Author Topic: Economy Woes Overstated?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Economy Woes Overstated?
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2002, 11:50:05 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Without reading this entire post, our company, in the fiscal year ending September 30th, had record sales and profits. We also have employed 200 additional people and built another plant.

Go figure?

aren't you riding the same "bubble" as home sales .. i.e. low interest rate loans?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Economy Woes Overstated?
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2002, 12:35:17 PM »
Well maybe some, but not the major factor.

We actually got a boost from the events of 9-11 (as sad as that is to admit). People are tending to vacation in safer more traditional ways, and RV's fit nicely into that niche.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Economy Woes Overstated?
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2002, 02:39:40 PM »
Anyone remember Clinton's State of the Union address where he claimed recessions were a thing of the past? Hehe, you just had to chuckle at such a statement. I mean, a guy that smart had to know that wasn't true, and that he was therefore lying to the people.

...but maybe a few gullible people would believe it...

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Economy Woes Overstated?
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2002, 02:41:50 PM »
Originally posted by Kieran
Anyone remember Clinton's State of the Union address where he claimed recessions were a thing of the past? Hehe, you just had to chuckle at such a statement. I mean, a guy that smart had to know that wasn't true, and that he was therefore lying to the people.

...but maybe a few gullible people would believe it...

There are still a few gullible people that still think HE was responsible for a good economy (Hardcase comes to mind ;) )

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Economy Woes Overstated?
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2002, 06:18:25 PM »
I can tell you that the US economy isn't doing so well.

DK generally is doing quite good, despite of the worldwide trend. We got a demography problem, but that's another issue.

One sector that's extremely dependent on the US and the rest of the world is the IT sector. And it's not going too well. Sent in three resumes, already gotten a no on all three.

They want Java programmers with 7 years experience. Hm, how long has Java existed? They want 25 year old with 30 year of experience.

There's no one hiring the newly educated, because that means low productivity the first few months.

This sucks. I have to go clean up in old folks houses for the next 20 days. Got an education so I could get away from that toejam :/

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Economy Woes Overstated?
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2002, 06:27:01 PM »
Perhaps HE was responsible for the confindence during the 90s that is drying up in the 2000s. I dont trust George to even consider my demographics in his policies.

HC

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Economy Woes Overstated?
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2002, 06:27:33 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
There are still a few gullible people that still think HE was responsible for a good economy (Hardcase comes to mind ;) )

But Regan could control the enconomy to wipe out the USSR?

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Economy Woes Overstated?
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2002, 08:03:36 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
But Regan could control the enconomy to wipe out the USSR?

Economics and fiscal policy 101:

Reagan lobbied congress (who spends, taxes and borrows, by constitutional law) to increase military spending, and that increase convinced the Soviet Union to try to keep up, which they were unable to do due to thier vain attempts at a centralized, governmentally controlled economy.

No US President controls the US economy, it runs on its own, and responds to the collective emotion of those of us who are involved with it.

What is the value of a particular stock?

Whatever the collective emotion thinks it is, just like tulips in Holland.

Government spending, borrowing, and taxation are factors in the outlook of the people, but they are not the only factors.  They can influence to some extent, but they do not control[/b] the economy.  The President does not have absolute power over these three factors either.

The Chairman of the Federal Reserve has a much stronger hand on the tiller of the economy, but that will be covered when we talk about monetary policy.

A much bigger influence is whether I and a million others, really want that new car or the new X Box.

End of chapter one.:rolleyes:
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline whgates3

• Silver Member
Economy Woes Overstated?
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2002, 12:42:06 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
...What is the value of a particular stock?

Whatever the collective emotion thinks it is, just like tulips in Holland....

thats the price - value is something quite different

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Economy Woes Overstated?
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2002, 12:59:43 AM »
hang in there dood it'll come, I sent resumes out for 8 months, (March 2001-Nov 2001)had a few interviews but was a bad fit.

finding out that 200 applicants or more was the norm for the few positions that were open (this in the seattle area nerd heaven)

went into one interview up against 500 other applicants, narrowed down to 13 final people for second interview.

I got the job. oh and btw took about a 10 grand pay cut =/   it'll get better it has to.

hang in there it's a really really really hard time right now(unless you are frenchy / Damn his good luck ) and it won't stay that way long term.

Originally posted by StSanta
This sucks. I have to go clean up in old folks houses for the next 20 days. Got an education so I could get away from that toejam :/
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
Economy Woes Overstated?
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2002, 01:16:03 AM »
Pleas never try to bring news media & truth together the are diametrically opposed ! It would create an unstable mass and kill us all

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Economy Woes Overstated?
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2002, 01:22:49 AM »
Thanks for the info Holden.

How do you know that the USSR increased military spending to keep up?

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
Economy Woes Overstated?
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2002, 01:45:52 AM »
Good ole Reagonomics, its called deficit spending and it was just dumb luck that the Soviets went under before we did, take a visit back to Woodrow Wilsons term when he caved to J.P. Morgan that about when America started the downward fall, was a great piece on PBS about it and how its tied into the WMF our own Federal reserve, the outlawing of a citizen owning gold, the Federal reserve note a whole lotta things was a great program.