Author Topic: Bombing  (Read 385 times)

Offline SkyWorm

• Zinc Member
Bombing
« on: August 23, 2002, 09:08:54 PM »
I deleted Ah and DL it again. Still have the same problem. The bomb cal not turning green. Clicking on the clipborad does not set the alt :( .........  I do the U and the Y and the U keys. This bombing thing is a mess.

Offline marauder

• Copper Member
Hey Skyworm...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2002, 09:57:13 PM »
I had the same prob. then I noticed that after you download and install the program the U and Y keys are NOT set as the two default keys you use for bomb calibration. Go to setup from the clipboard and then keymapping. You might find that bombsite calibration keys are set to "NONE" and you have to set them manually to Bombsight Calibration Mode Key "U" and Bombsight Markpoint Key "Y".:(
« Last Edit: August 23, 2002, 10:01:50 PM by marauder »
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now, I am SO far behind, I will never die!

Offline SkyWorm

• Zinc Member
Calibration Bombing mode
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2002, 09:50:33 AM »
I have done that and new DL had it set. Is there a way for someone to fly with me and see u i am doing wrong or at least see the steps.:confused:

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Bombing
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2002, 11:46:35 AM »
What part isnt turning green?

hit f6.
Press U(Or whatgever key youve bound, at this point the text should say "calibration mode" or something to that effect, it it doesnt the key isnt bound)
Click the spot on the map you want to bomb.
Now find a spot along your flight path, put it in your crosshairs, hold Y, follow the point as lojng as you can, release Y.
hit U again, you should be all set.

Make sure you open your bomb bay door when you take off, so you dont need to worry abotu the added drag from it.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Bombing
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2002, 07:19:24 PM »
Hopefully you've figured it out by now but just in case.

The green cross hairs only work in the Training Arena and Offline Arena.  They only work if you have bombs so they work for both fighters with bombs and level bombers.

You said you were having trouble setting the target altitude so I'm guessing you had found the bombsight and couldn't click the target on the clipboard.  Check to see if your text buffer is expanded and covers the clipboard.  If you've made the background transparent, you won't see the extra layer over the clipboard.  Simply shrink the text buffer and click your target on the clipboard.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline SkyWorm

• Zinc Member
Bombing
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2002, 08:05:44 PM »
Same old crap, maybe by MS Precision 2 is not the right stick to work with AH bombing/ i plan on taking snapshots to show that the calibration just not working.:(

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Bombing
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2002, 10:29:29 AM »
Skyworm, when can we hook up to work you through this?

I'm free Afternoons Central time, possible weekends.

Give me a yell, btw I use MS Sidewinder Prec 2 also so I KNOW it can be done. Your just missing some little thing.

I suspect its in the altitude set.

billj@btinet.net

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Bombing
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2002, 12:22:19 PM »
SkyWorm, take Ghosth up on his offer :) There's a lot more to bombing in V1.10 patch 4 than just the green cross.  btw, the green cross didn't exist before the latest version, can't help but wonder...

In the meantime, go Offline and pick a Lancaster, start your take off roll and watch from the pilots seat.  After a few seconds the green cross will start to creep up the screen as it tries to paint the spot up ahead on the runway where your bombs would hit if you released.

gl
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline SkyWorm

• Zinc Member
Bombing
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2002, 04:25:46 PM »
Sounds great, I did some experimenting last night online. I know about the green cross hair.  Anyway I finally got the red to turn to green by holding the Y key for 10 seconds, go figure. Then I press the U key and the bombsight is set but seems to be drifting or running sidways ?  Things are looking better.  Bombs are still  hitting off the target, in other words, bombs hit the other side of the runway.;)

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
Bombing
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2002, 04:20:21 PM »
One question:
where you flying east west or north south line
Did you make any alignment correction when in the bomb sight. I was having the same problem where my alignment was off either right or left and used the joystick to correct and still missed. Since then I now use the J and L key to trim the plane rudder to correct for mis alignment this made a big difference. Also keep your speed at 80% of max power. In a B17 I set manfold to 35-40 and Rpm to 2000.  This give me an air speed of about 200 mph. Once this is stable then do the calibration.
Also any variation of the joystick when doing the speed check can cause you to be either short or long on drop.  
Go offline setup the flight mode for the dive bomb sight and practice setting up the speed calibration it is something how you may think you are holding steady and where the green cross hairs align when you hit U. I did this set of the y claication  again and again for about 2 hours and the drop point was always off either short or long but kept getting closer to being on the mark of the bombsight cross hairs.
Takes time and patience to set it up correctly.
Now if AH would give us some good stat targets that will effect the performance of the other countries would be nice.

DarkHawk
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)

Offline explorer

• Zinc Member
question
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2002, 05:05:12 PM »
Hi guys, I'm relatively new to this game. I realize the green bombing crosshair appears only in offline/training, but how do you turn it on? I looked in arena settings and couldn't find anything..

thanks - Noob :)

Offline SkyWorm

• Zinc Member
Bombing
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2002, 05:48:45 PM »
You need to go to Setup/Arena setting/Flightmode Flags click on change with an X:p

Offline SavedSaint

• Copper Member
Bombing
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2002, 06:16:14 PM »
I thought about making a new post concerning my question so that it might get proper attention,  but i thought it would be nicer to leave it in here, since it deals with bombing.

First i use to play aces back when the bombing was just f6, 0 (or face down) and then zoom to target and release.

Now it is was different and much harder to bomb.  Already i have to gun my plane (most of the time) which leaves less time for last minute bomb set ups.  Now since i have to hold down some button to target my bombs i loss time for defending my plane.

So my question is simple.

First i hit f6 and see some red info on my upper left screen.

Something about alt, and hit u for calb.

What i don;'t understand is what do i need to calb.

Once i see crosshairs and drop a bomb does the bomb land where the crosshairs point at the time i release the bomb, or does it follow another path.

I noticed i would drop bombs on target according to crosshairs but my bombs would totaly miss.  

So i held down y, but do i do that on the clipboard or on a target on my crosshairs.  IF on crosshairs, *sometimes i don;t have 2 secs for crosshairs on that target since i am flying over it.

I did the click on map thing but i don;'t understand what it does.  

Anyway can i get some answers please i realy need the help.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
SavedSaint
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2002, 08:21:46 PM »
Start with Kweassas' excellent primer here...

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57667

Good Luck.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline SavedSaint

• Copper Member
Bombing
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2002, 09:27:02 PM »
exellent post that guy made,

i think i shall go practice

Later