Author Topic: Seriously...  (Read 230 times)

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
Seriously...
« on: August 20, 2002, 06:02:39 AM »
It's a sad day when someone feels they have something to say about some aspect of this this game that needs to be changed, but then decide not to post anything because they feel its simply not worth it.

Maybe that someone feels that the odds of actually achieving something are pretty much nil anyway, regardless of what ever documentation they can provide to back up their claim...and in the process of presenting their claim, they dont want to end up on someones list or get a warning or be rediculed by the dozens of cheerleaders that patrol these boards.

All Im saying is that if the atmosphere on these boards make people feel like that, then something is wrong.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2002, 06:06:39 AM by Hortlund »

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Seriously...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 06:09:00 AM »
Ya know Steve, you've got a point there.

Once upon a time posters that came here screaming "it's porked! you must fix it NOW or I'll quit" would quite rightly be called whiners.  These days posters that come here and make a reasonable, thoughtful and polite argument about something that may very well be a good point still get called whiners.

I think we need to raise our standards again.  :D

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Seriously...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 06:21:43 AM »
I don't agree 100%. This has always been the most whiney flight sim board I read; and anything that diminishes that has to be a good thing; although I also believe a little bit more presence by HTC would help too.

Now if only we can get the yanks to leave their domestic politics at home when they log on to this international forum we might find we end up with a WWII flight sim forum with a greatly improved signal to noise ratio.

Offline Apeboy

• Zinc Member
Seriously...
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 06:37:48 AM »
Curious how Seeker manages to complain about the crime he commits in his post.

Anyhoo, I think there could stand to be some healthy criticism now and again.  There does seem to be an edge missing from the community.  Not talking about the flame wars or the "I quit" eruptions.  Cockpit art questons, icon wars, standard/metric instrument discussions,  upcoming features and the like all seem to have faded away.  Look at the rps thread, we need more of those.

Seeker, maybe if we not take every opportunity not to lace our posts with accusations, innuendo and blame and concentrate on gameplay issues we end up with a WWII flight sim forum with a greatly improved signal to noise ratio. :cool:

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Seriously...
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 08:14:12 AM »
I have never cared if anyone liked my ideas or not.    It's more fun to be right anyway.

Public Relations Officer for the BK's
lazs

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Seriously...
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 08:54:35 AM »
Well, take a look at CoilSprings thread on AH physics and check the reaction he got.

While I'm not sure which person/thread you are referring to in this thread, there are LOTS of examples that take the exact opposite of Coil's approach.

Could that have something to do with the reaction(s) you don't care for?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Seriously...
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 11:21:42 AM »
No kidding. Believe it or not, there are plenty of people playing this game that don't have the slightest idea about troubleshooting their computer, their network, etc.

I've seen a few types...

The Down Tech has all the up to date drivers. Runs diagnostic software on his system and his network all the way back to HTC looking for anomalies. Generally convinced that it's a problem that he can find and he'll find it.

The Up Tech is the same as above, but he doesn't have any problems. Thinks it's something he did to make his system so stable.

The Faithful has an up to date system as far as he knows and believes that the problem exists somewhere in the code or the server hardware, but HTC will find it soon and until then he'll keep paying the $15 all the while quietly groaning at every CTD.

The Faithless is much like the above except he's tired of waiting for the fix to come. He doesn't want to troubleshoot. He want's plug and play just like the last version. Will cancel account and then patrol the board waiting for new patches to test.

The Bliss don't have any problems. Maybe an occasional CTD but nothing worth noting. Can't understand or empathize with anyone having chronic problems. Seems to think that the people suffering from CTD problems did something  to cause it.
sand

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Seriously...
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2002, 04:21:13 PM »
You forgot the "HiTech"

This one takes any crash or lock up as a personal failer,has nothing more inportant to him than finding show stoping bugs. He then proceeds to work long hours,sifts thew 100,000's lines of code, works week ends, trys every thing he can to duplicate the bugs, and dosn't stop until they are found.

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Seriously...
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2002, 04:28:29 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
You forgot the "HiTech"

This one takes any crash or lock up as a personal failer,has nothing more inportant to him than finding show stoping bugs. He then proceeds to work long hours,sifts thew 100,000's lines of code, works week ends, trys every thing he can to duplicate the bugs, and dosn't stop until they are found.

...and certainly my favorite one....!

dh

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Seriously...
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2002, 04:55:26 PM »
You forgot the "HiTech"

That's why, HiTech, if you guys made pencils for a living I would buy HTC brand pencils. You actually deliver, and you are fairly unique in that regard.

Charon

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Seriously...
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2002, 04:56:03 PM »
You forgot the "HiTech"

Well... call it an oversight because it's so obvious.
sand

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Seriously...
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2002, 05:43:05 PM »
ive often said what i think of the people who merely post to have a dig at someone and rarely add anything to a debate in the process.
Usually one will start it with a knock on the player posting then others join in and before too long the post is filled with bickering or name calling.Gets old real quick and people ignore the original issue.Happens all the time and i doubt it will change until those that do it go elswhere for their kicks.

I basically use this BB as a place to either say what i feel is needed or could be a great addition (ideas etc) or to talk about things i feel are wrong with the idea of bouncing these thoughts off others and see if they think the same.
what we all want is a basic i agree or i dont agree from the community but what we usually get is crap from the same few anti whiner brigade.I think people should be free to say what they like and if i dont agree i'll try to say why not without this handsomehunked name caling etc.sure have the odd joke in fun thats no problem its just its taken too far sometimes.

as a result ive just about given up on using the BB for what i 'thought' it was intended for.ie a place where HTC could see what their customers think.Now all they get is the opinion of a minority who control what is said with bully tactics, and usually really lame ones at that.half of them cant string together an original line of type.
'whine of the week' is a good example of something originally quite funny but turning into a tool used to ridicule players that from what i had read were voicing legitimate concerns.

Its all a bit boring really.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2002, 05:46:07 PM by hazed- »

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
Seriously...
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2002, 06:02:36 PM »
I do not see much whine here, but the personal blasting is bad.
If you really want to see a set of whiners
try the new FA3 at their new group. It is worst than here. Even with a code of conduct.

I feel that any idea is worth considering and should be review. Just think one of those offbeat ideas just may make this the only game in town worth paying for.

BLAST AWAY

DarkHawk
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Seriously...
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2002, 10:36:28 PM »
Now if only we can get the yanks to leave their domestic politics at home when they log on to this international forum we might find we end up with a WWII flight sim forum with a greatly improved signal to noise ratio.

AH General discussion has a domestic Yank political feel?

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Seriously...
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2002, 11:08:16 PM »
You forgot the "HiTech"

Its posts like this that remind me how hard HiTech and the crew work - we should all be more appreciative instead of negative.  Just think.. if it werent folr HiTech we'd all be playing... GASP... WARBIRDS!  :eek: