Author Topic: Virus Emergency  (Read 104 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Virus Emergency
« on: August 06, 2002, 05:33:01 PM »
Whoa there bessy!  I just checked my email at home and it is barraged with emails w/ attachments.

Got one from Verm titled "SoS"  w/ a file named "BGCOLOR.pif"

Got another from a person called "arrin" titled "The garden of eden" with a file called "of"

another from a person called "Dana" titled "welcome to my hometown" with a file called "button-arrow-back"

another from "fallinangel01" titled "W32.Klez.E removal tools with a file called "install" in it.

I got virus warnings on all of these.  I read a thread over at AGW at work that talked about the klez worm too :(

should I delete all the attached files?  or will that enable the virus?  Norton says it's quarantined, but I'm scared....

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Virus Emergency
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2002, 05:35:49 PM »
delete the offending emails.
then delete the quarrantined files.

you'll be fine.

simply re-scan (after downloading new def files from norton)
to make sure it's really gone.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Virus Emergency
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2002, 05:36:48 PM »
you should make sure your norton is setup t automatically dele the files, and then scan the mails in the box. Norton should do all that is needed.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Virus Emergency
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2002, 05:53:12 PM »
oh yeah.. also make sure Norton is configured to scan ALL files.. not just program files.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Virus Emergency
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2002, 07:07:41 PM »
Udie

I'm  "Verm" and "arrin", but they didn't come from my system.  I was bombarded by them today as well, and my virus software caught them my email proggy downloaded them from the server.  And I checked both my machines with several virus filters to be sure I did not actually have them.

What the virus does is looks in the address book of the infected machine and then sends out copies of itself to everyone and fills in the "From" part of the email with the address it took from the book.  That way you can't tell who actually sent it too you.  But since I got those mails and you did too, its a sure bet that its someone from AH.