Author Topic: Pit Bulls  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2002, 08:24:26 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
If I see either one of those sweethearts out in the field with me I'm gonna put a bullet in em.  You wanna keep em then leave em in your yard or house and act responsibly.  No excuses.   If you are crippled or stupid then you probly need some attack dog to defend you but don't let it get around me if you don't wanna have to buy and new one.    

Personally... I think you look stupid picking up dogshit.
lazs

Wow, you sure dont take a break to announce what a tough macho-man you are! :rolleyes:

Go back to your den you popsicle. You bark too loud.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2002, 08:38:47 AM »
hmm... a pit bull owner calling me a popsicle?  life just keeps getting stranger.  
lazs

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2002, 09:35:56 AM »
There are to many idiots that no nothing about the breed or the history of the breed, but seem to want it banned because some idiot owner didnt raise it as a pet.

I may or may not fall into that group of to many idiots who no nothing.

I just know what I see in the news and in the shelters. But your post seems to back me up more than not.

For instance assuming your numbers are correct, why on Earth would anyone want a dog with a bite strength like a shop vise? No good reason. As has been mentioned many times in this thread, a Lab or a Shepard can do plenty of damage with their paltry (comparative) bites.

Then I see 2 people arguing who's dog would kill the other sooner! Are you freakin blind? Who cares! You guys sound like a couple of little boys arguing over who's daddy can lick who's daddy.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2002, 09:51:10 AM »
Unless you get a Pit from birth and raise it yourself, chances are it's been taught to fight.

All animals have instincts.

Pits, Rotweilers and I think one other dog are illegal in Washington, DC, MD, and VA.

You can't have 'em because too many people were using them for dogfights.

Recently they cracked down on it, found something like 20+ dogs at this one particular training facility. Most of them died from dehydration and lack of food.

When you place an animal in these kinds of conditions, and train them to fight, exactly what do you expect?

Give me 3 years with a Shar-Pei and I could turn him into worse than a Pit. They were, afterall, Royal Chinese guard dogs... extremely loyal, but extremely vicious when trained properly.

Point being, you can't blame an animal for what it's owner did to it. An animal is no different than a child, you can program them whichever way you want to.. and as long as no one else comes along to reprogram them, they'll be just the way they were trained to be.

Pits aren't going to just one day kill a baby, but the ones that were trained to fight, and/or raised aggresively, probably will.

So if we are going to destroy Pits, I want the owner(s) to get the same. Otherwise, you are just a hypocrite and only solving less than 1/8th of the problem.
-SW

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Pit Bulls
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2002, 10:25:24 AM »
IMO it's how you raise your animal.
It's similar to kids.  Parents that don't take the time/effort to teach their kids the right way to do things end up with problem kids.  Of course these same parents are blaming the schools, or TV or whatever when it comes down to what is taught at home.  
Same with dogs.  Generally speaking they will pick up the traits of their owners... good or bad.

That's not to say Animal had any choice with his upbringing.. so I guess we can't fault him for being and FDB.  However.. maybe we can blame the FDB's....

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2002, 10:51:17 AM »
imo too many laws are being made because of mean/stupid/lazy people already.

I'd rather those people just be identified and punished individually but there's just too many of them so we all have our lives limited by their handsomehunk mistakes.

This thread really isn't about a dogtype it's about more stupid humans who screw things up because they are mean/ignorant/lazy.

Identify them, limit their freaking rights as individuals or ship them off to France.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2002, 10:57:45 AM »
and no i dont want my dog to fight pits or any other dog. the last time he did it attacked him. but i get  tired of pit bull owners acting like it is a war dog when its not. and that it has the most powerfull bite when its not even close. and that they are loveing when i have people try to give them away to me literaly weekly because they keep attacking everything that is not family and are as trainable as a lizard.  

cite on the 2700 lb figure from a police dog trainer. googled from "rottweiler bite pressure"

http://snapper.millersv.edu/Stories/19980424%20/News/Hero_Ryan.html

p.s. same google with pit claimes 1600 and 2000 :)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2002, 02:38:19 PM »
most pit bull owners aren't smart enough to realize that the dog lives many years but the lease for their rental is only for a year.  

