Author Topic: Want your opinion on this.  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Ossie

• Copper Member
Want your opinion on this.
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2002, 12:12:53 PM »
As has been noted in this thread already, your employer cannot say anything that would/could prevent you from getting another job. If you find out that they did, even if it was unintentional, you can trounce on them.
Some job applications will ask if you have ever been fired from a job and why. I'm not sure what the ruling is if you refuse to answer, but in your case you can butter-up your story enough so it doesn't sound all that bad. Just never say anything bad about management because that's who you are talking to during an interview :) You might want to research what can and can't be asked during an interview and go in with that knowledge.
If your handbook does mention vulger language as a terminatable offense, then there is not a lot you can do. You might heve been able to drag that payroll chick down with you by lodging a complaint of your own (seems as though she caused you some serious emotional distress, resulting in your unintended reaction), but it sounds like too much time has gone by for that.
Overall, since we only have the one story, it seems as though you are being fired in order to avoid any further action from the clerk. Normally, the longer a person has worked (in excess of 90 days), the more documented (the d-word is important) incidents of misbehavior, etc. it would take before they could get fired, but that in itself is relative. They can always hold up the handbook and point to the rule that you broke. Law in the workplace is really weird and always open to interpretation/loopholes/opinion.
Personally I'd just move on. Find somebody that you worked for/with at that job to write you a letter of recommendation.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: Want your opinion on this.
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2002, 12:38:44 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin

"What do YOU want?" at me.                                

I replied "I want to talk to you about my check again".

At this point she had apparently had enough, and she shouted (yes, shouted) -

"I'm not starting this tonight!  I've got to put up with this Thursday and Friday, and I'm not doing it tonight!"  

At this point, you go back to any manager, tell them you were told you could pick up your check, you go to pick it up and the payroll person freaked out and started yelling at you and you are not sure what to do about it.

Let them figure it out.

Plus morbid curiousity will prolly get them in there to see whats going on with the payroll person and they can pick up your check while they are in there.

As soon as someone starts to freak out, walk far far away. If you need to talk to someone about it, talk to someone above you and give them the details of the freakage so they have your back.

I have a story too.  basically some dood at work decided he wanted to date me, he broke into my car and left me a wierd note which I gave to personnell along with the info that he broke into my car while it was parked at company parking lot..they talked to him that day...he immediately came out to me on the flightline and threatened to kill me which several of my coworkers overheard so I followed him right back into the hanger and told HR about it along with a coworker who confirmed it and they fired him...then he stalked me for a while until I moved (including keying my mustang and slashing the top with a screw driver and hanging out outside my apt etc..)...

my co workers used to make jokes at work saying "don't stand too close to her you might accidentally take the bullet ha ha ha"...cause he was a gun collector.

So if you think it's only women who are freaks at work people..get a clue!

I've got plenty of stories about women and men.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2002, 12:43:48 PM »
As somone said, blessing in disguise.

Find something better, and screw them. MAke sure you get unemployment out of them thou.

As for the information they can give out about you, legally they can't say anything bad. What you can do i have one of your friends call as if he was an employeer asking for a reference, and tape the conversation.
If they say anything derogatory, you can sue their tulips off.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2002, 12:48:46 PM »
Ski-

No ethical problems with that suggestion?

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2002, 01:16:30 PM »
Nope, not a least bit.

I've been fired from the company for what was explained to be as a "discuplinary" situation, although one didn't exist. ( They made it up - stuff like "sitting on the floor in the informal meeting in the crowded room on one occasion )
What i knew was that i was hired as a sesonal help, but they weren't willing to admit it. ( In IT industry there isn't sesonal help per se, but this company had a retail related product, hince chirstmas was the time )

I have no doubt that the squeak in charge would do anything to make my life miserable, if she had a chance, including giving me bad reference. This reference could be a flat out made up lie, ( in this case it would be ) and I wouldn't have a chance to defend myself. That's the very root of the issue with references.
Someone can abuse your very livelyhood without proof or responsibility, simply out of spite.

Hince, it's agains the law to do it.

Employeers have a way of communicating this sort of information about a person without saying anything negative. Just talk to your local HR person who checkes references.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2002, 01:20:43 PM »
Originally posted by fd ski
I've been fired from the company for what was explained to be as a "discuplinary" situation, although one didn't exist...
What i knew was that i was hired as a sesonal help, but they weren't willing to admit it...

I have no doubt that the squeak in charge would do anything to make my life miserable, if she had a chance, including giving me bad reference.

Hey, this happened to me Too! But it was  a summer job at KFC, and I was 16. I wasn't too broken up about it. Screw her if she didn't like my buiscut making speed. :p

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Goth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2002, 01:22:02 PM »
While here in Louisiana you can get fired for no reason whatsoever (true), there are still laws. Reading what you said you did you are wrong on a lot of counts. Technically, if payday is blah blah blah, then they do not have to issue you a check at all until that day. Secondly, you were confrontational with a female employee....that's just plain bad mojo.

Now, I think you are better off without this job, but first thing I would do would to be to file for unemployment and start pounding the pavement. When interviewing for another job you can either exclude your working at this firm or you can tell them what happened, but that will not reflect well in your favor.

