really don't know.   Depends on how it is promoted.  or... that is how it has worked in the past.   If they close the MA for a while or if they say, make the MA some sort of relaxed realism or... neglect the MA with new features then I think... the new arena will have all the players but... AH will go the way of WB... Glowing acolades fro9m the few who play it but steadily dwindling numbers.

Will I be happy if 60 or so of the worst strat guys leave thje MA and we have 2 seperate communities with them being ignored?  Not much. ..

How do I see an arena with 60 or so of the worst egos to ever hit any online sim all feeling toejam on because their brand of realism is not getting enough attention??   Gee... that's a tough one.

but.... in the end.... if it is fun it will live.   if it is boring then it will die.   I don't see two AH's being viable tho.   No more than I could see the CT being thjat way.
lazs

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
News - Wow
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2002, 08:48:43 AM »
Originally posted by ra
Just when I think HTC are content to give us a 24 hour furball game, they go and to this.  You can't trust those guys.  :)

I really don't see the MA as just a furball game .

Well HT said once that his game was like a road trip , and to stick around for the ride .

So far it's mostly been a fun ride for me :)  Wonder how long this "trip" will be ?

While lazs gets his share of bad press , he called it on the CT . Not many fly there for sure .

PS: lazs , I love bombers , not flying them but shooting them down :D , please take it a little easier on the bomber guys ok ? I want more targets up , NOT less , hehe . ( so far the formation addition to the game had added 2 more kills 8^)  )

take care
spro
My current Ace's High handle is spro