Author Topic: B-29 Time? Another shameless request...  (Read 231 times)

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
B-29 Time? Another shameless request...
« on: August 06, 2002, 01:14:36 PM »
With all the changes to the bombing system we have basically determined the the role of heavy bombers in AH as it is now, has been eliminated.

Anything a Buff can do, a Jabo mission can do faster, more accurately and more effectively.

Now with the advent of the 163 (It can't be far off if they flew it at the con) you've got another late war German Uberplane designed to knock down bomber formations. But alas, there are no bomber formations for the 163 to intercept. Only the most ardent supporters of the Buff continue to fly them.

So now I ask you, what is the harm in adding the B-29 to the planeset? Accuracy is such an issue now, that it's virtually impossible for a single flight of 29's to knock out anything but a small airfield, and even that is an adventure. So I don not believe the 29 will unbalance the arena.

The 29 according to my sources, only carries 6k more than the Lanc which we already have. I understand it has greater speed and altitude capabilites, but the higher and faster you go, the less accurate your drop will be.

My point is, if Level Heavy Bombing is no longer a factor in AH, why not add the 29 for the Buff fans? Make it a perk plane. Make it operable only from medium and large fields. I don't care, but please don't make me fly that damn ugly Lanc again!

Offline NOD2000

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2002, 08:29:09 PM »
yah BRING THE 29 TO ACES HIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2002, 01:41:22 PM »
The reason Buffing  is not a factor is because lack of tactics...

I have yet to see one tight large (over 20) formation of bombers since 1.10.

The other day, I watched the bar in one sector grow, I took off in a 109G6 and climbed until I found the bad guys.

4 or 5 lanc formations, Spread out over a few miles waiting to be plucked from the sky.

The enemy mission was needless to say totally destroyed.

I claimed 2 lancasters and an assist. Before Compressing in a dive.

I guarantee if those lancs were tight, I would have been a dead duck on the first pass.

The way the formations work now is, you have to have a gunner beacause time spent in bombsight and you have to fly a tight formation or you will not survive.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline addy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2002, 02:52:34 PM »
No 9 RAF flys  the buffs and in tight formation...we have had close to 30 buffs airborne at a time!!! We like the new setup for bombing. The thing I have noticed is the guns in the Buffs seem to have been greatly weakend!! Last sunday I light up a p47 with hit sprites for about 2 full seconds from the tail of my Lanc...that was 12 .303's. Now I realize .303's are BB guns, but 12 .303's he should have at least lost a control surface. I have noticed this in all the heavies, so hopefully it is just a glitch and can be fixed!! It is impressive when you get diving 262's on our formations and have them shredded right in front of your eyes though!!!:D

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2002, 03:02:57 PM »
Seven pilots flying bombers, with much practice, can easily shut down an airfield.

However
Seven pilots flying a mix of p38s and typhoons, and a goon, with only a bit of practice, can CAPTURE an airfield.

Therein lies the problem.

A jabo can do more damage to ANY target in the game, FASTER than any buff.

I'd rather buffs be fixed before the b29 is put into the game.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2002, 03:13:25 PM by Innominate »

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2002, 03:11:50 PM »
No thx, plz no B-29.
There are many others (from other countries) that IMHO have to be done first

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2002, 04:23:48 PM »
I'd love to see the B-29, it's one of the nicest looking WW2 buffs out!  However even if they enabled the A-Bomb I think I'd still miss the target! :)
NEXX

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2002, 06:04:21 PM »
One of the main reasons I think you see so few buffs in the air is that the damage model is total bollocks.
 Tonight my 3 Lancasters were attacked by a Hurricane,I lost 2 Lancs and got many,many hits on the Hurri with no effect whatsoever.
 We can hit targets no problem,I can hit small targets now no problem,but untill this problem with bomber defence/damage is sorted,it is simply NOT worth the time flying all the way to a target only to get whacked by  hurricane or whatever.
 As for all 3 planes taking the same damage,total BS,they should be reguarded as 3 individual a/c and not as 1 which seems to be the case.
 Its not bad tactics,its not bad formation,just very bad damage modelling.And that should be fixed before any more rocket planes or whatever are introduced.
Joc

Offline Obear1971

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2002, 04:48:36 AM »
UGLY LANC???  UGLY LANC

HOW DARE YOU SIR !!!!!!

(slaps face with glove)

I challenge you to pistols at 20 paces.

The lancaster is a beuttiful plane if you have never seen the RAF formation of spit hurry and lanc in formation flying you just havent lived.

Ugly Lanc indeed, me thinks you need to ahve your eyes tested, or boiled in a vat of hot oil and then set alight, whatever cures you of this dreadfull perception quickest :D

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2002, 05:44:08 AM »
A B-29 would b a great addition to spend some perks on.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2002, 08:39:06 AM »
*rummages through glove compartment for dueling pistol....*

Hmmm..No luck. How 'bout Super Soakers?

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2002, 03:22:33 PM »
Originally posted by -ammo-
A B-29 would b a great addition to spend some perks on.

Yeah look at the arado now..

I havnt seen one arado since 1.11...let alone a formation.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2002, 03:56:38 PM »
I like the new buff bombing.  It is realistic.  One must concentrate on the soft strat targets.  Tactical pinpoint bombing was only done by the Brits with some Lancs.  Their losses were high as was their mission failure rate.
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2002, 07:47:29 AM »
I'm not sure if I like the new bombing system...I dont think perking b29 would be a good idea..no one can hit anything anyway to make more ordinance worthwhile...BUT, how about perking ammo load outs (incindiary bombs)??? Maybe be able to burn a city or feild down??? -just my 2 cents

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2002, 10:18:19 AM »