Author Topic: Speedometer  (Read 652 times)

Offline Kevin14

• Silver Member
Speedometer
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2002, 01:29:53 PM »
Originally posted by SKurj
Kevin... they still not teaching any metric in the US???!!

alotta these old guys will never be able to figure out metric... but yourself.... your a kid, learn metric +) it won't hurt ya..

SKurj

Ok, then maybe they should change the airspeed indicators to centimeters per hour? :p

Offline Kevin14

• Silver Member
Speedometer
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2002, 01:31:50 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
...having to convert kph and meters to mph and feet is a handicap that the pilots of these aircraft would never have had.  It is more realistic, from a performance standpoint, to have the cockpit display data in units that are immediately understood...

Exactly

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
Speedometer
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2002, 02:44:17 PM »
I'm curious as to what difference it makes what units are used to measure speed on aircraft.  It doesn't matter if it is mph, kph, warp factor, mach, or some other randomly assigned metric.  Who cares?

Being a proud American, it pains me to see statements such as, "We are at a disadvantage because it isn't the way we use!" You learned how to fly, you at one point learned how to convert inches into feet, feet into yards, etc.  The point is that at one point in your life, you learned these tasks.  Although it's been a number of years since I was in school, I recall quite clearly learning how both the Imperial system and the metric system worked.  I also remember being taught how to convert between both systems.  If they are no longer taught today, it only further proves exactly how poor the education system here has become.

It is actually frightening that such attitudes are prevalent.  Why doesn't everyone speak like we speak?  Why doesn't everyone use the same money we do?  Why doesn't everyone ..... sorry, I guess I got off on a little tirade.

Instead of claiming ignorance, and then using that as an excuse, use your brain.  Figure it out, and quit proving the "Americans are a bloated, gluttonous, power-hungry bunch of ignorant salamanders" image that prevails throughout the world.

Oh, by the way, 1 mile = 1.609344 kilometers.

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Speedometer
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2002, 06:24:06 PM »
Originally posted by jonnyb
"Americans are a bloated, gluttonous, power-hungry bunch of ignorant salamanders" image that prevails throughout the world.

You forgot 'Big Headed' and 'Stupid'

Offline NOD2000

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Speedometer
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2002, 12:59:57 AM »
Originally posted by BenDover
You forgot 'Big Headed' and 'Stupid'

as the brits said in WWII "americans are over sexed, over paid and over here..........."

well u know what my grandfathers words were to a brit that told him that "You know y we're over sexed? probably cuz u just can't please your women. u know y were over paid? cuz most of us agree that we really would rather not be fighting your war we should be fighting the japs. you know y were over here? cuz u can't win your own damn war we have to be over here to try and win it for you.." then he punched the guy in the face and said "and tonight i am not going to pay your wife afterwards"  

Offline NOD2000

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Speedometer
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2002, 01:23:10 AM »
that was written in a letter back home to my great uncle.......

and speedometers well i say they are there for looks i can usually ell how fast i am going by the way my plane handles

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Speedometer
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2002, 02:52:47 AM »
Metric Shmetric

U-S-A!  U-S-A!  U-S-A!!!!!

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
Speedometer
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2002, 06:47:17 AM »
IMHO metric is a must!

Thank god that HTC is US. If it where a german company u US-boys had to fly ur Pee-51 with metric gauges - would u like it?

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Speedometer
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2002, 06:55:26 AM »
As long as they don't put the steering wheel on the right and make me drive down the wrong side of the road, I'm ok with metric.

Offline loser

• Silver Member
Speedometer
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2002, 07:16:55 PM »
Originally posted by hazed-
what a complete load of old hogwash that is!!

a disadvantage to americans because they cant convert to metric??

We use mph in the UK but most of europe use metric. Its easy to go from one to the other and to claim otherwise is to claim yourself stupid.

