Author Topic: Tile making 101 !!!  (Read 354 times)

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Tile making 101 !!!
« on: August 27, 2002, 09:30:25 PM »
Ok, heres the basics of making tiles. This is How "I" make perfectly seamless tiles. Others may do it differently, this may seam long and involved but once you get the hang of it, it only takes 1 minute or so to do this whole process.

I work with CorelDraw everyday as my proffession, so I will use Corel as a reference ( and slang) but there are many good to great programs out there including ( cough,cough) Photoshop.

Photoshop is the industry standard of illustration and /or for books ( quark) and go hand in hand with adobi illustrator.

Photoshop is pixel based, while Illustrator is vector based.

Coreldraw is the INDUSTRY standard for textile based artwork and is bundled with corelpaint, again one is vector based while the other is pixel based.

Again My references and termanology will be from Corel, what Corel calls one thing Photoshop may call it another but both will do the same.

You can use topography photos or whatever you want, size doesn't matter but a few simple rules will apply.

Tools:
You will need a graphics program.

Open up a new page and set the page sixe to 256 pixels by 256 pixels in 24 bit RGB NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!

(see fig.1)

work with all you photos and tile in 24bit, and when finished just convert them to 8-bit, If you don't they will show up as a BLACK tile in your map.

Now that you have a page import your art or photo, if the photo is to big don't worry see fig2 the grey area. apply your imported art and combine with background, this will automatically trim off all the overlapping art to fit within the page:)
(see fig.2)

The black edges or lines represent the page size, the yellow will represent the art or photo for future reference:)

Now take your finished art from figure 2 and copy and paste it on itself and shift the art using the bump or move keys so you don't Raise the art up or down but only side to side. Move it half way over the other art ( but any movement is acceptable).
you should have this
(see fig.3)

Now paste ANOTHER one over those and shift this one to the right so the edges of the 2 butt up against each other. zoom in if you have to this is extremely important the 2 tiles butt up against each other you cannot be off 1 pixel.
(see fig.4)

Now Paste all to background( Corelpaint calls it Combine all objects with background)
you should have this
(see fig.5)

Now select your clone tool. in fig.6 the white represents the clone tool Pick-up and release. The white circle I'm picking up that part of the art and the white x is where i am coping the art to. What we are doing here is eliminating the hard edge we got combining these tiles together. Your clone tool has many shapes, i set mine with a feathered edge so it blends nicely.
(see fig.6)

Repeat this process vertically
(see fig.7)

remeber to combine to background , you SHOULD end up with this
(see fig.8)

Now save as 8 BIT!!!!!!!!!! and call it terr0001 if it is to be used as grass and throw it in your map folder your working on.

ANY questions?

Next lesson, how to make more than 1 tile transition to water? or transition tiling?????

NUTTZ
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy"

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Tile making 101 !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2002, 12:30:56 AM »
Great info Nuttz - thx. Pretty much I've been using with Xara and Corel photopaint but with much less success so far. :D
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Hawk52

• Zinc Member
      • http://WWW.169THSSF.ORG
Tile making 101 !!!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2002, 05:41:22 AM »
Thanks for the lesson Nuttz....Information is POWER  :)

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Tile making 101 !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2002, 09:36:50 AM »
I assume Illustrator will do the same as Corel since it's vector based.

btw.. I love Photoshop for well... photos :)

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Tile making 101 !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2002, 06:57:00 PM »
Theres a BUG in CorelPaint 9 when you Cut and paste or copy paste It throws it 1 pixel to the right, so after you paste use your default "bump" and hit your left arrow 1 time, THAT will place it dead center

NUTTZ
Originally posted by detch01
Great info Nuttz - thx. Pretty much I've been using with Xara and Corel photopaint but with much less success so far. :D

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Tile making 101 !!!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2002, 07:20:17 PM »
Excellent Nuttz!

Pokie

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Tile making 101 !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2002, 09:00:14 PM »
heh, i have 5 gfx programs, 3 i use quite a bit

MS Paint
PSP
and the Corals

Offline MwDOODY

• Zinc Member
      • http://most-wanted.org
HEY NUTTZ!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2003, 10:20:52 AM »
where's that "how to transition to water" doc u were talking about??

and why havent u been online!!!!!!!

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Re: HEY NUTTZ!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2003, 06:06:19 PM »
I upgraded to winXP and now none of my old analog ch stuff works, I need to back down to win98SE, or break down and buy new USB stuff. Sold my house and been using all my extra time to find another. I've been remodeling my store and I just bought new equipment, just been really busy IRL. Settlement is May 15th, so I'll be without internet access until i find a new house. I'll know tomorrow if my offer is accepted on a house i bid on, even then Settlement isn't till July 1st. So i won't be around for awhile.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by MwDOODY
where's that "how to transition to water" doc u were talking about??

and why havent u been online!!!!!!!

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Tile making 101 !!!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004, 09:20:54 PM »

Nuttz .. could you please re-post them images that go with this post?
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Tile making 101 !!!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2004, 10:37:50 PM »
Originally posted by JB73

Nuttz .. could you please re-post them images that go with this post?

http://www.accesswave.ca/~tscott/AH-stuff/AH-Editor&Stuff/TileMaking101Basics.zip

This is what Nuttz had on his post.

Pokie

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Tile making 101 !!!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2004, 04:13:29 AM »
TY sir
I don't know what to put here yet.