Author Topic: Losing UDP  (Read 447 times)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Losing UDP
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2002, 07:48:19 PM »
I beleive it's ports 2000 to 3000; that fixed it for me.

But I agree it would be nice if HTC posted the numbers.

Offline fullback

• Copper Member
Losing UDP
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2002, 08:06:38 PM »
Some of these UDP to TCP port changes and disconnects may be from incompatible NAT router configuration or other port issues. But not all.

There are many players with correctly configured routers, no routers, low pings and consistent connections through well configured ISPs that are experiencing the same thing on a variety of well configured platforms running a variety of Windows OSs. Some are using Adsl, some are on dial-ups, some are on cable and some are on fiber (me).

Therefore, the problem lies closer to the source and I trust HTC is aware and working to identify it, or correct it if it's been identified.

I will speculate (just intuition with no data or information so don't go nuts on me here) that the connection problem is hardware or hardware configuration. I know nothing about HTC's connection to the backbone, but I suspect the problem is within 2 hops of HTC.

The amazing part of this is that they've been able to time the connection drops so well - usually right after a good sortie, but before landing. How do they do that?

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Losing UDP
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2002, 08:18:27 PM »
Thx for the port numbers.  I can only open 64 on my setup, so I'll try 2000-2063 and see if it works.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Losing UDP
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2002, 10:22:13 PM »
I do recall HT stating around the release of 1.10 that the UDP sensitivity had been tightened.

You need to open ports 1999-3000ish to inbound UDP traffic and map it directly to your PC.

Linksys routers have been historically a nightmare. They try and do some sort of auto-UPD forwarding based on outbound traffic patterns. IE they try and learn what is going on. So usually they get it right half the time, then drop the session later on.

Those people that are getting the 'switching to tcp' message just before a CTD or Disconnect, its most like that your connection between HTC and yourself has dropped the ball entirely. IE, a router is resetting somewhere. And the switching message is just the first step in your disconnection.

The thing to remember here is... its the NET. It was never designed to play games across :)

If you want a good reference on how well HTC have their setup worked out, I'm in NZ, about as far as you can get from them. I have a regular 200ms ping (even at peak times), and on average get two discos a week - usually due to router resets along the path. I have a 128k DSL connect, using an internal PCI card, on a pc running W2K and Winroute software, with my gaming PC connected via 100mb ethernet.

If some sheep-shagger in NZ can get good stable connects then I'd say HTC have a fairly good connect to the net :D

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
Losing UDP
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2002, 09:44:31 AM »
Originally posted by vatiAH
Asmoden,

I just got setup on cable about two weeks ago,  I have Linksys router that did not have the correct ports open.  I would log on, be in the air or tower roughly 3 minutes then I would loose UDP.  Now that I have the right ports open, I rarely loose UDP.   I'm not saying you are wrong, but you are also not 100% correct.  

Vati

I play from two entirely different networks, one has a linksys router. I have no open ports and I would be very concerned if I did.  The only time I EVER had to open ports was when I wanted to run a Roger Wilco Base Station or during the short time I had an FTP server up.

Something just isn't right if you are finding yourself required to compromise your system security to make a game run.

Offline Catching Spies

• Zinc Member
Losing UDP
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2002, 10:05:16 AM »
I called HT they do not support or offer assistance for UDP Mathew recommended I call Links.

Links recommended the following:

Forwarding/enter 2000/3000 for the ports/check UDP/enter your IP address 192.168.1.(250) you can check to see what yours is by typing (run/cmd) "ipconfig /all" with XP, enter the last numbers for your internal IP.

They did not recommend "port triggering" who knows maybe another Tech would have.

On the filters page they also recommended disabling the following:

SPI, (Block WAN-not to sure about this one maybe someone with more knowledge can answer)

Offline Moon

• Zinc Member
Losing UDP
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2002, 03:27:28 PM »
I live right next door and I receive the message "Lost UDP switching to TCP" at least once or twice a session.

I don't believe it has anything to do with physical location:)

Offline Lars

• Zinc Member
Losing UDP
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2002, 05:04:13 PM »
Originally posted by Moon
I live right next door and I receive the message "Lost UDP switching to TCP" at least once or twice a session.

I don't believe it has anything to do with physical location:)

You would be correct. I'm on the West coast and connect with a 36.8 dial-up. Ping times are steady at 160ms and with the exception of one UDP drop in v1.10 I NEVER have that problem.

I wonder, most Hi-speed ISP services provode a dial-in number to help with service outages...maybe those that have this option can check out the quality of that dial-up connect and possibly use it when they are having a problem maintaining the UDP connect with their broadband.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Losing UDP
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2002, 05:21:03 PM »
And you don't HAVE too. AH quite happily uses TCP. However if you want the best, ie UDP, then you have to open those ports. This is not the fault of HTC, they didn't design the protocol.

And opening a small port range to one PC is hardly going to cause massive security breaches. You can also specify the source IP address if you're really concerned.

Originally posted by Turbot

I play from two entirely different networks, one has a linksys router. I have no open ports and I would be very concerned if I did.  The only time I EVER had to open ports was when I wanted to run a Roger Wilco Base Station or during the short time I had an FTP server up.

Something just isn't right if you are finding yourself required to compromise your system security to make a game run.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Losing UDP
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2002, 07:09:12 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
And you don't HAVE too. AH quite happily uses TCP.  

The point is, it doesn't.  It says "switching to tcp" and then discoes.

Offline San

• Copper Member
Losing UDP
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2002, 11:58:49 AM »
Was having same problem lost UDP transfer to TCP followed by crash to desktop. I have the linksys router. Anyway setup port triggering 2000-4000 range. Problem fixed. Thanks for the info in this post guys.

Sandog

Offline Catching Spies

• Zinc Member
Losing UDP
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2002, 10:13:45 AM »
I changed the port forwarding as suggested in my early post. I have played now nearly 7 hours with no CTD or loss of UDT transfer to TCP.

Hope the post helps others,

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
Losing UDP
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2002, 06:04:10 PM »
Catching Spies,

The way i under stand it is, when you setup the port forwarding  it is always forwarding those ports.  The port Trigger opens them only when you are running the program you have setup as the trigger.   Both options seem to work great thou so i guess it does not matter which way you setup it up.

Vati
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline Asmodan

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.raf303.org
Losing UDP
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2002, 02:01:13 AM »
Mike - not alweays - in 70% u are disconected in 30% u stay in game but in TCP/IP mode - that how it looksfor me.