You should check into whether or not you can sue for "hostile workplace", but you better have documentation and dates of incidents.

I really don't have anything against you Urchin, even though we have had verbal crossingof swords within the MA. I think you get hot tempered easily and this problem will happen again unless you can curb that.

As to your current situation, it would probably be best to just drive on and forget about that place. As someone else said, this could be a blessing in disguise. Either way you go man I wish you the best of luck.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2002, 01:34:11 PM »
Sorry, Ski, doing something unethical is unethical, no matter what the motivation is.

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2002, 01:52:26 PM »
1. Do you think I was justified in using 'foul language'? If not, do you believe the manager was justified in firing me, or do you think something else would have been more appropriate?

Sorry to say, but you lost your cool and let here get the best of you.  Someone suggested earlier in the thread that you should have walked away and complained to the manager; that was propbaly the best course of action.

2. If you have any experience in hiring people, answer this question for me. If I list them as a reference (and I'll pretty much have to since I've been working there for a year- if I left a year blank in my employment history I'm pretty sure eyebrows would be raised), it is my understanding that the potential employer only asks a few questions. One of these questions is "Why is XXX no longer employed at YYYYY?" I gather the answer to that question would be "Oh, we fired him for 'gross misconduct'". As a potential employer, would you even bother to find out what my side of the story is, or would I be immediately written off as a potential employee?

Depends on the employer.  Some will listen to your side of the story, some will assume that you were fired for a good reason and that you are a risk.  I was fired from my job last April.  (I failed at office politics and got end ran by a subordinate.  Long story, not important here.)  I just yesterday was hired by a company that listened to my side of the story.  End result, I am in a better job now with somewhat better pay and a lot more autonomy, which is what I wanted in the first place.  (I hated my old job.)  Give it time, this may work out for the best in the end.  Or my new job may suck and i don't know it yet.  :)

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2002, 03:07:45 PM »
My Advice: Don't get paid in checks..(or work in a place that pays by checks)

In Aus you could go for unfair dismissal, The Industrial Relations Act 1996 allows an employee who believes that he or she has been unfairly dismissed or threatened with dismissal to apply to the NSW Industrial Relations Commission.

After an application has been lodged, there will be a conciliation hearing. The employee and the employer will meet with a member of the Commission in an attempt to resolve the claim. If conciliation is unsuccessful, the application will proceed to an arbitration hearing. This process is more formal.
Both you and your employee are able to make submissions setting out their case to the Commission.
After hearing from both sides, the Commission will determine the claim either by dismissing it, or by making a legally enforceable order where it upholds the claim.
You and your employee can be represented by an agent, an industrial organisation or a lawyer.

The best part is that its a govt dept, and free.

That or you could just not get paid by check (direct credit like in Aus is far smarter)

Tronsky
« Last Edit: August 16, 2002, 03:11:28 PM by -tronski- »
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2002, 03:16:31 PM »
One thing I've learned about arguments is that its more effective that, when someone responds to you and starts getting emotionally erect, the best way to respond is to become Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men".  I really dug the scenes at Gitmo where he created a sense of rage without shouting and without using profanity.  If you can master that, you can really influence people.  You'll notice that he was popped when he himself resorted to shouting and using profanity.  

Another role model: Christopher Lee in "Star Wars".  His measured responses were the epitomy of evil, and you can use that same mannerism without getting fired!

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2002, 03:20:39 PM »
All that clerk had to do was print out the check from the puter or go through the envelopes organized by dept for the mail guy to deliver and find Urchins name. Not difficult, all this for nothing. Nothing was accomplished, build or constructed. BTW:

Didnt mean to offend any woman on board. Forget, its a coed BBS these days.

I say you sue them also, milk them for every dollar you can get.

:D

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Don't be a tard...
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2002, 03:28:26 PM »
... use electronics funds transfer and get your paycheck deposited straight into your bank account.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Want your opinion on this.
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2002, 03:31:12 PM »
Originally posted by Kanth

I have a story too.  basically some dood at work decided he wanted to date me, he broke into my car and left me a wierd note which I gave to personnell along with the info that he broke into my car while it was parked at company parking lot..they talked to him that day...he immediately came out to me on the flightline and threatened to kill me which several of my coworkers overheard so I followed him right back into the hanger and told HR about it along with a coworker who confirmed it and they fired him...then he stalked me for a while until I moved (including keying my mustang and slashing the top with a screw driver and hanging out outside my apt etc..)...

my co workers used to make jokes at work saying "don't stand too close to her you might accidentally take the bullet ha ha ha"...cause he was a gun collector.

So if you think it's only women who are freaks at work people..get a clue!

I've got plenty of stories about women and men.

What did the note say? Did he just dissapear when you moved? Is it long ago?

Ive been doing some volounteer work for a runaway shelter (kinda hard to translate, its a place where women who needs to hide for some reason come. No men are allowed there, and I dont even know where the shelter is, but I help them with various legal stuff) and I have heard too many stories like yours.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2002, 03:33:06 PM »
Originally posted by Sikboy

Hey, this happened to me Too! But it was  a summer job at KFC, and I was 16. I wasn't too broken up about it. Screw her if she didn't like my buiscut making speed. :p

-Sikboy

I thought you looked familiar Bisquit Boy! :p