Author Topic: Release new planes each tour  (Read 297 times)

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Release new planes each tour
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2002, 12:33:05 PM »
If we released aircraft every tour, we'd never have time to make/fix anything else in the game.  I think you are very mistaken on how long it takes to make a new plane ready for the game.  Of course, the really silly part of this whole argument is that we put out more updates to our game in 6 months than most games do in one year or more.
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2002, 12:58:51 PM »
If we released aircraft every tour, we'd never have time to make/fix anything else in the game. I think you are very mistaken on how long it takes to make a new plane ready for the game.

I could see maybe releasing variants of existing planes on a faster schedule, but not completely new planes.  For example, the Me-262A-1a/U1, with 2x20mm MG151/20, 2x30mm MK103, and 2x30mm MK 108 (only 3 made, so don't get your hopes up, anyone) would take a lot less time to implement than a completely new airframe. Or the A-2a, with only 2x30mm MK 108, but can carry 2 500-lb bombs as a jabo. Adding armament variations is much less complicated. But then we'd hear people griping about how "All we got was a new flavor of [insert plane heree]; we didn't get anything new", which puts HTC right back in the same spot they were before, so I don't see where making the extra effort to pump out new planes just because Duedel's bored with the ones he's got is a justifiable expenditure of effort on HTC's part; I'd rather see them working to address parts of the game that increase the enjoyment of the game regardless of what plane you're flying.

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2002, 01:05:55 PM »
Originally posted by SUPERFLY
If we released aircraft every tour, we'd never have time to make/fix anything else in the game.  I think you are very mistaken on how long it takes to make a new plane ready for the game.  Of course, the really silly part of this whole argument is that we put out more updates to our game in 6 months than most games do in one year or more.

When i recall it right it was 2 till 6 weeks for a fighter / bomber but i maybe wrong here.
As i stated in my initial post it would only makes sense if not to much work has to be done to realize this (make a "scheduled" patch each month).
So i guess ur reply was a no or 0 in HiTechs words :D
The silly part i dont get cause its a totally different thing to release new versions with many many planes added or to make a sceduled patch with one plane or one facelift.
So thx for reply SUPERFLY and go on with ur great work

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2002, 01:14:19 PM »
Wow Shiva

>Duedel's bored with the ones he's got ...

where do u read this?

I'm not bored (how could i the 190A5 is already in the planeset) but very very exited when new planes comes out!

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2002, 01:14:56 PM »
I like it the way it is.. like Xmas 3 times a year.

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2002, 01:49:12 PM »
>Duedel's bored with the ones he's got ...

where do u read this?

If you're not bored with the planes we've got, then why do you need one or more new plane(s) or vehicle(s) coming out every month? Let HTC bring them out at their own rate, rather than pressuring them to release something just to meet some arbitrary release schedule.

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2002, 02:01:54 PM »
Look Shiva:

Current planeset = FUN
Current planeset + additional planes = MORE FUN

Got it? Sure!

Offline Spout

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2002, 03:30:30 PM »
Scary....

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2002, 04:21:16 PM »
It's not realy doable, once we finish patches, we are frozen from release until the next version is complete. And any new plane requires a new FE release.

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2002, 01:40:57 AM »
Question for SUPERFLY and NATEDOG...

How much time do you use to model each fighter and bomber?

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2002, 01:43:19 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
It's not realy doable, once we finish patches, we are frozen from release until the next version is complete. And any new plane requires a new FE release.

Thx for explanation HiTech

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2002, 08:14:24 AM »
Current planeset = FUN
Current planeset + additional planes = MORE FUN

Got it? Sure!

I don't disagree that having more planes in the planeset would be more fun. What I disagree with is the "It's been a month; drop whatever you're doing and give me a new plane" attitude (I keep getting the mental image of an five-year-old kid screaming "But I want it NOW!"); having done software development for more than twenty years, I know that there's a lot more work going on behind the scenes than just what you see in a new patch or version, and yanking the production staff away from development just to crank out an incremental release delays the next version.

For myself, I'm hoping that somewhere down the development trail, HTC gets far enough ahead that they can do some of the 'planes that almost were' for an occasional "WWII:1946" special event -- the planes that amost got into the war: P-80, F7F, F8F, the really late-model P-47s, Do-335, Go-229, Ta-183, Shinden, Kikka, Shusui...  But that's likely to be a long time coming; there's still so much more that can be done with the planes and vehicles that were widely used during the war, as well as the sim itself, that the 'what if's and 'might have been's are so low-priority they're not even visible.

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2002, 09:32:15 AM »
Originally posted by Mitsu
Question for SUPERFLY and NATEDOG...

How much time do you use to model each fighter and bomber?

At the con Natedog said it takes him "about" 3 weeks for a fighter.

CON DISCLAIMER:
There was a lot of alcohol at the con so I could have heard incorrectly.  :D