Author Topic: Workable solutions to ground target nonsense.  (Read 188 times)

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
Workable solutions to ground target nonsense.
« on: March 15, 2001, 05:17:00 PM »
1. Ability to deploy units from a field, port, etc.

1A. Keep hangars. Put rearm 'hot points' in hangars. This actually makes sense. If you are on the ground stationary for 30 seconds, why not have some cover versus strafing and bombs over your head? If you are going to have explosive ordinance and boxes of MG and cannon shells 'in the open' better that they have *some* protection.

1B. Put 'revetments' for fighters, bombers, and ground vehicles at fields. If 90% or more of the *active* (see below) revetments for a unit type are intact, launch operations are unhindered. If all of the *active* revetments are knocked out, a field can launch 1 unit of that type per 60 seconds. Players trying to launch when too many *active* revetments are 'off line' are placed on a waiting list, and told what position they are in. 2 or 3 capping fighters can keep 1 launch per 60 seconds down. Alot of 'experts' won't like losing their high k/d ratio based on strafing fighters on takeoff...oh well. 8)

What do I mean by 'active'? A large field has 20 fighter revetments scattered all over the field. Only 10 of them are 'active'. In other words, if 2 of the 10 'active' ones are hit you begin to see a reduction in the ability of the field to launch fighters at will. Here's the catch - it's impossible to tell which revetments are active and which are not. They can even change every 60 seconds if they are undamaged. Give bomber guys more bomber perk points for destruction of an active revetment. Make fighters spawning on a field appear at random revetments. This prevents spawn point 'camping' (much to the chagrin of all those phony AH 'Tank Aces'). Oh well. 8)

2. When radar systems are knocked out, instead of losing all radar like abilities, color goes away.

I've heard several truly clueless CHEATERS justify 'off map' raids by saying it's the only thing that can counter 'gaydar'. They seem to think that it's unrealistic that their altitude, course, speed, etc. are known to the enemy fairly well once they are in enemy airspace.

Both England and Germany had very accurate and very extensive ground observer networks when they were fighting over their own soil. Combat units on the ground report the strength, altitude, and heading of spotted enemy air units as best as possible to a higher HQ.

So, 2 major changes to the radar system.

1. Intact radar gives altitude to the nearest 2,000-3,000' bracket, and speed to the nearest 25 MPH TAS bracket. This makes knocking out radar very important for strategic bombing types. They can actually be intercepted like they were in real life now.

2. If the radar is knocked out, then data reported on enemy in a sector goes to 'ground based observer' mode. All 'dots' are placed 'off target' by 3-5 'dot widths' on the in flight map. All dots are the same color. Sector strength bars are now 1 bar of the same color representing the total number of air units in a sector. Ground observers help, but they aren't perfect and don't have the specialized command and control that a purpose built air defense radar network has.

Altitude reports from ground based observers are randomly (up or down) rounded to the nearest 5,000' bracket. Speed is not given. Heading reports can vary +/- 20 degrees either way.

It could be cool. You could actually bounce guys in their airpace if you knocked the radar out, but if you knocked the radar out the entire side would not be 'clueless'.

=============================================

Before anyone goes on a 'don't tamper with my cheese' flame attack...

I like bombers.
I like fighters.
I like ground vehicles.
I like to get 1 kill an hour in a Ta-152 if I'm in the mood.
I like to get 5 kills in 90 seconds on the deck with little hope of survival if I'm in the mood.

I don't think I'm biased for or against any playing 'style' in AH.

Mike (wulfie)