Author Topic: Anomaly in AH`s Visual sighting  (Read 131 times)

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
Anomaly in AH`s Visual sighting
« on: August 07, 2001, 09:30:00 PM »
S! all

I guess I notice this because I fly a P-47 a lot.   I get up to higher alts, usually around 15,000-25,000 ft in order to maximize the performance of my aircraft and its preferred maneuver style.  I guess you would call me an `Alt Monkey`.

At longer ranges, (out of Ikon range) it is quite easy to spot an aircraft.  It is a small black dot, (single pixel) easily picked out from the surrounding terrain.

However, I often find when I move in closer, setting myself up for a high speed bounce, (I like dropping down in a 450-500mph dive to a point below the target aircraft, then zooming up under their belly) when I look for that aircraft it dissapears.  It`s visual form changes, that is, it becomes a multi pixel coloured object that blends in with the ground much better.  It can be very difficult to find.

I usually have to trust to my instinct of where it was, get in closer and then lo and behold the red Ikon pops up.  Then I make my attack, if I`m not already in it.

The fact that it is more difficult to see an opponent at 8.0 range distance than it is at 10.0 range is not very logical.

I like the idea of objects being lost among the ground clutter, that is accurate historically, as is the higher likelyhood of an aircraft being spotted against a cloud base or a snowfield.  However this doesn`t seem to be based on this idea.  You can see the aircraft at a greater distance silhouetted against similar terrain.

Anyway I thought I`d mention this.  Perhaps others have noticed too.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Anomaly in AH`s Visual sighting
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2001, 09:50:00 PM »
I've seen it, and I've also seen the disappearing icon thingy where it looks (from overhead) as if low icons keep flying underground..the icons seem to slip under the terrain.