Author Topic: That stupid thing I complained about.....  (Read 371 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
That stupid thing I complained about.....
« on: June 02, 2000, 03:58:00 PM »
Which one? You  might ask
Back when panzers where first introduced, on my second attempt to F4u them. I was hit by a defending panzer at 2.5 k or so crossing shot while I was traveling at 250 mph +.  While such a thing is possible it certainly would be extraordinarily rare.  This really concerned me.  Wiser heads assured me that it was a fluke but the fact that it was so soon after the introduction of the tanks lead me to believe that it might be fairly common.
Well it has not happened since.  I have been around a lot of tanks since and have not seen nor heard of such a shot being repeated. I am sure it has been but it is so rare as to not effect game play.

So to whoever got me that time…
Nice shot.

------------------
"Stupids are like flies. they are everywere, but are easy to kill"
RAM

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2000, 04:03:00 PM »
The first time we were playing with tanks, HT nailed me on a full deflection shot from about 1000 yards as I circled his tank in a P-38.  I watched the shell arc right into me perfectly.  I couldn't believe it happened as that was his first shot he even fired at me and he wasn't really trying to hit me.  I spent 20 minutes flying circles around him and he couldn't hit me again from even closer ranges.  

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2000, 04:09:00 PM »
I watched a shell arc in towards me and flew right in front of my canopy... a matter of a few feet away. Was one of the wildest things I've seen  

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2000, 04:27:00 PM »
Last night I was experiencing severe lag difficulties. I was attacked by a Spitfire near A9 and managed to put two 75mm hits into him (from my view). He killed me on the third pass, killed my respawn, but when I came up the third time his wing ripped off from previous hits and I finally got the kill? Weird.

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2000, 04:48:00 PM »
Pongo I can't hit the broad side of a barn in a Panzer and i got a kill against a Typhoon in exactally in the same manner you spoke of .
 A complete fluke ,I was laughing so hard after i  saw my  HE shell take off his tail,i had tears .  

funked

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2000, 05:15:00 PM »
I've shot down 3 planes with the main gun of a tank on one sortie.  I think Duma or Badger nailed 5 once.  It's not that hard if they are strafing you.  Just select AP, wait for them to come inside 500 yds, and blow them away as they pass through your sights.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 06-02-2000).]

Offline lasse

• Copper Member
      • Lassenet
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2000, 05:47:00 PM »
I actually has shot several planes in the Panzer, the record is 3 in one trip.

But they aint circling me, the ones I shot down was diving on me in a low angle, so I just wait for them to fly right into my crosshair, and poof  

------------------

The Wild Vikings
Commanding Officer
lasse-

[This message has been edited by lasse (edited 06-02-2000).]
You smell that? Do you smell that?
Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
The smell, you know that gasoline smell, smelled like victory.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2000, 10:44:00 PM »
The only way a panzer should ever get an aircraft is if the pilot is foolish enough to come in shallow. If you are above the gun's elevation, no shot is possible for tank. Of course, the reverse is not true.  

funked

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2000, 10:49:00 PM »
You really think ground attack pilots in WW2 took into consideration the maximum elevation of a tank's main gun?

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2000, 11:42:00 PM »

Originally posted by funked:
You really think ground attack pilots in WW2 took into consideration the maximum elevation of a tank's main gun?

I doubt there was EVER a tank/aircraft kill using the main gun, unless the plane was stationary. I'm sure the panzer was a very fine tank, but gunsites had to be VERY hard to use against planes. I would think impossible. Thank god this is a game. So far my best sortie was 10 scalps in one panzer.

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2000, 05:43:00 AM »
There is nothing more pretty than hitting the tail of a B26 just as he is taking off, whatch him make a loop at 10 ft and then smack into the runway  

------------------
"Head-ons are for pilots that don't know what their next move should be"

Ltn. Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2000, 07:21:00 AM »

Originally posted by funked:

Where did I ever say that?  

At any rate, you put yourself in front of the business end of a BFG and you will probably die, reality notwithstanding...

funked

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2000, 11:36:00 AM »
I didn't say you said that, just asking.  

Offline Oosik

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2000, 11:32:00 PM »
There is noting like shooting at a hanger (2.5K) and as you watch the round close in on the hanger a plane flys into it LOL  

Offline Ouch

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2000, 11:39:00 AM »

Originally posted by Voss:
I doubt there was EVER a tank/aircraft kill using the main gun, unless the plane was stationary. I'm sure the panzer was a very fine tank, but gunsites had to be VERY hard to use against planes. I would think impossible. Thank god this is a game. So far my best sortie was 10 scalps in one panzer.

Actually, I have documentation (ok, well it's a collection of stories. . . OK OK, it's a collection of AF Humor cartoons, but they are really well researched . . ;-)  of a single instance where a straffing P-51 was struck by an 88mm from a self propeled gun.  The pilot was (according to his story) was pulled from the wreck by a Danish girl, and hidden.  In her fathers WINE CELLAR.  He had a hangover for a month when he was finally liberated.  

;-)

(It is REALLY suppose to have happend that way.  Honest.  <Actually, I'll buy the 88mm hit.  MAYBE even the danish girl.  But a wine cellar all to himself??> )

Ouch out