Author Topic: Pit Bulls  (Read 3259 times)

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Pit Bulls
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2002, 12:01:36 AM »
pit bulls are one of the smartest (reasoning, not ability to learn tricks) most loyal, and dependable breeds out there.  I've had several (some pure bred some mixes).  I've also had many other types of dogs (hunting dogs, hounds, house dogs, guard dogs) well over 50 not counting puppys.  so I've had alot of opertunity to compare.  

the only real problem with them (other than bad publicity & moron owners) is they are the ultimate over-acheiver.

if you teach them to be a part of your family, raise them in the house with the kids, ect.  they will be the most loyal family pet and protector of your children and family you've ever seen.

you can teach them to do stupid things, like bite a rope and swing from it until you tell them to stop. and they will hold until you tell them to stop or they pass out, they don't know quit.

but if you are a stupid, insecure, want to be toughguy(if you only had the guts).  and you buy the bad bellybutton dog to prove something about yourself, chain it in the yard and abuse it to show off to your freinds just how tough and sycho-crazy you & your dog.  that dog will over-achieve and be the most unpredictable and dangerouse dog you've ever seen.

but it doesn't just happen, you really have to work to make a pit freak out like that.  put him on a chain, random beattings, or if the owner has a stability problem they will pick up on that too (most dogs take on their owners personality after a couple years.

there are dozens of breeds that are much more unstable,  the difference is that the are mostly small and you don't go to the hospital when they freak out.

of all the dogs I've owned and been exposed to, poodles are by far the most unstable dogs out there.

some dogs are naturaly mean (as in more than 50% are unstable) but pits aren't one of them

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2002, 12:13:54 AM »
Originally posted by Toad

"The Centers for Disease Control study dog bite incidents, including the types of dogs most likely to bite. The breeds that the CDC considers highest risk are pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Doberman pinschers, chows, Great Danes, St. Bernards and Akitas.  

strange how only the big badass looking dogs have a tendency to bite.

Think anything leads up to this report?

I wonder how many people report chihaua bites or dauchsund (can't they just name the freakign dogs like joe and bob and toejam??) bites..

prolly very little cause people hardly notice them and it prolly doesn't do much damage...

If you were going to get a dog and teach it to attack...what would you get?

there are alotta bad people out there doing bad things to animals because they are ignorant or because they are mean.

Instead of stamping out the breed why not have rules about who can have them. People who won't teach them to kill other people for example..

there are alot of these types of rules that could be made..who's allowed to have kids...who's allowed to drive (if you've been pulled over for being drunk 10 times you shouldn't freaking be driving EVER) and who are allowed to own animals.

reacting to the dog itself it's really not getting to the source of the problem..

Like with most things..

It's the humans screwing everything up.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2002, 01:29:30 AM »
Originally posted by Animal

Truth is, pit bulls if raised like any other dog are very loving mutts, very good around children, playful... just like a boxer.

Pit Bulls are just unlucky that the amazinhunks chose them as their pets. If you kill all pit bulls, these amazinhunks will simply find another favorite breed and diddly them up too.

Exactly, Animal. In Sacramento they cracked down on the gang bangers for breeding violent Rottweilers and Pit Bulls, and you know what they did? They started training Lasa Apsos to fight. Hey, I know these dogs LOOK cute with their cute silky long ears and cute little hair ribbons- red ribbons for those Lasa Apsos belonging to the Bloods, blue ribbons for the Lasa Apsos beloning to the Crips- but don't be fooled, once the Gang Bangers get ahold of these dogs they're a menace to the public safety. They tease them with rubber squeak toys and use sling shots to shoot kibble at them to make them viscious. Lasa Apsos is a breed that we should eradicate.

And I'll tell ya ANOTHER breed of dogs I don't like and that's any little dog that humps your leg. I'm sorry, but that's some nasty stuff there. I used to have a girlfriend in High School and whenever I picked her up for a date she always made me wait and I had to sit and talk to her parents while this little dog would hump my leg like he was Ron Jeremy and my shin bone was Jenna Jameson. Of course I tried to do the polite thing and ignore him, and either her parents never noticed what he was doing to my calf muscle as they were asking me what I planned on doing with my life after I got out of High School or else they also were too polite to acknowledge their dog Sparky was glued to my leg. Personally I thought they got off on watching Sparky hump my leg because they never once made him stop,  but whatever, I found out real quick not to wear short pants whenever I had to wait for her in her parents' living room with Sparky on the make.
I'd rather be bitten by a Pit Bull than humped by a Poodle.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2002, 02:54:16 AM »
I agree with Animal.It's not the breed of dog,but how well they're trained...:)
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2002, 04:09:02 AM »
I've heard all my life that pit bulls were a very dangerous and agressive breed of dog.  Just like sharks- some sharks, such as the nurse shark, are docile and non-agressive.  Others, like the hammer-head and bull shark are very agressive.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2002, 05:57:30 AM »
Dogs are all the same species, it's not the disposition of the pit bull that makes it dangerous, it is it's capabilities that make it dangerous .

