Author Topic: Perk Plane roll out scheme  (Read 179 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Perk Plane roll out scheme
« on: July 14, 2000, 09:40:00 AM »
In response to lots of threads in the Aircraft area I thought that this might be worth escalating to the General discussion group.
I think that when new planes are introduced that they should start in the MA unless Pyro is positive that they are too unballancing.
Some definalty unballancing types would be the Mig 15 for example...
But planes like the D9,Spit XIV andP47M will be harder to classify. They will be great planes but will they be unballanceing.
I feel that planes like that should start in the MA. They will likely get their FMS tweeked a little and everyone will want to try such planes out without waiting. If a plane is unballancing the MA will show it real quick.
There seems to be lots of hard feelings being generated about the introduction and status of some of these aircraft, I just feel that this kind of plan would minimize the angst during roll out.

Offline mx22

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2000, 10:38:00 AM »
For once we agree Pongo
New planes should be put into normal plane set for a while. To make people accostomed with them, plus to rule out possible FM mistakes.

mx22

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2000, 11:00:00 AM »
We probably aggree about most things MX. But they never get discussed. Glad you like the idea.

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2000, 11:27:00 AM »
A reiteration from the Vehicle forum -
Perk planes are BS. The day I can't select a plane in the set because "I don't have enough points" is the day I cancel my account.

Don't penalize me because I suck. My $29.95 is worth the same as anyone else's.

A better way to balance Gameplay would be to limit the number of planes available for all - using some sort of respawn rate.

Sour

------------------
Sour
JG-2 Richthofen

"Hey - someone has to be the target...."

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2000, 11:32:00 AM »
Okay, I feel squirrely today ("Today!?!" you aks?)

How about if the player really sucks, and uses tactics like Dweebs-stars, etc. they get an auto-boot to the iEN webpage?  

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2000, 11:34:00 AM »
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2000, 02:31:00 PM »
I think the perk planes when flown in the MA should have their own icon color... say bright blue or somthing.. I think the idea that everyone would know who you were and could either A) avoid you or B) go on a country wide CAP to hunt you down.   So while is seems that the better pilots would be the ones with more access to these planes (unless I'm misunderstanding somthing) it would also make them marked men so to speak.  Anyways just a zany thought I while sitting here the other day.  
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2000, 02:49:00 PM »
I'm with Sour on this one.  

A perk system, no matter how well thought out, and good intentioned still has one basic flaw......not everyone's $29.95 is treated the same.  We all fly this sim for different reasons, and up to this point, we have all paid the same amount of money and we have all had access to the same planes in the MA.  Wow, kind of fair isn't it?

Cobra

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2000, 04:04:00 PM »
Some have suggested that once you get a "perk" plane, you lose it when you crash it.  With the re-arming stations, you can hang on to the plane until you crash or log off.

I suggest that there be a limited number of "perk" planes in the air per country.  There could be a way to *randomly* distribute these planes to players, or give priority to those who have not flown one recently.

Once you get a perk plane, you own it until you crash it, switch planes, or leave, at which point it will be put back into the lottery for someone else to fly.  This might help get more people online... thinking "maybe tonight I'll get a ride in a TA-152!"

Giving planes out based on pilot performance just is not fair to those of us who aren't aces, and it makes facing the already steep learning curve that much more difficult.

Salute,
IC

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2000, 04:16:00 PM »
I'm with Sourkraut and Cobra on the whole "perk idea".

"Don't penalize me because I suck. My $29.95 is worth the same as anyone else's."

Mox
TWC

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2000, 04:24:00 PM »
*yawn*

WHAT perk planes?? Last time I checked, we all had the same planes available to us. Sadly; these planes are available in all 'countries'. So we got LW a/c fighting against LW a/c; USAAF vs USAAF.. etc, etc.

Untill such time as the 'perk planes' become a reality, I think we'd be better off lobbying for a 'historical' arena.. and spent our BBS time on getting across to HTC that what planes we DO have available would be haluva lot more fun to fly in an arena enviornment more suitable...

IMHO.  

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2000, 03:44:00 AM »
Ohhhh.........historical arena... the mere thought sends shivers of excitement down my spine... wait lemme try it again.....historical arena.... yup still there... I agree with ya on this one Hangtime.   Course I still do like my idea of seeing a "perk plane" getting chased half way across the arena but 20 hungery cons itchin for the score bonus.  

------------------

"Smoke me a kipper boys, I'll be back for breakfast"

[This message has been edited by Soulyss (edited 07-15-2000).]
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.