British planes have the boost system instead of manifold pressure and obviously once you've flown them once you will know that there is no difference. the needle inside a circular readout tells you the information, whats printed on the face behind the needle is almost irrelevant once you know the rough position it should be for any given objective(fuel conservation etc).

the aircraft creaks at high speeds and gives stall warning at low speeds (or sounds like a stall) so there really is no need to do anything but scan the dials.I cannot believe someone is trying to claim they are at a disadvantage because they refuse to use their brains.

I would like to see the real dials for all planes! if the russian one is different and hard to read you fly them for a while and 'what do you know!' you learn to understand them.its easy.

we would get used to them within a couple of days.well of course that is, unless youre American!. That really is a very funny claim and one that i wouldnt go shouting about if i was from the US. its embarrasin' :D

exactly.  i rarely look at the airspeed indicator, unless im flying a plane that is easy to overspeed like the P38 (maybe once a week,) the P51 (once a month...if that) or the squad goes on a mission and i am forced to fly the air sausage.

what hazed said about the circular dial is bang on.  To me it is not a gauge that measures my airspeed in MPH, KPH or hogsheads.  It is more of a "percentage" gauge.  

What i mean is 360 degrees on the gauge, if im about to come to 320 or so degrees i slow the heck down (unless im running from a fight.)  But by this time the wings are creaking so the fact that im hauling severe arse is not a big suprise.

Think of it his way.  When driving a car how many people look at the speedometer every few seconds....let alone constantly.  Those who do, if any, must go through several cars per year due to accidents.  You just know how fast you are going.  

True in real life and with 3 true dimensions it is easier, but the same principles apply. While i was down in the states i didnt get one speeding ticket or piss anyone off for driving to slow...and my dash reads in KPH.  

My motorcycle's speedo light doesnt work so you cant read the gauge at night on the highway..and nope never got a speeding ticket on that either.  And everytime i pass a light on the side of the road...my speedo is pegged on 110 KPH. How?  because i am used to using audible clues (whine of any given RPM, wind noise,  etc...) JUST LIKE IN AH!  

Change the gauges in AH to metric if you like; or leave them the way they are. It wont make a lick of difference to me :)

Hugs and Kisses,

Loser111

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Speedometer
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2002, 11:56:37 PM »
HT said not a while ago and I think it's much more than he being himself.  It's because it's part of the code in the cockpit there's no way around it unless they modify the code greatly. So I dunno maybe in the future someday ,somehow,  in another online sim, in  a galaxy far, far, away, we might get accurate gauges for each individual aircraft.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2002, 12:06:11 AM by Glasses »

Offline krazyhorse

• Nickel Member
Speedometer
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2002, 09:24:44 AM »
ok first what the sam hell is metric??? lol  no they didnt teach it  2nd im to old ta learn 3rd  i think all planes should correspond to there native origin not to USA mathmatics and language, 4th my brain is fried from using those 10dollar words:D

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Speedometer
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2002, 10:29:39 AM »
According to my Canadian friends Bob and Doug, all you have to do to convert is double it and add thirty.  so 5 degrees....40

So a metric six pack is 42 metric beers.  As soon as this is well known in the US, change will happen rapidly.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Willi Winzig

• Zinc Member
Speedometer
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2002, 12:39:55 PM »
Fully agree on gauges. It doesn't matter if you read mph or km/h.
There is only 1 difficulty I have with the non metric system. For example I'm on 15k alt (feet). I see an enemy icon right below me in a distance of 3k (yards). My poor (continental) european brain starts working... :D
Wtf is that bogey's altitude? So I would prefer icon distances in feet (or altitude in yards).
And btw: mix of metric and non metric systems would make communication rather confusing. Call it the "Hubble effect". :D

wnz
« Last Edit: August 19, 2002, 12:45:04 PM by Willi Winzig »

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
here's a thought
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2002, 05:53:34 PM »
what would be nice is if we could get option to either have the read outs in metric or imperial