Oh and best dog I've ever been fortunate enough to know was a Rhodesian ridgeback .
« Last Edit: August 21, 2002, 06:05:03 AM by Samm »

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2002, 06:11:20 AM »
From dogbreedinfo.com an EXCELLENT online resource on dog breeds, I recomend you take a visit if you want to learn a lot about different breeds:

That sly smile, those determined eyes, that unwaning pleasure to please... the mere quality and characteristics of the APBT have evoked more human emotional, rational, and irrational response than any other breed that exists today.  By no means are these dogs people-haters or people-eaters. Their natural aggressive tendencies are toward other dogs and animals, not people. However if they are properly socialized they will not even be aggressive with them. These are truly quality companions for quality owners only! The American Pit Bull Terrier is a good-natured, amusing, extremely loyal and affectionate family pet, which is good with children and adults. Almost always obedient, it is always eager to please its master. It is an extremely courageous and intelligent guard dog that is very full of vitality. Highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death. It is usually very friendly, but has an uncanny ability to know when it needs to protect and when everything is okay. The American Pit Bull Terrier can be willful and needs a firm hand. They are generally okay with other pets if they are raised with them from puppy hood.  For the most part they are very friendly, but not recommended for most people. Excellent with children in the family, they have a high pain tolerance and will happily put up with rough child play. As with any breed, they should not be left alone with unfamiliar children. Originally used as fighting dogs, the powerful American Pit Bull may go for the throat of strange dogs. A minimum of training will produce a tranquil, obedient dog. Socialize very thoroughly when young to combat aggressive tendencies and be sure to keep the dog under control when other dogs are present. It has given outstanding results as a guardian of property, but is at the same time esteemed as a companion dog. When properly trained and socialized, this is a very good dog and a great family companion. Unfortunately, some choose to promote the fighting instinct in the breed, giving it a bad name.[/b]

They also have this picture of a real pedigree Pit Bull Terrier:

Notice how beautiful a pedigree Pit Bull Terrier is, not those retarded mis-breds you see idiots walking around with.
Another problem with the breed is that the thugs who have been giving it a bad name are also awful breeders, wich mean that most common Bull Terriers you see around are inbred retards of the dog world. They are not true American Pit Bull Terriers anymore.
Same thing that happened to Dalmatians. Have you ever had to deal with a very awfully stupid dalmatian? its because of inbreeding that the once graceful fire dog is now a cheap, stupid dog unless you buy it awfully expensive from a reputable breeder.

So, in summary, the American Pit Bull Terrier is one of the finest terriers you can find, and the ill reputation they have is because of abusive owners and inbreeding.

All human fault.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2002, 08:04:20 AM »
Animal: Have you ever dealt with a boxer or a bull terrier?
 Most any dog encyclopedia will tell you that boxers are the best breed to have around children - better than collie even.
 Boxers are very stable and tolerant towards actions that would make another dog snap. Unlike many other breeds boxers are much more uniform in their disposition - you are much less likely to have a surprise.

Samm: Dogs are all the same species, it's not the disposition of the pit bull that makes it dangerous, it is it's capabilities that make it dangerous.
 In the statement "Dogs are all the same species, it's not the disposition ... that makes it dangerous" the conclusion does not follow from teh premice. Do you assume that being the same species, all dog breeds would somehow share a similar disposition? Despite every other attribute being widly different? There is absolutely no reason to believe that even without knowing the facts.
 Dogs breeds were successfully bred for many different qualities - including disposition. The disposition of the breeds differ no less than their appearances.
 Some breeds are agressive, some are less stable, some are brave, some are fragile, some are smarter, etc. Therte are sub-breeds of course - like english vs american boxers) and there is a variation withing each breed. Even amount of that variation is often determined by breed - some of them are amasingly uniform in certain aspects (due to narrower gene pool, I guess).

As for capabilities rather than disposition being more dangerous, a visious fox terrier is about as dengerous to a child as any pit bull.

miko

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2002, 08:18:30 AM »
Knowing where you live Target, I can imagine there are quite a few "Status Dogs" around with the youthful criminal element. Nothing says "I'm a tough drug dealer" quite like a couple of mean Pit-Bulls. Especially if you can't afford, say, a lion. Or a BMW.  

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2002, 08:22:26 AM »
Like humans or other animals, their personality and disposition to society is shaped by experiences from birth not genetics .

I believe there are still breeders that believe mistakenly that aggressive or docile tencancies of canines can be imparted to their offspring via genetics .

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2002, 08:28:21 AM »
irresponsible dog owners (and downright criminal ones) are another excelent reason to allow concealed (or open) carry of firearms.    It is the new danger to the new frontier along with all the new savages.     Just a tool is the sidearm.  Just as much needed today (more so maybe) as on the frontier.  

Any dog not in it's yard is fair game.   You really can't tell.   Before you get all upset... I had a boxer that would routinely leap 6 foot fences and was the gentelest dog around but.... I would not blame someone who thought they were protecting themselves or loved ones by shooting it during one of it's escapes.   It would run up to people and it was hyper and fast and muscular and.... kinda scary I would imagine to some.

I work on large acerage and have shot quite a few dogs.   the farmers (and gentelmen ranchers) let em run wild and they "pack up".   Had to shoot three at one time.  one was gut shot and managed to get away.   Hope he died on his owners porch.
lazs

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2002, 08:44:29 AM »
leave the dog alone, destroy the owner
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2002, 08:49:33 AM »
eagler... fortunately it seems that it has become easier to hold owners responsible lately.   I see no problem with destroyng the owner if a dog kills a person tho.
lazs

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2002, 09:02:44 AM »
Originally posted by Samm
Dogs are all the same species, it's not the disposition of the pit bull that makes it dangerous, it is it's capabilities that make it dangerous .

You can breed disposition. Even Animal's post from dogbreedinfo speaks to it...

"Their natural aggressive tendencies..."

"Almost always obedient..."

"...can be willful and needs a firm hand."

These are all descriptions of disposition. Certainly, an owner can can train to reduce or increase the behavior, but the underlying tendencies are there to begin with.
sand

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2002, 08:51:13 AM »
Yeap, and the Pit's natural disposition is very meek.

Just like you can train and raise naturally aggressive dogs good behavior, you can also very easily take a naturally gentle dog like the pit bull and turn it into a monster.