I really love it when some 30 year old talks about the 6 or 10 dogs he has owned.
lazs

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2002, 02:42:50 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2

I really love it when some 30 year old talks about the 6 or 10 dogs he has owned.
lazs

Amen brother. I turn 45 next week and I've had 3......  total!

well 4 if ya count that part coyote squeak in my back yard that my wife and daughters seem to like.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2002, 02:45:04 PM »
And BTW, I love watching those Dog Shows on Animal Planet because it is the only time you are bound to hear "That is one fine squeak." on regular television spoken by a guy with a straight face.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2002, 03:09:03 PM »
most pit bull owners aren't smart enough to realize that the dog lives many years but the lease for their rental is only for a year

sadly too true where I live.  Many people here in the mountains own dogs.  Many more that move here want to join the crowd".
Very few have permanent residences and our Animal Services gals always have to put down otherwise good animals.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Pit Bulls
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2002, 03:33:03 PM »
IWill agree that I wouldn't take a pit that is over 3 months old. But not because they have been trained to fight, just because the usually haven't been trained at all.

Most people have no idea how to train a dog.  I the people in the house behind me have 7 Chihuahua's (sp?) they got all 7 on the same day as puppies, no older dog to show the puppies proper behavior and no way to train all 7 at the same time, without some serious time on your hands and some way to separate them so you can do it one at a time.

As far as all people who own pits being wimps or trying to prove something (para-phrased from several posts before) there are many good reasons to own one.  

Current dog is a chow/pit mix.  3rd of this mix I've owned.  Great dogs, and the pit gives them an excellent disposition, great reasoning brain, and amazing loyalty to her family, also calms down some of the intensity natural to chows.

While the chow in her gives a longer velvet like hair that hides some of the muscles so as not to advertise the pit in her (bad publicity, ya know). Plus chows are very clean, excellent if you are having the dog in the house.

My dog is here for security, bought her when the youngest was 6 months old and would never hesitate to trust her with the baby.  She would run and hide from small children because they chew on her ears, and climb all over her.

If an adult would annoy of mess with her she may growl to warn them off but she has never growled at a child (she is 12 years old).

She also is the friendliest dog you've ever seen if you come visit (as long as a family member has let you in).

However if you come into my yard over the fence, or pop the door on your own, God help you.

I bought her because I often travel out of town levying my wife and kids at home.  It’s very comforting to know she's there.
In the 12 years I've had her she has bitten twice.  

When she was 2 I had ridden home from out of town with another guy (my car had broken down). I had been working night shift and couldn't sleep, so was working in the basement at 2am with no car in the driveway, so it appeared that I wasn't home.  I heard a crash (thought one of the kids had knocked something over, turned out to be the back door busting open) so I headed upstairs.  Then I heard the second door open and the dog take off from where she sleeps. Then a struggle as I ran up the stairs.  As I got to the back door I see the guy roll over the fence, a blood trail leading from the middle of the living room to where he jumped the fence.  The next morning when I looked around outside I found muddy footprints on the back porch where the guy had stood outside my bedroom door and looked in to where my wife had been sleeping alone.  This guy had more than robbery on his mind and my only regret is she didn't tear him up more.

She also chewed a guy up who was in the yard after midnight stealing tools from my shed.

Basically pits are very easy to train (it's not the chow in her, I've owned pure breds of both breeds and pits are much easier to handle) and the are IMO the best guard dog you could own if it needs to be in complex situations, like being friendly to someone if you let him in as a guest but willing to take him down if your visitor comes back to burglarize you the next night.

