Author Topic: IL2 and Aces High wouldnt it be good if....  (Read 581 times)

Offline udet

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.angelfire.com/nd/mihaipruna/dogfight.html
IL2 and Aces High wouldnt it be good if....
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2002, 04:51:09 PM »
i went under a Pe2 in my 109 and hit it. Most of my horizontal tail and the right side of my horizontal tail were gone. The Pe2 crashed. My 109 was still very much flyable, very little instability,could do hard turns too. If you lose your vertical tail in AH you will most likely crash after you bank your aircraft a little.
What is up with that??!?!

Offline OmegaMrk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2002, 05:27:23 PM »
if you get the loader for AI planes on IL2 and compare 262s AH's 262 seems extremely underhanded.

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2002, 05:30:47 PM »
Originally posted by hazed-

the start up smoke and wheel dust would be simple to add i think.

YES!

Ok, I feel better about the world now.

:cool: :D :p
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline 28sweep

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2002, 06:53:49 PM »
In addition to the roll rates Kweassa....the Lagg-3 in Il-2 accelerates like an La-7 in AH...acceleration is also overmodeled.  On the upside though-Il-2 has done a way better job w/ turn coordination.  The ball jumps all over the place when u turn...just like in a real air-plane...this is the most overlook aspect of AH flight model.  Most folks that covet the AH flt. model don't realize that the turn coordination is WAY TOO EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2002, 04:29:19 AM »
I have to agree, Il-2 is the best boxed sim so far.
I rather fly AH though, for I like its FM better. Il-2 has somewhat mushy characteristics with funny roll rates and insane acceleration. Way better than WB or CFS though.
The damage model is also very good, and all them little goodies, smokes and screeches etc.
Flew a few sorties online, and quickly discovered that my AH tactics were fully valid in there, I actually got surrounded with 5 bandits and shook them all off !!! Wonder how "real" that is, but anyway, landing your bullets on an evading target in IL-2 is pretty hard.
IMHO the perfect flight sim would be somewhere betwen IL-2 and AH, where the FM comes mostly from AH with spices from Il-2.
HiTech will get there eventually ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2002, 05:30:52 AM »
Hehe.. Angus, that's known as "Sakai-ing your way out". :D IL-2 is an unexpectedly successful boxed flight sim game which drew  in a lot of people other than your average 'flight sim enthusiasts", and thus you see a lot more 'rookie' pilots on-line, as well as the bulletin boards :).

People familiar with AH tactics quickly become AT LEAST an average player there. Couple that with the subtle gunnery and its not impossible shaking off loads of bogeys with some flippant maneuvers :). Grit your teeth, scissor and roll, think to your self "that's right punk, waste your ammo", and all the bandits behind you stall and auger one-by-one :D

But IL-2 on-line has its share of some talented pilots, too. :)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2002, 10:02:05 AM »
The coops are by far the most interesting. I do think particular dogfight servers are good- the ones that have planes limited to that year and before, axis vs allies, with somewhat close bases, icons limited to a shorter distance, only padlock, and ground targets to blow up. Those can get pretty fun, usually draws some of the more experienced guys if you are looking for a fight. Coops draw in a lot of experienced players too.

I fly in hyperlobby as Resin, so if you see me, gimme a shout and I'll wing with ya or somethin.
-SW

Offline Obear1971

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2002, 05:19:46 AM »
Sweep you been at the alcohol again????  lol :D

I think (no insult intended AH) that IL2's Flight model is far more realistic and feel to it that Aces high, well ok i never flown a Ils 109 or any of the other aircraft in Ils before but it just feels right.

you feel like you goign at speed, i like the way the aircraft pancakes when pulling back on the stick. I liek the way it is slightly more mushy as you say because thast how moveing an aircraft at speed is like, real hard to keep dead straight, it would slew and yaw about.

:)

Offline 28sweep

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2002, 09:16:18 AM »
everything accelerates and rolls like a F-16 !

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2002, 12:11:23 PM »
IL-2 is a typical Russian product, it is revolutionary but lacks finishing.:D My ideal game would be AH with gunnery model and graphics from IL-2.

Offline Glob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2002, 05:17:04 PM »
Hi, guys.

I do not want to start the flamewars, just my 2 cents.

IL2 was DESIGNED to be an offline simulator. Think of its multiplayer as of just a bonus feature. Now let's look at AH's offline (also a bonus feature imo) and IL2's multiplayer. Feel the difference.

More to say, once "those Russians" would be focused on ONLINE simulator - most of the  competitors (name them yourself) would lose A LOT of their customers. I have read some posts of ppl close to development of IL2 say that they've recieved some online competitors mails asking them "to wait with MMOG". And now "those Russians" CREATED quite a community of offline just-started-pilots for themselves. I have a friend who hated flightsimulators. Now he has a joystick :D and flying IL2

Now back to gaming.
AH. Guys, it's 2002.5 already and having a "stall zoomer" a bit rediculous. It was an OK-feature in Warbirds version 2.7 but not now with all this gfx power. I do not know about you, AH fanboys, but myself cannot name the travelling in AH as flying. In IL2 it's piece of art when you take off and make your first circle over the airfield. It's a breathtaking experience. Now run an AH and do the same. Feel the difference. And all historical tech sources will not prove to me that "AH flight modelling is right". full stop.

IL2. Full real (no icons, etc) It's just fun to play, that's it. Fun to define the sihoutte of a plane (enemy or friend), fun to play cat-mouse games in clouds, fun to boom-and-zoom. In IL2 even the color of distant tracers fire will tell you a lot. Fly VEF. It's a real war. Never felt anything even close to the experience (I have 2 years of WarBirds, some AH and... WWIIOL)

Resume: I sometimes run my very first simulator - Sopwith (in CGA mode). It's a good game... But it's generations behind. I have to admit that though AH is a good game but it's getting older. It's one IL2 generation behind.  It's life.

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2002, 05:26:21 PM »
>IL-2 is a typical Russian product, it is revolutionary but lacks
>finishing. My ideal game would be AH with gunnery model and
>graphics from IL-2.

Mora is Kurt Tank. See his genious statement  in above post.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2002, 05:32:48 PM »
I do not want to start the flamewars

Me either.

"I do not know about you, AH fanboys, but myself cannot name the travelling in AH as flying."

So I'll politely ask you to f*ck off.
-SW

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2002, 05:44:23 PM »
sport aircraft (with fm's similar to fighter ac) don't wobble and bob like they do in IL2.

as for the 'riding on rails' comment many people make.. I believe it's a bit more accurate of real ac.  
the coordinated turns are another matter.. they should be more like IL2 imo

just IMO from being in sport planes.

Offline Glob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2002, 08:39:13 PM »
** keeping the polite flameless tone **

AKSWulfe, nice post. No I really mean it but unfortunately I have to decline your appeal. Though upon your futher desire you may have some F and S -words in a private message.

And now, sir ... "get the wemon" :D