Author Topic: New improved armor on Panzer is great  (Read 217 times)

JFalk

New improved armor on Panzer is great
« on: April 25, 2000, 10:58:00 PM »
Today I took a tank to enemy airfield, I was able to go right to the airfield and take out acks with only minor difficulty, yes the acks still zero in on your tank, and you are getting pinged from 4 acks, but at least you can get close to kill them. It was after some time that my engine was knocked out, but not after doing significant damage to the field.  It still takes quite a few rounds(15-20?) to take out a hanger, I would rather call in an airstrike of jabos to do it once the ack is taken care off.  I can see how arty will really come into play here, taking out these tough structures.

With the new patch, the only thing that will kill a panzer is another panzer, or a figher-bomber.  At least us tankers have a chance at doing something worthwhile in Airfield captures now, no more sitting out at 1500-2000 meters and praying to take out 1 ack with far out potshots.

This new armor really adds a new element of strategy to the game.  I like it very much.  If we had arty now, like the M-7 Priest, you can use the Tanks to take out weak structures like Ack, (even the MG will take out ack if you get close enough) and use the SP arty to take out hangers.  

Great Job HTC!!!!

JFalk

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2000, 11:14:00 PM »
I forgot to add, I went to hide in the bomber hanger with my tank while jabos took care of a few ack, well the ack was going right through the hanger walls pinging me. This should be fixed, I dont like unlimited fields of fire. Cover and Concealment, I had both there I assume, if not cover, make the acks destroy their own targets they are firing through to get me.

Also, I think I was able to be spotted with my country icon in the bomber hanger, because 2 enemy panzers  came out in front of the hanger doors, both came at the same time, at ranges of 250 meters and 900 meters, my gunner and loader where going overtime, as soon as I caught sight of the close panzer 250 yards out (flank shot) crossing in front of the open hanger doors I blasted it, BOOM, one shot, second panzer by that time was turning towards me , time for the second tank FIRE, hit his treads, FIRE , AP round through his turret BOOM.  Again, I was hidden, I dont think I should be able to be spotted if I am hiding in a hanger.

Hehe, had to disable the the Vehicle hanger again, I then moved to the runway, I proceeded to MG and HE every single plane that tried to take off from either end. Sat on the edge of the runway for at least 10 minutes scanning for new targerts, waiting for the goon to get in. Man it was great, 1  panzer can do a quite of bit of damage, acks, radar, vehicle hanger, fuel dumps, barracks, very much fun.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2000, 01:40:00 AM »
During WW2 an ordinary shoulder mounted bazooka would knock the tread off a panzer. Here there industructible.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2000, 03:41:00 AM »
LOL JFalk - you *rule*. Somebody pin a medal on this guy  

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2000, 04:28:00 AM »
hehe, I second Nash's recommendation!  

------------------
leonid, Komandir
5 GIAP VVS RKKA

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."
ingame: Raz

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2000, 05:03:00 AM »

Originally posted by easymo:
During WW2 an ordinary shoulder mounted bazooka would knock the tread off a panzer. Here there industructible.

LOL!!!! Which plane had bazooka`s mounted on it? WTG HTC for fixing the armor!  

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2000, 07:09:00 AM »
Yep, 3.6 would break a tread, no problem,
question, whaddya think that funny looking metal plate on the side of the tank is for?
As to name a plane that carried bazooka's
before they developed the HVAR, they used to rack-mount 4 3.6 bazooka tubes under P47's and P38's wings, so there ya go  

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2000, 09:18:00 AM »
Well count this a whine, but I believe the armour is overdone, to many times have dropped or seen dropped 2-1000lb bombs and see the tank touching the resulting craters and still that ol Panzer is blasting away. Usually shooting the offending fighter down as he trys to exit the area at 300mph+ (<S> Joemudd) Maybe the blast radius is restricted but I would still think that the bloody concussion would scramble the gunners head a bit.

funked

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2000, 09:38:00 AM »
Fighter guns shouldn't do much, but bombs, HVAR's, and the BIGarnoldROCKETS on the Typhoon should be effective.  I haven't tried it yet since the patch though.  This ain't no whine, this ain't no disco.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2000, 09:43:00 AM »
I don't know about them being to tough..I was killed several times last night by a Spit using only guns.

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals

"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2000, 11:09:00 AM »
Well, they are still vulnerable to 20mm. I took out 8 Panzer's last night & it didn't seem to be any more difficult. (The way it should be, I guess?)

------------------
Apache
Renegade Nation
"Abandon All Hope"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2000, 11:27:00 AM »
Yes, excellent work, I've spent half my tour in a tank!

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
I/JG2~Richthofen~
JG2 Communications Officer
Aces High Training Corps
JG2 "Richthofen"

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.  Remember, when
someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it
only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm, grasp the joystick button,
and shoot the sucker down!

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-26-2000).]

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2000, 02:49:00 PM »

Originally posted by easymo:

Bazooka had range of 80 meters, maximum.
That also means that heavier tanks doesn't even get a scratch from 40 meters necessarily.