Author Topic: Override auto-flaps?  (Read 517 times)

Offline MWHUN

• Copper Member
      • http://www.most-wanted.org
Override auto-flaps?
« on: July 29, 2002, 05:30:41 PM »
Can the automatic flaps be overridden manually?  Sometimes I have 1 or 2 notches down and as I gain speed they deploy back up on their own… what if I don’t want that to happen…

Is that how it worked in RL on WWII birds?
:D

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
Override auto-flaps?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2002, 11:42:35 AM »
Not sure how it worked on real WWII planes, but you are correct in saying that when speed increases, you can't override the retraction of the flaps. This has been an issue before and I'm not sure if anything is being done with it. Sorry to disappoint you, but we all have to live with it.

Jason
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Re: Override auto-flaps?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2002, 03:41:20 PM »
Originally posted by MWHUN
Can the automatic flaps be overridden manually?  Sometimes I have 1 or 2 notches down and as I gain speed they deploy back up on their own… what if I don’t want that to happen…

Is that how it worked in RL on WWII birds?
:D

The auto-rectracting flaps are probably the biggest B.S. thing about the AH flight model.  It's stupid having flaps auto-retract on planes that didn't have this feature and only should be on the very few planes that did have it.  

Ack-Ack

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
Override auto-flaps?
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2002, 11:42:10 PM »
The auto-rectracting flaps are probably the biggest B.S. thing about the AH flight model. It's stupid having flaps auto-retract on planes that didn't have this feature and only should be on the very few planes that did have it.

Why not take it all the way to the realism limit, and for the planes like the Bf-109 and the Me-262 that had automatic leading edge slats (springs pushing them out; air pressure against the slats held them in; under conditions close to stall, the pressure decreased, letting the slats pop out) and model asymmetric slat deployment?

This was a historical problem, one that can be seen most humorously in a postwar filmclip of a USN F-4D "Ford" (the 'Skyray') making a carrier landing, and doing a corkscrew approach because of asymmetric slat deployment -- it was fairly common for the pilot to have the plane chief rivet the slats closed.

Offline OmegaMrk

• Zinc Member
Override auto-flaps?
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2002, 12:44:44 AM »
If flaps stayed there like they should they should rip off when you gain enough speed/pass the tolerance ark.

Offline akak

• Silver Member
Override auto-flaps?
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2002, 03:41:09 PM »
Originally posted by OmegaMrk
If flaps stayed there like they should they should rip off when you gain enough speed/pass the tolerance ark.

Then, like real life, the AH pilot would have to take care in his flaps usage.  Most planes that flew in the war didn't have auto-retracting flaps.

Why not take it all the way to the realism limit, and for the planes like the Bf-109 and the Me-262 that had
                            automatic leading edge slats (springs pushing them out; air pressure against the slats held them in; under
                            conditions close to stall, the pressure decreased, letting the slats pop out) and model asymmetric slat
                            deployment?

If the plane had them in the real world, they should have them in AH, but I think the flight model limitations of AH prevent those from being added.  Which I think is also the reason why all planes have auto-retracting flaps in AH.

Ack-Ack

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Override auto-flaps?
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2002, 06:10:34 PM »
if flaps didn t auto retract..u would get arirfame dammage...they woul either rip off...bend the aucuating arms or just get bent and never move where u want them....

If AH didnt make them auot retract..almost all of us who use flpasa woudl be flying around with eiether broken or dangling flaps...

lololol

Love BiGB]
xoxoxo

p.s.  I hat when my 109 flaps start to retract too

Offline akak

• Silver Member
Override auto-flaps?
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2002, 11:07:58 PM »
Originally posted by BGBMAW
if flaps didn t auto retract..u would get arirfame dammage...they woul either rip off...bend the aucuating arms or just get bent and never move where u want them....

If AH didnt make them auot retract..almost all of us who use flpasa woudl be flying around with eiether broken or dangling flaps...

lololol

Love BiGB]
xoxoxo

Must not have been a real issue because most of the US ETO front line fighters didn't have auto-retracting flaps.  Don't recall many of the US Navy planes in the PTO having them either.

Ack-Ack
« Last Edit: August 02, 2002, 01:15:44 AM by akak »

Offline OmegaMrk

• Zinc Member
Override auto-flaps?
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2002, 01:12:30 AM »
Originally posted by BGBMAW

lololol

Love BiGB]
xoxoxo

Shed some weight off with no flaps =p

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Override auto-flaps?
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2002, 03:42:24 PM »
yes they didnt have auto retrtacters/..BUT there are AIr speed indictaors thet wrere colorcoded to show the Ve speeds..(Maxium Flaps Extendd Speed)

If pilots tried to extend flaps above that speed..2 things usalluy happedned....1 ..if it was mechanical ..i e human muscles that would extend them..you were either to weeak to do it cause of the air flow (would be at hi speeds)  ..or they were hydraulic-electric ..and would extend and either do airframe damage..make ur fligth model fly very badly ..or bend or break....

Yesterday while landing my cessna at a Class C airport,..I got too busy haven the Tower  tell me i could use RW 13L...I was doing a Short field landing..and i exetended my flaps about 10 knots above Ve speed..nothing happend and i landed safly..but my instrctr remeninded me of my Ve speed..lollo

sound s good right??

Love BiGB
xoxoxo

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
Override auto-flaps?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2002, 06:01:07 PM »
i distinctly recall the 'floating' feeling you get when putting flaps in on approach in cessna's (152/172/t41). Also notable was the need to fight the nose angle if you got a bit fast with flaps deployed. It is things like that that serve to remind us we are playing a game :)  not flying real planes.

bockk

Offline MWHUN

• Copper Member
      • http://www.most-wanted.org
Override auto-flaps?
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2002, 03:58:31 AM »
I would like to have the opportunity to push my fighter beyond its limit—If I push it too hard and break\damage my flap—than its my fault or decision… and I would have to live with that…

But I would still like to have that opportunity…

just sayin'

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Override auto-flaps?
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2002, 01:42:49 PM »
i agree ...make us hurt ourselves...

its just HTC has  atender heart..doesnt want everyone crashn..lolo

Love BiGB
xxoxo