Author Topic: -lights flamethrower- (WW2OL stuff)  (Read 250 times)

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
-lights flamethrower- (WW2OL stuff)
« on: June 04, 2000, 09:28:00 PM »

Was over at the WW2OL site reading and looking at some stuff. After reading thier website and looking at all the pics and movies, I downloaded right then and there.   (couse I had to trash it later   )All I gotta say is wow. That is gonna be one hell of a game. And don't worry, I'm not comparing AH to WW2OL. In my eyes AH and WW2OL are two TOTALY different things. What got the most was not the aircraft but the fact that you could command a Battleship. <beef then invisions him on the bridge of an Iowa Class Battleship, calling out targets to the 16" guns   > hehehehe Anyway I can't wait till open beta comes out. And don't worry HTC, I ain't going nowhere.........yet.   j/k

So whats your take on this guys? (please no flame wars or anything)

Beef
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2000, 09:49:00 PM »
Well, I agree, Beef. WW2OL and AH are two completely different concepts. That's why I'd like to see AH go the "what if" route and become an online version of SWOTL, with all kinds of fast, late-post war crates.

I'm going to be quenching my early-war addiction in WW2OL, and getting my Uber-Jollies(tm) over here on AH.

Sure gonna be a lot of fun this year in the flight-sim world!

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2000, 09:50:00 PM »
Whats really cool Beef, is when you get your bellybutton shotoff in a Battleship, you can complain and quit 3-4 times, but then go to say a Submarine.

Then you can quit that 3-4 times, moving finally to aircraft,which is what 99% of the AH community cares about.

The possibilities are endless. M'KAy?  

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2000, 10:30:00 PM »
Heartless creamo, but nonetheless, VERY funny. heh

funked

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2000, 10:37:00 PM »
I wanna fly airplanes.  AI ground vehicles are fine with me.  Frankly the AI ground troops in Longbow or Falcon are better than the people I see driving "tanks" here.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2000, 11:42:00 PM »
I want trains, trucks and frieghters that move around on the surface and dont shoot back unless a player is riding along or driving the vehicle that affect strat either way if a player drives or defends the vehicle or not.

say you get a convoy of trucks which are ai controlled and go from cities to factories etc. a player can drive an m16 along with the drone truck convoy or fly a plane to cap. if the convoy arives at it's destination it rebuilds whatever is damaged at the destination at a fraction of the time it would have taken if the convoy was destroyed.  

perhaps fields need resupply convoys of ammo/fuel after a certain amount of time.

in essence it would the polar opposite to rebuild time. fuel and ammo and troops would "degrade" from 100% on down if regularly scheduled supply convoys are interdicted.

it works in theory, but so does communism.  
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

RDRedwing

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2000, 06:54:00 AM »
Well I agree with you Beef, what I've seen of WWIIOL looks damn good, though I'm not yet convinced if all this will work in an online environment...

I mean, their concept is to create a scoring system that eventually gives the experienced players more influence.
That leads to question 1: their scoring system would have to be very complex since a k/d ratio system like the one we have in AH won't be enough, it just doesn't reflect everything that makes a good pilot (leadership ability, ability to actually complete a given mission etc.). Now how do you make a computer understand how important a certain mission was? Lets say some guys get the order to do an offensive patrol to drag the enemy fighters away from their airfield while another friendly squadron levels the now defenseless field. Does the computer understand the importance of the decoys? No it doesn't, and the decoy pilots will probably just get some points for shooting enemy planes, not for risking their virtual lifes dragging the enemy away from its field.

second, the concept depends of the players' ability and willingness to work together all the time and to support their country by doing what the important guys tell them. Sounds just great in theory, but there're so many people out there who want to relax when playing a game and have fun flying around a bit without having to think much. Those guys just don't fit into the concept of WWIIOL, but they do exist, I bet everyone of us is sick of trying to get his countrymates work together sometime and just has to grab his favorite ride and stupidly fly towards the next furball, kick some butt and do it again over and over.

third, the technical aspect. I believe that the WWIIOL 3d engine is powerful enough to satisfy everyone playing the game, pilot, tank driver or grunt. But I'm really wondering about packet size and things like that. The amount of information my FE needs to create an arena filled with ships, tanks, vehicles, ground troops and planes along with the changes in the terrain itself (they want to implement burning woods and maybe even give ground troops the ability to dig their own fox holes) would be enourmous. I doubt a 56k modem would be enough to ensure a more or less lag free gameplay.

Please don't get me wrong, I can't wait for the WWIIOL beta myself (in fact I even applied as closed beta tester), and if the game is half as good as they promised I will probably consider paying for it, but I DO have some doubts, the concept just sounds too perfect to me.

------------------
Redwing
Commanding Officer
Red Dragons Aces High Division

www.reddragons.de

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2000, 07:06:00 AM »
Even if the RATs can't hit the numbers, it is another step.  I believe that there is a call for a massive online sim with WWII equipment.  The question is does the technology exist to make it all happen.  That is what the Rats are gonna find out.  Even if they fail, hopefully others will learn from their failure and be able to press on.

I am number one a flight sim person.  So even in WWIIOnline I will primarily take advantage of flying.

I too see a difference.  Sometimes you just wanna furball and AH will provide that. (see this weekend I flew one bomber mission)  I was mostly in fighters, looking for where the red dots were.  That is what I wanted, I will want more of that.

Although the Rats say they will have some stuff for self gratification, their whole system is mission oriented.

AH Fighters and Furballs.
WWIIOnline Missions!

Dear god grant me the currency to afford both!

------------------

"Downtown" Lincoln Brown.
    lkbrown1@tir.com    
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Wrecking Crews "Drag and Die Guy"
Hals und beinbruch!

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2000, 07:24:00 AM »

Originally posted by RDRedwing:
Now how do you make a computer understand how important a certain mission was? Lets say some guys get the order to do an offensive patrol to drag the enemy fighters away from their airfield while another friendly squadron levels the now defenseless field. Does the computer understand the importance of the decoys? No it doesn't, and the decoy pilots will probably just get some points for shooting enemy planes, not for risking their virtual lifes dragging the enemy away from its field.

I believe WW2OL will have a mission builder too, and probably more complex than AH's.  Hopefully the commander of the operation (who makes the missions?) can give clear objectives into each group of people.  

In your example, the decoys' mission would be to prevent the enemy fighters to attack the friendly ground pounders before they manage to drop their ordinance.  

Maybe each participant would also have score multipliers according to the difficulty of their mission.  In this case the decoys' mission is probably much more difficult than the bombers'.

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"