Author Topic: Plane Types  (Read 324 times)

Offline SavedSaint

• Copper Member
Plane Types
« on: August 29, 2002, 01:42:00 PM »
I was doing some searching and on a web page a player talked about two types of planes.  

He said someting like, that all planes come under to major cats, turners and or fast.

He also informed me that certain planes can do better against other planes.

So along the lines of losing so many dog fights i was wondering where i could get a good idea of those types of planes, or where i could find out some good info on some plane types.

Got a website or something.

Please help

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Plane Types
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2002, 04:41:39 PM »
The only real factor is that of wing-loading. Wing-loading is the lift factor of the wing in relation to the weight of the aircraft (someone will prolly give a better explanation). The planes with low wing-loading have a better SUSTAINED turn advantage - ie at slow speeds. Planes with a high wing-loading do not turn so well at slow speeds.

So, the planes that have a low wing-loading are the ones you want to try to press a turn-fight with, and the ones that dont are the ones you want to avoid hard turning in.

SUSTAINED turn performance is a relative concept. Ie a P-51 will beat a B17 in a sustained turn match, where as a spit will maul a p51 in a sustained turn match, where a zeke will eat a spit etc etc etc.

As (dubious) rough rule of thumb: the better the sustained turn performance a plane has the slower it is in top speed. Although this is not always the case. Its has more to do with design philosophies and engine/propellor/wing performance as the war progressed.

Late model fighters tend to sacrifice sustained turn performance for improvements in speed, range, and instantaneous turn performance. They tended to get heavier and faster.

Bottom line: Know the plane you fly, know its relative SUSTAINED turn ability to other planes you will likely encounter. This means a bit of homework/learning-curve. Know when to press a turn-fight home, and when to adopt another tactic (ie Energy fighting - which is another matter all together).

Note i mention SUSTAINED turn rate. This is different from instantaneous turn-rate. Again, this is another matter.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline SavedSaint

• Copper Member
Plane Types
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2002, 07:39:42 PM »
okay so what are 2 planes
that can have each turn rate.  

If you can name a few you know that are sustained and inst. i will value it....

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Plane Types
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2002, 07:48:18 PM »
190D9
P51
Typhoon
La7

All fast, all turn bad compared to:

A6M2/5
Hurricane
Spit V/Seafire/Spit 1
FM2

All turners

Gatso

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Plane Types
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2002, 08:32:56 PM »
I dont think you can break down the plane set into two categories. Try not to think of it in that way, rather as a continuim with planes falling somewhere along that line.

At one end we have the ultimate turners like
- Zeke (A6m)
- Spit 1 + V + seafire
- Hurricane

At the other end you have pure Boom 'n Zoom and/or Energy fighters like
- 109s (later models)
- 190s
- P51
- P47
- tiffie

and then you get planes that fall between them:
spit 9, 14
older 109s
la7, la5
n1k2

The type you fly versus the type you engage should dictate your tactical approach, given known relative performance differences. ie use you advantages against the enemies weaknesses.

The real trick is building up your knowleged base of how all the planes in the planeset perform in which conditions - something you got to find out yourself.

Also remember angles/turning is only one of several ways to win a fight...
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Plane Types
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2002, 03:09:24 AM »
It's important to realise that the phrases "boom and zoomer" and "turn and burner" are relative, not absolute classes.

What that means is that when a Spitfire fights a Zero; it will be a BnZ fight; as the spitfire is faster; and the Zero more manouverable. The Spitfire will fight using high speed passes;(the boom); run away a bit (the zoom); and repeat.

However; in a Fw 190/Spitfire fight; the roles are reversed; as in that case; the 190 is faster and the Spit more manouverable.

Take a look at your stats from HTC's web page; and see what's killing you most.

Then; alternate a night of flying your favourite plane with a night flying the plane that kills you most to see where each one is strong; and each is weak.

It's well worth noting that every single fighter plane in AH is a genuine killer; with it's own strengths. The successfull amongs us are those who are adept at recognising those strengths and applying them.

It's more important to know what your ride (and your target) can do than it is to get caught up in "text book standard fighting styles".

It's often a very good idea to go along for a ride with a more experienced flyier (you know you can do this?) and see exactly how he reacts to situations.

Offline SavedSaint

• Copper Member
Plane Types
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2002, 02:32:30 PM »
thanks for the input  guys.  I need it.  

Cause i was kind of getting bored with getting in the air and getting mauled every 5 mins.

But i guess it takes a bit of patience..

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
Plane Types
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2002, 03:54:16 PM »
To learn patience fly a bomber on a high altitude mission and return. You will find time to do a lot on a long bomber mission at 30k

DarkHawk
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Plane Types
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2002, 04:56:03 PM »
heres a great website for ya ...Hammers net aces

Also  Film your dogfights (  Alt R  )   this is one of the fastest ways to learn here. you may lose alot at 1st but the films will show you the mistackes.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation