Author Topic: Initial climb-out on WEP ???  (Read 655 times)

Offline 28sweep

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Initial climb-out on WEP ???
« on: August 08, 2002, 01:33:36 PM »
I have found that the E I have at the start of a fight dictates the outcome more often than anything else.  To that end- I have been recently climbing on WEP at the start of a sortie and it seems to be helping a bit.  I climb until I get to at least 10k and 300mph then turn it off.  Does anybody else do this?

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2002, 01:45:45 PM »
i WEP on climbout...especialy if I'm in the f4u-1 :rolleyes: but I'll use only up to half to make sure I have some just in case.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2002, 02:01:46 PM »
No point in burnin all your wep, but climbin out in a 109 with wep for 5 minutes won't hurt ya at all +)

SKurj

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2002, 02:54:40 PM »
Yep in 109 I use wep for climbout, then once at required alt, I throttle back a bit and reduce RPM (- key on num pad) to cool engine quicker ready for fight  :)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2002, 03:30:10 PM »
I usually climb w/out WEP till I start seeing dots in which case I lvl out and hit WEP to get up to 275-300 IAS before entering a fight
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2002, 06:47:44 PM »
Nine times out of ten I will climb out with WEP.....

Remember though that it will expire and you have to let it cool so that you can get it back.

So use that S.A.  If you got baddies right there then use it judiciously...if you got a ways to go before  a fight then use it and let it recharge!

:D

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2002, 01:01:24 PM »
A couple of additional thoughts...A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...whoops...anyway back in 94 or so saw an old clip from AW, was a HR (hardrock) sortie. Couple of great habits.

1st he circled his own field once or twice...basically once he started out he had a 2-3k alt advantage vs a con who left straight out when he left.

2nd thing he did was to "kill quick" in a 1 vs many, he really didn't work from the top down as much as he could pick out a con and hammer it hard early. Kept his E up and didn't get sucked into a true T&B but didn't automatically break off to deal with "higher" priority threats. He finished out his attacks and killed or crippled.

3rd He spiral climbed hard after each encounter...reasonably tight straight up for a good 3-5 minutes. Then leveled and went back to hunting.

Think it was a 14 kill sortie with almost all being he vs 3,4,5 cons.
He was probably one of the best spit drivers in AW back then...know he was flying here last time I was up. Anyway watching it helped me change the way I approached the "game".

The e you start with is what you have to work with. Use it to kill not to position yourself and then get it back as quickly as possible.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2002, 02:54:37 PM »
I always climbout in WEP until the engine reaches normal operating temperature (beginning of yellow zone), where I disengage WEP. Exceptions are the various Lavochkins, 109s and 190s. I leave these in WEP until the temp needle is 1/3 of the way up the yellow scale. This way, I always have adequate WEP reserve should I need it.

There is absolutely no reason NOT to climbout using WEP, so long as you disengage as described above. Any increase in speed and/or altitude is beneficial.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline av8or

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2002, 01:12:50 AM »
i use wep to shorten the take off roll like on the carrier or on a dirt runway or under attack.the latter is the only time ill leave the wep on climb out, what i have noticed is that wep will help you on climb out you need to remember you are running into diminishing returns yes you climb faster but how  much higher and faster are you going to be?? it is all pilot judgement and what is needed at what time. if the fight or sortie is long distance why use it if taking off in base defence why turn it off chances are you will be dead before you run out if FDB's are around. so remember if you need wep use it if not don't all you will be doing is shortening loiter and possible loiter time< you never know when the vulch light will come on.:D ............... all that i have vulched thx for the free kill:cool:

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2002, 07:49:26 AM »
My usual takeoff is on WEP. I use the auto-takeoff until gear raised then I hit level autoP to get speed up to 200-225 range. Then I use speed climb on WEP to climb until the temp is in the yellow range, unless I forget to turn it off :rolleyes:  then I use it longer.

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline wells

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2002, 11:39:54 PM »
A WEP climb at best climbing speed to 3000-4000 ft is a good idea.  Then you have the minimum energy you need, that is, you should have enough height to dive to the airplane's maximum level speed from it's minimum flying speed.  From there, turn off wep and climb at ~200-225, gives you good range climb performance and some speed in case you have to maneuver in a hurry.

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2002, 01:20:47 AM »
I fly the F4U-1 and I always climb out in WEP.  It seems to me that WEP is only limited by engine temp and not some finite measure.  So, when you first takeoff, your engine is much cooler than it'll ever be again and so you get a longer WEP by starting out with a cool engine.  Why heat it up w/out using the WEP?  Anyway, I WEP to almost one click to the red line then go to military power and by the time I see bad guys, my engine has cooled and I have WEP available again.

Offline texter

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2002, 08:32:24 AM »
Originally posted by humble
A couple of additional thoughts...A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...whoops...anyway back in 94 or so saw an old clip from AW, was a HR (hardrock) sortie.  

Gila Monster? Dat you?

Tex

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2002, 08:54:49 AM »
Well in Lavochkins the wep only works up till 8k, so might as well us it . And with the fuel burn rate in the ma it's best to get to desired alt asap, then reduce Manifold pressure and rpm and cruise .

Offline HardRock

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2002, 11:00:36 AM »
Originally posted by humble
A couple of additional thoughts...A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...whoops...anyway back in 94 or so saw an old clip from AW, was a HR (hardrock) sortie. Couple of great habits.

1st he circled his own field once or twice...basically once he started out he had a 2-3k alt advantage vs a con who left straight out when he left.

2nd thing he did was to "kill quick" in a 1 vs many, he really didn't work from the top down as much as he could pick out a con and hammer it hard early. Kept his E up and didn't get sucked into a true T&B but didn't automatically break off to deal with "higher" priority threats. He finished out his attacks and killed or crippled.

3rd He spiral climbed hard after each encounter...reasonably tight straight up for a good 3-5 minutes. Then leveled and went back to hunting.

Think it was a 14 kill sortie with almost all being he vs 3,4,5 cons.
He was probably one of the best spit drivers in AW back then...know he was flying here last time I was up. Anyway watching it helped me change the way I approached the "game".

The e you start with is what you have to work with. Use it to kill not to position yourself and then get it back as quickly as possible.

Lessee if I can use this confounded bbs:) Gotta be easier than Genie huh:)

Humble!  Someone told me you mentioned me. Thanks for the kind words:)  Is that the old Gila Monster?  Tex thought so.

You're last line is very true btw. E is to kill:)

-HR

Btw. Never use WEP on takeoff unless getting vulched. What's the point?  The only time you're in a hurry is to kill:)