If you just want a dog to turn loose inside a fence and bite anyone who enters (to guard your business or whatever) get a rotty but if it also needs to be part of your family, and know it's place without challenging your kids for a more dominant position go with a pit.  rot's are good dogs but they are often willing to challenge others in the family to go for a higher position.  Dogs are primarily a pack animal and need to be related to on that level.

But if you don't have the time of knowledge to train your dog properly please do them, yourself, the people around you, and all us pit owners a favor and pick another dog, or better yet just get a statue of a dog.  

The issue really isn't breed of dog it's training.  Any dog, when untrained or trained improperly is a menace.  

Btw- I am one of the 30++ owned dogs, guys in my 30's. And while some of you may find that odd. I find such strong opinions on breeds by guys who have owned 2 or 3 dogs of 1 or 2 breeds and also petted a friends dog occasionally and where scared once by a pit to be ridiculous when they have such expert knowledge on what makes a dog bad.  It’s a lot like guys who watch 'saving Private Ryan' and 'black hawk down' all of a sudden becoming experts on military tactics

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2002, 08:56:47 AM »
I will admit that a well trained dog is no problem for me but.... I rarely see a well trained dog.  Hooligan has 5 of em and other than slobering on me they are no problem.   they don't get loose and they don't bark all day and night and none of em will ever end up in an animal "shelter" or end up hurting someone.  

He is by far the exception to the rule in dog owners tho.  Most haven't a clue.   they leave their large work dog breeds outside in a postage stamp sized yard day and night and don't care if they bark constantly... or .. they let em escape and terrorize the neigborhood... when they have to move they drive the dog out to country and "free" it to starve slowly to death.   the "shelters" are jam packed with these dog lovers fruits.

I get along well with dogs.   I have also shot more than a dozen of em out in the country.   The ranchers hang the dead dogs on the barbed wire fences to rot.

as for the myth of protection....  bull.   most small dogs are much more alert and will warn of intrusion.   Even old and feeble as I am.... being warned is all I need..  I can do the rest.   I certainly don't need some dumb mutt complicating things by getting in the way and/or causing legal problems.

My guess is that 1 in 20 current dog owners should be dog owners.   I got nothing against owning dogs but it is a big responsibility and a lot of drudgery and most are not up to it.  Besides... if I wanted something slavishly following me around with lovesick eyes I would chjange my 1 hour rule for girlfriends.
lazs

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2002, 10:56:18 AM »
Originally posted by Samm
Like humans or other animals, their personality and disposition to society is shaped by experiences from birth not genetics .

I believe there are still breeders that believe mistakenly that aggressive or docile tencancies of canines can be imparted to their offspring via genetics .

Thats a crock. You ever see a pointer point? It doesn't have to be taught.

You ever see a lab swim? Head for EVERY puddle in sight? The owners didn't have to repeatedly throw the dog into the water to get it to enjoy the water.

Wolfhounds don't go into burrows chasing badgers.

Instinctual and  basic behaviour in a dog are genetic. They are inherent to the breed. It is bred into them.

You can change a breed or create a new one by using selective breeding and some basic genetics.

You can change its height, color, size, coat length and type as well as just about any attribute you can think of in a dog. This includes disposition.

Pit bulls are bad dogs, a bad breed. They have been  bred to fight to the death and kill what the can. They may not have started out thata way, but that IS what they've been bred for for many years.  

Dalmations aint on my hot list either. The only dog that ever bit me, and the F'er didn't even have the decency to bark first.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
Pit Bulls
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2002, 11:20:27 AM »
I had a DAl..  what work !

they can be very agressive if not raised correctly or if left alone too much.  Definately a dog that needs a lot of attention.
However, if raised correctly they are great.

I wouldn't have one around children though.

And that damned movie.. sheesh.  So many people went out and brought lil' dal puppies home..   only to dump them in the pounds later.  sad.

btw.  I agree about breeding.  
The dalmaition was bred to 'protect' the carriages and run between the legs of the horses.  Later firemen used them to protect the fire-engines from being stolen as the fought fires.
very protective and territorial (read aggressive tendancies)